[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Job Help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
Hello /adv. I need some help to prepare myself for a future job. I want to work as a software engineer or in a very closely related field.

I only know two computer languages so far : Html and Python.

I am willing to dedicate myself to learning. I am currently in college studying a different field, but it is extremely easy and I also have no job at the moment, so I can spend a lot of time on learning this summer as well as next year.

My question is : what other language and/or skills do I need to learn to make sure I can get a job?
>>
>>17337663
Learn a web dev tech stack. Some backend framework like RoR or Django since you already know Python. JavaScript and a modern frontend framework like Angular or React. Pick up CSS along the way and make some browser games or a cool website. Learn the basics of source control, use GitHub to host your projects. Read up on relational databases and know how to write complex queries. Understand the basics of data structures and complexity and common algorithms, you shouldn't be afraid of math. Be familiar with operating and navigating a Unix shell, along with commonly used tools like grep, xargs, find, sed, etc. Practice with some regex, it's useful as hell. Multithreading. C, C++ so you can appreciate and get a deeper understanding of just how much a scripting language does for you. A purely functional language would be cool too. Off the top of my head.
>>
>>17337858
Well.... Jesus. Do you think I can do all that until next summer if I devote at least 2-3 hours a day?
>>
>>17337877
Probably not but you can always learn and try to switch careers later.
>>
>>17337916
Well, I'll try. Any easy way to learn those things? I learned a lot about Python from modding old video games.
>>
>>17337877
fuck yes you can.

1. go to your local restaurant and tell them you'll fix the website for $1000.
2. you're now forced to learn wordpress
3. download a free theme and customize it (tutsplus, stack overflow and css-tricks are your friends)
4. deliver the website
5. rinse and repeat
>>
>>17337858
>>17338036
also, the other anon had some great tips but those are 5+ year goals unless you find programming so fun it'll become your main hobby
>>
Well, I am currently following some tutorials on JavaScript and MySQL.

The problem is that I don't have an overall goal. I don't know EXACTLY what I need to know to make sure I can get a job. People list a lot of things, but I'm sure not everyone working in the software business knows all of those.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.