[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey adv. I enlisted in the army and my ship date to basic training
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1
File: 1466268187165.jpg (463 KB, 853x1280) Image search: [Google]
1466268187165.jpg
463 KB, 853x1280
Hey adv. I enlisted in the army and my ship date to basic training is tomorrow. My recruiter told me yesterday I should bring a credit or a debit card to basic training. I don't have one and it is too late to get one now as I am leaving tomorrow. What would I need one for and will I be able to go through bct without one?
>>
>>17323903
If you have a bank account, you should have a debit card. At least, that's how it works where I live
>>
>>17323907
I have a checking account and I don't have a debit card, also that doesn't really answer my question
>>
>>17323903
>>17323903
sort of depends on what time you are leaving tomorrow if you could even set one up... but then the physical card wouldnt arrive in time for basic.
>>
>>17323915
I am already aware of this, I am asking what I would need a card for at basic, and if I can go through it without one
>>
>>17323920
How do you expect to get money if you need it? Pop down to the bank and withdraw some?
>>
>>17323914
Well then why don't you ask your bank, dumbass.
>>
Did the same thing when I joined they provide it at 30th AG. That was 2 years ago but I'm sure not much has changed. Airborne!
>>
>>17323920
I think the concern is you bring cash money and it end up missing. It used to be in basic you write down the serial number of each bill you have and store it.

You basically need money for personal hygiene, haircuts, and basic stuff. You'll spend roughly 200 dollars to get through basic, probably more by now. The PX is "cheap" but it's not so cheap when you're broke as hell.

You'll get issued a card so don't worry. Just go to basic and as always watch out for the cornhole.
>>
Enjoy fighting for oil to make the elite richer.
You're literally a slave.

How does that make you feel, OP?
>>
>>17323953
I already said this, but you clearly didn't read my question.
>>
>>17323966
Thank you, this was helpful
>>
>>17323990
Did your recruiter not check with you to see if you had it?

Also good luck. I ship in January :^)
>>
>>17323995
He told me this on my 72 hour ship brief, if he told me with a little more notice I would have gotten a debit card.
>>
>>17323978
feels good man
>>
>>17324004
The liason shouldve told you the day you swore in. Its in your contract.
>>
>>17324016
I dont recall being told to bring a debit card, but I enlisted delayed entry so I swore in and signed my contract a year ago. If i was told I must have forgotten
>>
Go to the bank tomorrow morning as soon as they open. Open a checking account and connect it to your savings account. They will give you a temp debit card until the real one arrives in the mail. Have a trust worthy friend or family member mail you the real one when it arrives to your home address.
>>
>>17324025
Have you told your recruiter? Just tell him. Do you go to the hotel tonight and meps tomorrow?
>>
>>17324030
This is really helpful thank you, if they can give me a temporary debit card why do I need a family member to mail me the physical one?
>>
>>17324034
He basically said tuff luck
>>
>>17324039
typical recruiter bs.
>>
>>17324045
Yeah my initial recruiter left recruiting a few months ago. He was actually a really helpful and nice guy but then I got stuck with some asshole
>>
what mos are you going for OP?
>>
>>17324064
I hope that doesn't happen to me but my recruiter is getting promoted soon :/
>>
>>17324066
14 E
>>
>>17324078
Mine was promoted to sergeant first class then was reassigned to a new station.
>>
>>17324086
not gonna lie. that seems like a shitty job
>>
>>17324117
Why do you say that?
>>
>>17324130
cause the skills don't seem to transfer into the real world. plus i just hate doing mechanical shit. what did you get on the asvab?
>>
>>17324036
You'll eventually need the real one because it actually has your name on it. The temp one will only have CUSTOMER'S NAME where your name would be. There are a few other things about why and when you need to activate it which they will tell you. Explain your situation and see what the best course of action is for the friend or family member or if they can send it directly to you at camp.

They'll mail you a new one with your name, and you'll have to activate it before you can use it which can be done over the phone. For me, if my memory recalls correctly, I had 48 hours to activate it once I received my real card so your friend/family member might have to do it for you before sending it off. Ask the banker what info they'll need to do so for you if that's the case.
>>
>>17324161
Thanks!
>>
>>17324152
I got an 87, and the skills transfer well into the real world. Look at companies like Raytheon or other PSC's, they hire people with that type of experience all the time. I signed on to that job for the exact reason I wanted into that field. And It's not all mechanical, it's also computer science. And I like both
>>
>>17324168
i guess its just a personal thing then
>>
>>17323978
>oil
>in the middle east

Keep drinking the kool aid man
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.