[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Girl from Australia here. I picked German as a foreign language
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: BirdArt3.jpg (113 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
BirdArt3.jpg
113 KB, 1024x768
Girl from Australia here. I picked German as a foreign language tot study as I chat a lot with a guy I have met online and I thought it would hence be easier to learn German (I thought being able to speak another language fluently was cool and German is widely spoken). We met via a common interest in Game of Thrones. I later had the opportunity to fly to Germany and when the question of meeting irl arose he started acting in a strange manner (eg. clean Facebook, wanting to bring a brother to our meeting when I have never talker to him or see photos of him, never confirming our itnierary etc. I cancaled our meeting.

After traveling to Germany, I fell in love with German culture. Used to dislike it as all I knew about it was WW2.

Is it ok if I share this story with others as just an interesting wtf-tier story? Is it ok if I share it with acquaintances, my German teacher, the German coworkers at this German company where I am working part-time, etc? Will I be judged for it?
>>
>>17327168
We already had this some days ago.
>>
I don't see why it would be relevant to anything.
>>
>>17327174
What if someone asks why you can speak so much German though?
Anyway, can I just share this as some wtf story to kill time or small talk? I suck at small talk. Will I be judged for it?
>>
Judged for what? wanting to meet a men and it not turning out well?
or to be a german fan without being a nazi?
>>
>>17327244
Judged for being naive enough to want to meet a guy I have only talked to online in another country
>>
>>17327235
I don't think a lot of people will care. It's really not much of a story, but I guess there's no harm in mentioning it when you feel like it.
>>
>>17327268
Well I guess it is OK then
>>
>>17327268
Also, I hope that others can help me find language exchange means other than the web after I tell them this story. It can help justify why I am afraid of attending language exchange groups on that Meetup site and stuff. It can also explain why I am unsure of I can learn a lot of German in the future as I no longer have someone to practice it with
>>
>>17327168
you need to explain "acting weird" better because i dont know either of you from a bar of soap.
it just sounds like he has never met anyone from the internet before so he was just trying to be cautious.
remember germany has had to rebuild its countries reputation since WW2 because of one (idiotic) mans ideals.

germans act slightly differently to you average aussie bloke: they wont do something unless instructed to, like they are asking for your permission first. they usually address you with your former title mr, mrs, ms unless you know them well.

its not really a wtf story to a german. they will think this is normal.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.