[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does "Smart but lazy" mean?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
File: kERNTTm.png (179 KB, 1024x946) Image search: [Google]
kERNTTm.png
179 KB, 1024x946
I've heard this a lot in my life. I'm smart but lazy. I don't really know what that's supposed to mean. My gpa in high school was a 3.2 and my act score was a 30 so I don't think I was smart or anything. I just remember in high school I wouldn't do homework and then just study the day before an exam and then ace it.

I do have depression in the sense that I just have very low motivation to do anything unless I have to do it. It's a pretty cancerous feeling and I want to kick it. I can tell that I plateau a lot in terms of my abilities in things such as music/games/school.

Any thoughts?
>>
Means you have good potential, yet squander your skills on doing nothing.

You have everything but the motivation to actually make use of it.
>>
>>17324363
You have to apply what you learn. You Have to do physical things to physically change the world. Even typing and talking is physically doing something. You can't just be all input, you have to have output. Show don't tell.
>>
>>17324363
Smart but lazy is a Boomer meme. It's the "A for effort" for gifted shits.
>>
>>17324363
the term should be just depressed or emotionally damaged. These people are just normal people who are emotionally fucked up so they hide their reality in video games or online feel good factories.
>>
If only you would apply yourself, Anon!
>>
It's a /r9k/ meme. People who are not very smart or skilled trying to make excuses as to why they are such failures.
>>
>>17324363
>I'm smart but lazy.
You have potential to excel in some fields but you're unwilling to focus consistently and grind through the work to achieve great results.
>>
It means you have a high tested iq but were raised incorrectly or had bad influences. It does happen to some, but not many. This is because the races generally having high iqs, also happen to have the best parents (ie asians)
>>
Have you ever seen Good Will Hunting? You're like Matt Damon's character but not as important to the world.
>>
A score of 30 on the ACT is pretty high no?

I had a 31 and was in the 97th percentile.
>>
I love how half the replies are gifted and/or borderline genuises with fucked up childhoods giving themselves a migraine trying not to point out that they themselves are "smart but lazy", and the other half is doing their damnest to make it seem like it doesn't exist at all because if they're not important, then NOBODY GETS TO BE IMPORTANT GOD DAMN IT
>>
>>17325357
The Yin Yang is just as bad as a trip. Nobody cares who you are, stop trying to make yourself famous on one of the least used boards on 4chan.
>>
>>17325360
Report them. He is avatarfagging which is against the rules. He will get banned.
>>
>>17325384
I like to take care of things on my own. They learn something that way.
>>
Ok let me tell you some truth. Smart but lazy means that, in your childhood, you were constantly being told you were a smart kid. You were smarter than the other countless of dumb kids in your school. This meant that you didn't have to try to get decent grades. This kind of attitude then continues on in life, until you become a young adult. Because you spent all your childhood and teens not trying and still passing quite easily, you never learned discipline.

Now you are in College, and suddenly, you're no longer the smart kid. This is where all the 'smart kids' gather, and the level of education is adjusted to that. Now imagine this: You are a guy/girl of above average intelligence with zero discipline, and you are presented with educational material that actually challenges you for once. What do you do? You do all that you've learned, which is to slack off and do it at the last moment. But in college, this attitude is NOT enough. You will fall behind on your grades. You will not have the discipline like most of the other kids do to challenge yourself. Because all your life things were easy, you don't know how to tackle things that are hard.

Being "smart but lazy" is the result of bad parenting and bad education. A life of no challenge, no discipline, until you turn into an adult. Suddenly, you have to challenge yourself to get ahead. But the discipline is not there. Who can blame you? You never learned what it's like to study a week for some test.

Smart but lazy is what a lot of losers are.
>>
>>17325360
>>17325384
I don't care if you know me or not, people skip over post without images and I'm not saving dozens of images on my phone to avoid "avatar fasgging".
>>
>>17325403
>I'm a special snowflake and rules don't apply to me
>>
>>17325403
So you basically admit it's for attention-whoring.
>>
>>17325403
Is that why you're literally copy-pasting that exact sentence over and over again everywhere?

Fucking dumbass.
>>
File: 1458724880671.webm (2 MB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1458724880671.webm
2 MB, 640x640
>>17325399
Great, how do I fix it? Like actually fixing it and not deluding myself over some self-improvement inner speech. "Just force yourself to do stuff" is not working, something is missing.
>>
>>17325399
>Now you are in College, and suddenly, you're no longer the smart kid

But I still was the smart kid at uni.... didn't have to try for shit.

Then also followed on to become the smart guy at work too.

How does that fit into your stupid theory, stupid?
>>
>>17325478
I repeat OP, have you seen Good Will Hunting?

And please actually say yes or no, because we're gonna have a conversation that it seems nobody ever had with you.
>>
>>17325478
Alright fuck it, we're doing this whether you want it or not.

I had my geography teacher in high school, Matt Damon had Robin Williams. But you never actually had anyone to tell you that geniuses exist, and they're not all immediately scientists. Some, like myself (or Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting, seriously it's the perfect movie for this), had such remarkably fucked up childhoods that we never really WANTED to use our gifts for anything other than our own brief and pointless pleasure. Like a parlor trick. Our brains are basically supercomputers, and we decide to rub our feet on the carpet and then fuck around with the motherboard. We fall into drugs, violence, etc. unless someone finds us and teaches us why we're too important to waste ourselves on trivial bullshit. Personally, it saved my life. My point being, a) I'm a narcissist who doesn't get to tell their story often enough, sorry about that, and b) this is more important than you. You're good at something, I don't know what it is but you're fucking good at it. Mozart had the piano, I have the pen, Matt Damon had mathematical equations. You have something. Figure out what it is, and use it. Do something useful with your life, change the world. Because you don't have the luxury of saying "someone else will do it". Very few people are born every year around the world that have the potential to be geniuses, and fewer still ever reach it. But it's never too late, you just have to start giving a shit.

Grow up, realize that you got incredibly lucky in the genetic lottery, and cash in your fucking check.
>>
>>17325484
>Good Will Hunting
I haven't. I take it you recommend doing so. Does the movie give good pointers where the character improves his life direction? Gonna see it after Im done with some work.
>>
>>17325501
Just watch it, if you're as smart as you say you are then...well, you'll see.

I think I might watch it again too, it's actually a really good movie aside from all of this.
>>
>>17325478
You don't fit in my theory of average "smart but lazy" personality. Don't think everything so seriously, prick.
>>
>>17325509
That was almost a coherent sentence. Keep trying, we all believe in you!
>>
>>17324363
Ironic that you don't understand what "Smart but lazy" means. You must be stupid.
>>
>>17325466
>Just force yourself to do stuff
It basically boils down to that though... Discipline is only learned through practise of discipline. I know, it sucks. People like us are used to instant gratification for whatever we do. If we fail, we give up too easily.

One thing you could try is mediation. Look it up, and not the mumbo jumbo stuff. It's been scientifically proven to increase discipline.
>>
>>17325499

Eh, sounds like effort.
>>
>>17325399
holy hell you just explained my entire existence. That happen to me, told i was very gifted and smart. specially in math, and after my second year oh high school i stopped trying. My idiotic thinking was " ill learn it later" come UNI and i struggle so fucking hard to actually apply myself, sit down for 10 hours and study. My first two years of college were me still being immature and irresponsible, now I'm playing for it, I'm behind on my program with 2 or more years to go and i see no end to this shit, even know that im applying myself i still feel i haven't learn anything.
Cant blame my parents though, they didn't know any better.
>>
>>17325532
Yup.
>>
>>17324960
>>17325328
>>17325343
>>17325484
>>17325399
>>17325499

Op here,

a lot of you basically hit the nail on the head in terms of my up bringing. Got bullied a lot in school, didn't really care about school because of it, and would come home to get bullied by parents, so I just played vidya all day in order to cope. I've since gotten some of my shit together, since I'm a 4th year in uni right now. I just feel like I don't have any drive or motivation.

Yeah, I might have hit the genetic lottery, my dad's side of the family are all extremely intelligent people (doctors and engineers). Yeah, I was better than the average kid in math and music. Yeah, I was placed in higher level math classes. Do I think I'm gifted? Fuck no, I went to one of those high schools where it was assumed everyone was going to college. I have many friends, who I know are actual geniuses and I do not compare to them.

The point is I don't think I'm special and I think that it's a cancerous thing that was told to me in life. I did get motivation eventually in high school to start doing school and it was when my history teacher and math teacher both pulled me aside and told me that they wanted me to actually start doing work because they saw "potential". I don't think I have potential, and I don't want to think that I have potential. I want to be able to just have the motivation or drive of a normal person to do things.
>>
>>17326812

cont.

in terms of uni, I'm doing decent. 3.3 gpa as a CS major. I just still don't have that level of motivation that I wish I could have. Whenever I get a B in a class, I always think, man if I just put a little more time, I could have gotten an A easily.
>>
>>17325328
I'm Russian-American, but I can level with the bad influences part. I don't have a relation with them since college. Fuck them.
>>
>>17326817
I'm gonna let you in on a secret most people don't figure out until long after they've finished their post-secondary education: school doesn't fucking matter. It's made to slowly but surely indoctrinate young minds into the society that those sociopaths who don't give a fuck about you but want your money built. Early education: school is fun, you get to play with blocks and make sand castles and shit. Elementary school: a little less restrictive that kindergarten, which is a fucking blessing considering you were there for 2 straight years, every single day, and you had literally no freedom whatsoever. And they slowly give you more and more freedom, while also upping the punishment for leaving, until you're doing it all of your own free will even though you fucking hate every second of it. You're told that you need all of this to survive, and that you'll be completely fucked if you don't pay absurd amounts of money for "new" textbooks (that are LITERALLY just the exact same issue as last year but with new cover art and some of the pages mixed around, that's a proven fact look it up), and classes that you know after a week aren't going to teach you anything you really need to know but you need to learn it anyway because otherwise you're going to be fucking homeless.

School is the largest scale phishing scam in the history of humanity. Do what makes you happy, life's too short to be a fucking pawn in a game you can't control.
>>
>>17328062
For the record I'm this
>>17325499
guy.
>>
>>17324363

your parents love you
>>
>>17324363
Let's all love Lain.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.