[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Advice on my major
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: earth.jpg (258 KB, 1746x1763) Image search: [Google]
earth.jpg
258 KB, 1746x1763
I made a thread on /sci about this yesterday without having read their sticky about coming here for major advice.

Anywho, I'm going into Environmental Science without much background knowledge in math and science, though both of which I have had an easy time picking up at community college level classes, conceptual learning comes easy to me- its just that prior, in highschool (US educational system, mind you), I didnt care about grades much. I did just enough to get B's and couldnt care any less. I hardly learned shit.

I'm concerned that I'm going into a STEM field despite this. Will college be enough to get me where I need to be? I hope I'm not going to be overwhelmed.

Im 20 and I previously was a Psych major, my first few years at community college I took on average 8 credits a semester while I figured out what I wanted to do with myself. Psychology was a good idea at first.. but it doesnt seem to employ well unless you get a graduate degree.

Also, can anyone tell me how employable Ill be with a bachelors in environmental science? Any ideas? I figure good, as the job growth looks promising, but of course there are other variables at work that I may not be considering..
>>
>>17326235
I have no first hand experience but wish I had done this field. Fucking 6 figure jobs man, straight out of college!
>>
>>17326240
>6 figure jobs

Where do you get your information? From what I was aware most entry level jobs were only 5 figure
>>
double bump
>>
I would also like to know OP if that field is worth looking into because I'm interested in it (perhaps anthropology as well)
>>
>>17326235
Environmental Science is extremely competitive career-wise and has the some of the lowest salaries in STEM. You will likely start out making $12/hr after graduation and can expect to top out at $30-35/hr.
>>
>>17327600
(If you are lucky)

--samefag
>>
>>17326235
OP, can you rephrase your question to be more direct? What is your college cumulative GPA?

If you're concerned about your high school grades, don't be. The work you do in college is likely the only thing employers will look at.

As far as environmental science prospects, it's actually a very good paying field. I currently live in Hawaii and it's worth every penny of the investment you've made. You can learn more at the Bureau of Labor Statistics online.
>>
>>17327623
Not OP but I'm looking into this major. I'm 24, 3.4 cumulative GPA will be going to Huxely at WWU. Will I be able to get a middle-class environmental science job?
>>
>>17327692
You should be fine. Do your best to get your GPA to 3.5.
>>
>>17326235
i went into uni for 'sustainable agriculture and food systems' which is similar to environmental science but then i realized that half of the classes were just anthropology so i switched to biological systems engineering. it has been tough but completely manageable if you are determined and dedicated. highly recc
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.