[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I find what to do with my life?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: 1467578641779.jpg (25 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1467578641779.jpg
25 KB, 480x480
I never knew what did I want to be when I grew up. Now I am 23 and finishing a Law degree that I dislike very much. I chose law for doing something else with my life. But now I am fearing that I will end being bitter.

I just want to know how people find out what do they want to become. What is their source of inspiration, what do they like. When I was a child I had those interests, I wanted to work as a paleontologist, and growind up I always had an interest in Sciences. But somewhere during the ages of 16-17 that died, and I found myself without any inspiration of making myself a future.

If Im going to end as a bitter worker, at least I want to know what could have I been if I knew during my highschool years what should I had studied.

Any help?
>>
Bump?
>>
You answered your own question, op.
>>
>>17323156

What? How?
>>
>>17322534
Bump

I am now looking at copywriting or web-design
>>
>>17323193
>I never knew what did I want to be when I grew up.
>When I was a child I had those interests, I wanted to work as a paleontologist, and growind up I always had an interest in Sciences.

>I just want to know how people find out what do they want to become. What is their source of inspiration, what do they like.
>When I was a child I had those interests, I wanted to work as a paleontologist, and growind up I always had an interest in Sciences.

>If Im going to end as a bitter worker, at least I want to know what could have I been if I knew during my highschool years what should I had studied.
>>
>>17323206

And I told you that banished a long time ago. During the 16-17 years I found myself thinking if should I study an Engineering, or Criminal Sciences. I stopped being sure about what I wanted to do, and to this day I am still unsure.
>>
File: Peaky-Blinders-4.jpg (164 KB, 1841x1227) Image search: [Google]
Peaky-Blinders-4.jpg
164 KB, 1841x1227
You will know. It will hit you to the core of your soul. I believe we are put here on this earth to change it for the better good of everyone.
>>
>>17323227

Well, it could have hit me before, dont you think?
>>
>>17323220
Law is related to Criminal sciences. So maybe u can easily switch and your law background may help you.

What are you interested in now?
>>
>>17323243

Nothing serious.

I wouldnt switch to Criminal Sciences, that was just a stupid thing I thought at my 17.
>>
>>17322534
Same boat. Pretty much you're fucked. I also assume you may have a mental disorder or the possibility for 1?

Regardless, enjoy the little shit that comes by from new vidya, quick swim in the pool, hikes, parties, or whatever, but stop believing you will accomplish anything. It eats away at you and makes you want to kill yourself on a regular basis. Unless you wanted to go through with that.
>>
>>17323252
I always wanted to be an author in higshcool and never thought about anything else. Once I got the college, I flunked my first semester and now I'm at a community college taking an associates degree in general studies. I lost passion and found out creative writing is a stupid ass major. So I'm in the same boat. Im 22
>>
>>17323260

Its possible I may have one. I've been told since I was a little child that Im weird. It gets worrying because currently I hang out with weeaboos and nerds and they too think that Im weird. Cant tell if I have a mental disorder or I was just raised fucking wrong.

This shit is going to eat me forever. I had so much potential when I was young. Its not just that I want to achieve someting meaningful, Its that I will never live to achieve my full potential.

I cant enjoy vidya anymore (I played a lot of vidya when I was young, I blame them for distracting me on these important matters, cant tell if this is the rational thing). As for other hobbies, I enjoy relaxing at nature, but knowing that sooner or later I will return to my boring place at civilization just kills my amusement.
>>
Bump?
>>
>>17323363
You still here, anon?

Regardless...

We all wanted to be successful in life. It's a basic human desire. However, most of us will never achieve the true level of happiness we desire. I personally believe that past the age of 18 if things aren't looking up for you, you're have until 25 to flip your shit around. If at 25 you haven't done so, either you must admit this will be your life until you die, or kill yourself. I am heavily siding with the latter. God give me the strength to do it sooner.

Accept your fate, change your life, or start thinking up rough drafts for suicide notes. I've chosen mine. What's yours?
>>
>>17324645
I understand your way of thinking but I have met people whose lives changed very late. So you should keep hope.
>>
>>17324718
Rare exceptions. As a wise man once said (with my own alterations), "Life is like a movie: If you sat through a quarter of it and it sucks, there's no reason to believe it's gonna get better in the end and make it all worth while."

I got 4 years left, anon. I appreciate the kind words, but I am a burden to others and the world would forget about me in less than a month if I were to die. My life has no meaning and you'd be a lyin faggot if you'd try to suggest it's anything but luck based
>>
>>17324645
> If at 25 you haven't done so, either you must admit this will be your life until you die, or kill yourself.

Don't give advice again.
>>
Same here except I haven't been to Uni or college. I found out what I want to go to school for by life giving me signs. What's your personality? What do you like? Does it revolve around you? Is it something you see yourself doing? Is it something you can achieve? Ask yourself all these questions and you will get an answer.
>>
>>17324743
But you know it's true. Most people at 25 have formed an identity for themselves. Whether it be the married person, the guy in charge of a company, someone who recently graduated med school, and so on. If you are at 25 and you don't know what you wanna do with your life, especially if you haven't had a gf at this point, you're fucked. You'll wind up being that weird old dude who engages in long-ass conversations because he has nobody in his life. I wold rather be dead than be that person, but that's just me
>>
>>17324770
> I wold rather be dead than be that person, but that's just me

That's because you are an insecure little faggot who cares too much about what others think. Some people don't live their lives to impress others, they just simply live, to experience our limited time on this planet.

If you want to kill yourself at 25 because you haven't had a gf yet then be my guest, I'm just saying it's a lame fucking reason. Growth doesn't stop at a magical number. I bet you're one of those people that thinks everyone turns into a responsible adult at 18.
>>
>>17324787
Many reasons beyond not having a gf. If you ain't on a good path by 25, then you're fucked. I'm gonna assume shits' going good for you. I'm going to assume you are living a happy life. I',m also going to assume that if you aren't, you hoping for shit to turn around for you any day now and you reinforce that by telling other life is worth living when you have no idea if things will turn out good or bad.

Indeed, growth does not stop at a certain age, but if we're real with ourselves here, most people stp mental development around 18-21 and advance as far as they can by 25-30.Of course some escape that, they are the exceptions who have lived a life differently to that of your average Joe
>>
File: e2a.jpg (16 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
e2a.jpg
16 KB, 720x405
>>17324813
Life isn't complicated. You wake up, you shit, you shower, you eat, you do whatever you do and you go back to sleep again. Everything else is bullshit orchestrated by society in order to make you feel guilty for not following the status quo. Being content doesn't go hand in hand with this society, you always gotta chase shit that doesn't really matter because that's what turns the cogs of the machine.

Anyone who thinks life isn't worth living because of some basic bitch bullshit like you said should fuck off and look at the bigger picture. You are a conscious being on a rock that's floating through space among trillions and trillions of other planets, why the fuck would you worry about girlfriends and jobs and whatever the fuck it is that you are worrying about when it literally doesn't matter?
>>
>>17324849
I am content with my life. I don't follow most of what society says. Yet I and many others in my situation want to kill themselves almost every day.

There are many /adv/ threads of people who'd lives seem to be amazing yet they still wanna die. All relating to what I said about how if you don't feel you are with purpose at 25 you either accept this or kill yourself.

>Blah blah blah. A conscience thing on a rock

This is true, thus making life even more worthless and should you kill yourself, nothing fucking changes because of it
>>
>>17324874
>Yet I and many others in my situation want to kill themselves almost every day.
Probably because of more bullshit reasons. Probably because life isn't like the Disney movie they grew up with.

>This is true, thus making life even more worthless and should you kill yourself, nothing fucking changes because of it

Exactly, so there is no pressure on you. Now you can simply try to enjoy life instead of being a whiny little babby about it.

I'm going to bed now, I hope you'll find peace in your life as I have.
>>
>>17324895
>Probably because of more bullshit reasons. Probably because life isn't like the Disney movie they grew up with.
Literally an edgelord all grown up. Literally admits life suck and if you reach the point of Enlightenment to where you realize life isn't worth living, there's nothing left

>lol u just need to b urself xDXDXDX!!1! No i won't tell you how I did it or how it could work for you! XDXDXD!
Proceeds to give no advice and scurries off. I h8 shitposters as much as the next person, but Goddamn, at least post a frog instead of filling people with false hope you cunt
>>
>>17324909
This
>>
There's a lot you can do with a law degree, surprisingly. Look for stuff that's outside the box. You could work as a consultant for an environmental group, which is like activism and may give you a sense of purpose.
>>
OP, reality is subjective. Because it's subjective, you can view the world in whichever way you want, if you choose to do so. I suggest you make a conscious choice to see things in a positive light. It relieves suffering and opens doors for you; opportunities you may never have seen. I've been able to do extraordinary things since learning to manipulate my consciousness. I've found an amazing rental house, been hired for positions that- to any rational person- would seem far out of my reach. Simply because I tell myself that I can do anything. I've learned to be happy the majority of the time by
i. becoming more aware of my thoughts and feelings
ii. recognizing the logical fallacies and flawed beliefs that lead to depression "im no good" "noone will ever love me" "i cant do it"
iii. replacing those thoughts and beliefs little by little with positive thoughts that negate the negative thought
"i'm a great person" "people do love me" "i can do it"
And by doing this, just changing my thoughts, I've created a reality that is amazing, and a bright future too.

Read Feeling Good by Dr. David Burns, and try vipassana or 'noticing' style meditations
>>
>>17324909
>Literally admits life suck

Where did I say that?
Life sucking is subjective. Life is what you make of it. If you take this experience too seriously then you're gonna have a bad time.

>No i won't tell you how I did it or how it could work for you! XDXDXD!

I told you how I did it, I looked at the bigger picture. I stopped giving a shit about what society/other people expected of me, and I could do that because looking at the bigger picture made me realize the futility of it all.

''Oh no I won't have a good jurb and a good waif when I'm 25''

The universe doesn't give a fuck about that.
>>
>>17324909
You're right bud. completely agree with all of your posts. Not OP but simmiliar problems. You gave great advice and helped for sure.
Some people just won't let others help them or give advice, if that's the case then just fuck off of /Adv/ and go post on /b/ or some crap
>>
>>17326480
>>17326442
Wanted to reply to your post.
Fuck phone posting. Mis-tapped
>>
>>17326442
The vast majority of people don't take life too seriously, then they end up complaining about how they didn't apply themselves or how they missed good opportunities and so on. Literally life is a bunch of random bullshit to where your happiness and love of life is mostly luck based from the parents you were born to, the genes in your family, the environment and moral you grew up in and so on.

>I told you how I did it, I looked at the bigger picture. I stopped giving a shit about what society/other people expected of me, and I could do that because looking at the bigger picture made me realize the futility of it all.

Cool. So did I. I hardly give a shit outside of my basic job, yet here I am with a good family, good friends, and yet I still have no problem admitting I'm a fucking loser.

I'm not talking about one's success in money or relationships or shit liek that (though those can be a good sign). I'm talking about how 1 views him/herself at 25+. If you're cool with making $8 an hour at 27 years old, great. If not, damn that sucks. But all of that is entirely luck based from what I said before. Sure you can try to change the way your brain was wired, and if you can, awesome. But it is an incredibly hard thing to do naturally without turning to drugs.

So as I said before, if your life isn't going how you want it at 25, either accept it will never change, do something about it, or kill yourself
>>
OP here. Its nice to see people discussing how to find one's purpose

>>17324758

>Personality

Used to be pretty autistic. Like, full INTJ. Now Im trying to be more "humane" and understanding values, moral codes, and such. Trying to become more extrovert would be a summary

>Likes

Oh boi. A lot of things. Reading science, history, literature, philosophy, listening to music, watching art, walking in nature, swimming at the sea, fencing, repairing things, solving puzzles, reading comic books and manga, watching anime, (formerly) playing videogames... I like so many things, sometimes I think the only way to become a midly happy person would be to become a polymath.

>Does it revolve around you?

Everything I've listed is for me, but I too work as staff of a Convention, so that counts as a hobby that doesnt revolve around me, I suppose. Working with other people is very fun, you get to connect with these people with comfortable bonds. Worth the experience, I would say.

>Something you see yourself doing and achieving?

I know I can achieve anything if I put the effort. Anything. Problem is, I dont know how to put effort, and my Law degree doesnt give me enough time to develop myself.

>>17326252

Well, since a few months ago I became interested in Hinduism and that stuff, so why not.
>>
File: Mr8fcg9.jpg (99 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
Mr8fcg9.jpg
99 KB, 800x450
>>17326639
>>
>>17322534
>I just want to know how people find out what do they want to become.

Most dont. Most have dreams that get crushed by the weight or reality and try to find escape through, drinking, sports and annual holidays.
>>
>>17326639
best bet is for you to smoke a shitload of weed. an intj buddy of mine recently rediscovered his love for creativity. he's started working on a book and making music.
>>
>>17327089

Might try lots of weed with meditation and mantra recitation, to see what happens.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.