[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
marijuana
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: carlsagan.jpg (118 KB, 467x258) Image search: [Google]
carlsagan.jpg
118 KB, 467x258
I'm very conflicted about marijuana. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

>late 20s
>started smoking in mid-teens off and on
>chronically by early 20s

It's been one of the best and worst things in my life. How do I reconcile such contradictory feelings, experiences, memories with a healthy outlook for my future?

For me, it was a gateway drug and I have terrible, terrible difficulty only smoking weed. I can stay completely sober for weeks but once I smoke again it initiates the cycle again. What happens is that I like to partake in marijuana in a certain mood, for certain purposes, and I do enjoy it then, but then I will hate the hazy after-effects and crave more of a stimulant or dissociative type of drug to "reset my brain" in a way. It's like day and night and I habitually alternate between the two, never satisfied with either by itself. The problem here is that all this combined takes a toll on my life, health, relationships, finances, etc. It can't go on anymore.

So... just stop smoking, right? Problem solved? Not so fast. I can live 100% sober but I just don't enjoy things anymore. I can sense my brain resetting its neurochemical balance back to normal, I make it past the psychological withdrawal phase and feel fine but something is missing... I almost feel like a stone statue without it, like all humor and joy of living vanishes and I simply cannot get into things, which inevitably brings me back to using it, which inevitably initiates the addiction to other substances, too.

I don't know what to do... I've been living this way for so long, it's so ingrained into my life. Anyone else relate? Anyone with experienced and insightful advice to offer? If you're inexperienced with these things I don't see what useful advice you could give, no offense, but I know this type of thread will attract many "psh, just quit you degenerate stoner!" responses from people who don't really understand the ins and outs of it.

Thanks.
>>
Bad news is that it's affecting you negatively. Good news is that your conscious of it. You say that life seems mundane without it? Life itself is filled with ups and downs yknow. Sober people get just as bored. Maybe you're not a zombie but rather you're doing casual shit that doesn't give you a rush. Go on an adventure with friends or alone and see how you feel. You can quit too. You do yourself no good by convincing yourself that you can't. I consume bud too. 4-5 times a week I vape marijuana but a bowl usually lasts me a week. I hit it once or twice a day.
>>
Stop smoking. Pot is not for everyone. I had to cut that shit out, you just gotta not smoke weed. Throw your stash out, dont 'just finish off what I've got left' cause that never works.

Just stop
>>
>>17328192
>responses from people who don't really understand the ins and outs of it.

I do. I wasted many years just smoking weed. I had the same problems as you.
Quitting was hard and I'd have times where I would try to smoke it casually (and not be stoned 24/7).

Nothing worked.
Quit the weed.
Force yourself into some hobbies. Get out into the world and do shit.

I still have urges to smoke weed and on very rare occasions I do. I end up regretting it and my brain feels like shit for a day or two.
>>
>>17328309
This.
Weed made you used to get fun when actually you are just bored.
If you get this and start actually doing stuff i dont think you really need to stop smoking for ever.
>>
>>17328453
>>17328475

not op but this is good advice folks. I've been a daily smoker for 4 years and always think about how much more money i'd have, more ambition to do other things, clean piss to get a better job, all sorts of ways it would improve my life if I quit smoking so much weed.

I can tell you from experience OP the "finish off what I have thing" from a previous post is completely correct. I've done it to myself a few times to not completely toss my stash, not smoke for a day or two and then have a tough day at work or what have you and just really crave that buzz from a joint. Toss all that shit my bruv, we can do this.
>>
>>17328498
Or sell it lol.
>>
Check out meetup.com, join a group for going, photography, music, sports, gaming, whatever. It's built to welcome strangers to a group and hobby.

And it's cool if you hop out of stuff. You gotta try a bunch of different things to find your favorites.

Like in Flagpole Sitta, "If you're bored, then you're boring"
>>
What other substances did you do? Just curious.

I can go weeks without it as well but it's as if I have to force myself from smoking.
>>
I smoked for 13 years every single day and all day. There were years where I was smoking an 8th a day but I always smoked more than a gram a day that entire time from 15 to 28.

I'm pretty sure I can relate to what you're feeling in terms of thinking your life revolves around it. I literally spent all day high because I always worked jobs I could smoke during. So every meal I ate I was stoned. Every night I went to bed I was stoned. Every time I played a game, watched a movie, did anything I was stoned. Weed is addictive. It's not physically addictive of course but it's totally got a psychological aspect to it.

So like I said I think I can relate. When I turned 27 I started to question my daily habit. I thought to myself smoking was holding me back career wise and relationship wise, and not just women but friends. So this went on for about a year. A constant nagging in my head as to what my life could be like. I wanted to quit. So I almost quit cold turkey. I bought a quarter and made it last 2 weeks. I had one bowl left one night and I was outside smoking it when the wind blew the bud everywhere. I was on the ground looking for that shit because it went in the grass and realized how pathetic I was at that point... I haven't smoked in over two years. The first couple of weeks were awful. I couldn't sleep and when I finally started to get sleep I had dreams for the first time in over a decade. I couldn't eat. Had to force myself to eat. I stopped playing video games. I still don't really play as much as I used to. Smoking made me complacent to doing stupid things and finding enjoyment from them. My route to quitting is different than yours will be but the point is I'm 2 years clean. I've changed my life drastically since then, for the better, and don't see myself ever smoking again. It was fun while it lasted.

Good luck.
>>
I was a big stoner for 2 years and after a bad experience I decided to quit, it was a really good decision, I didn't think that I'd actually go through with it. I developed pretty bad anxiety this past year and I'm pretty sure weed is to blame. Nowadays I smoke once in a blue moon if I'm drinking but I only have a puff or two.
>>
>>17328192
do you get physical withdrawals? if you do, do you get constant sweating? How do you deal with it?

For your answer, yeah, I can relate. I moved to Colorado so I could start smoking weed legally. I've smoked since I was 14 but for the majority of my life it's been infrequently - a few times a month depending on how much I partied/whatever.

Once I moved to CO that amount grew to levels that make most people's eyes bulge out when I tell them. I met a guy once who does 23 dime sized dabs a day.... he does more weed than me. That's about it.

For me, it's not a gateway drug... there was no gateway, I just went straight into drugs like diving into a pool. Weed has just always been my favorite - easy, quick, long lasting, very few long-term side effects (or so I thought for myself)... and god damn do I love being high.

I love everything about being high. I go to work at a very number intensive, demanding job (and still do lol) high as a kite every day, all day. I love performing complex logical tasks while high plus all the other cool shit about being high like music, enhanced creativity, etc. etc. I even fuck like an absolute BEAST when I'm high. I used to bring girls over, give them molly, only smoke weed myself.

I love weed. So yes, I can relate.

I still don't know how to answer your question. For myself, I ask myself - do I really want to be addicted to a shortcut the rest of my life? Life can be enjoyed the way I enjoy it when I'm high when I'm sober too, I just have to WORK harder to feel it.

So when you say life becomes dull and grey, I get it. But that's because you're still trying to see it through the weed/drug lenses that don't exist except when you're on that substance. That's foolish right? Life comes at us on its own terms, not through our drug lenses.

You have to reframe your thinking. You have to practice enjoying life. You have to change your perspective to be more truthful. I'm still practicing.
>>
>>17328540
>It's not physically addictive of course
Actually, it is for 50% of chronic users, 9% get acute withdrawal symptoms.

So I like you, I like your post.

Please stop continuing the lie that weed is not addictive. It most certainly can be to a great number of people.
>>
>>17328749
To be dependent on something is not the same as being addicted. Look up the differences.
>>
>>17328749
>>17328845

Not going into this debate as Im sure it's different for everyone.
The times I quit weed from smoking all day (for years), I had a lot of trouble sleeping for about a week.
I would wake up in pools of sweat.

Whatever was happening it was clearly some kind of withdrawal.
>>
>>17329043
Yea. Heavy usage of anything will have an effect on you once you stop. Be it sugar, caffeine, or weed. The withdrawals go away after the first week usually. I'm sure they suck but it's not the worst thing.
>>
>>17329248
No the dreams are bad. Im running for my life and im getting chased by men with knives
>>
>>17329268
Dude, what the fuck?
I'm in op's situation kinda, only 25
Please elaborate.
>>
Marijuana makes it easy to deal with whatever situation you're in, so if you're a lazy pos you'll definitely stay it unless you don't let the leaf run your life and u r in control.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.