[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you know what college/university major is right for you?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: memes.png (145 KB, 321x294) Image search: [Google]
memes.png
145 KB, 321x294
How do you know what college/university major is right for you? What's honestly more important, studying what you like or studying something that has more job opportunities? How do you know if a major is "your thing"?
Is it way more common to end up studying and working in an area you don't like?
And if you plan to change to a different major after spending years in one, should you in the meantime look for a job in the area of your current major (the one before you change)?
>>
>>17326331

>how do you know what college / university major is right for you?

there is no way to know for sure. many many many many many adults go to school, get a degree, than hate their job field. a big problem with college is that it doesn't give you any realistic job experience. at best you get internships cuz its required but you end up only getting coffees and little things so dont actually get to experience the job itself.

the best you can do is study a subject that interests you and is known for decent career paths. you dont have to be a doctor or a lawyer. most office jobs will accept pretty much any degree as long as the office job itself isn't supoer duper ridiculous.

I manage a small business but had an associates in film. most human resource managers didn't go to college for human resource managing. many accountants didnt go to school for accounting.

>what's honestly more important, studying what you like or studying something that has more job opportunities.

when you're paying 10 grand a semester to 'study something you like' you'd better hope it has good job opportunities cuz ur wasting 80 thousand fucking dolllars 'studying something you like'.
>>
>>17326360
That being said it would suck even more to drop 80 grand without taking the opportunity to study something that interests you.

University isn't all about the job.

Find a major, or second major, or minor, that you love, and that compliments your more practical "core" major. I studied Sociology and even some philosophy (comm/semantic theory, the arts), to compliment my Business Marketing and Statistics focus. Now I work at an advertising agency.
>>
>>17326331
I switched three times before the end of my sophomore year.

I ultimately just went with the subject that was easiest for me. I went from bio to neuro and realized I hated labs. So from then I looked st my best subjects and realized theyvwere all the physical science class (physics, chem, etc.) So I just said screw it and changed to math.

I honestly never looked back so I guess it was the right choice.

Give yourself some time to grow and find out what clicks with you and what doesn't.
>>
>>17326436

i was by no means suggesting you pick somethign that makes you miserable, but its more important to have job opportunities. balance exists, but the most important thing is job opportunities.

you can study something that is strictly for fun in your spare time for free.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.