[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm 24. What should I do when I run into people I used to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1466349847056.jpg (56 KB, 700x401) Image search: [Google]
1466349847056.jpg
56 KB, 700x401
I'm 24. What should I do when I run into people I used to go to high school with, or their parents, on the street?
I mean they all probably have a degree and a solid job by now (I know a bunch of them do). I've been depressed and suicidal for the last few years, I have no job and doing pretty bad in university. My life is kind of a wreck. And when I meet these people they ask me "hey how's life been" and all that crap. I tried to cut contact with everyone from high school after I finished it but I can still randomly run into them on the street.
>>
>>17337448
>I can still randomly run into them on the street.

Use the sidewalk instead of the street
>>
>>17337448
Do you feel the pressure to impress your ex-acquaintances?
>>
>>17337472
I don't know if I deep down want to impress them. I just don't like having to explain why my life isn't exactly good, or give them the chance to feel pity for me.
>>
>>17337492
But you don't. Just say you don't wanna talk about it.
>>
>>17337499
Well, saying "i dont wanna talk about it" definitely implies something's wrong, right? Either way you are right, I shouldn't mind being rude to people that I have no interest in having them in my life, or care about what they think.
>>
>>17337504
You can improve to the point where people won't pity you. But you must do it for yourself, not them.
>>
Respond with the same bs they give you

How's it going

Good, you?

Good. Been doing x,y with my hobbies, z with school/work
Just make that shit up
>>
I've being in similar situations though fortunately manged to avoid the issue, mostly.

I don't think it's about trying to impress anyone. I think it's more about casually expressing a negative situation to someone you're not comfortable doing so to.

In instances where I haven't being able to avoid this issue, I've found my self spinning the true to make it less of a anxiety to talk about.

I volunteer two days a week, usually, at an outdoor retreat for people with mental health issues. This I have a spun as: "I'm between jobs at the moment, but I'm volunteering at an outdoor project in the countryside"

If you don't have any truth to base your response on, fabricate something, ahead of time and practice saying it even if only in your head.
>>
Thanks for the advice!
>>
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.