[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am from Sinagpore and I will soon move to Canada to study abroad.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
I am from Sinagpore and I will soon move to Canada to study abroad. I am worried about not fitting in and ending up as one of those people who feel really homesick. I guess this should be an eye-opening experience for me, but I don't know if I will end up like those Chinese immigrants who only mingle with other Asian people and do not really have local friends.
How to fit in? Will partying and drinking help me fit into Western culture? I don't want to be one of those Chinese people who does not fit in into the local culture.
>>
I'm assuming this move is for university? Pick up social hobbies, join clubs or societies where you get to meet locals. Drinking and partying might help, but they're not the best way to meet people. Make friends sober through hobbies or study groups or something and then go drinking with those friends you make as a bondign activity. There are usually introduction events/activities for international students in the beginning, so attend those. Talk to people, whether they are Canadian or other international students and try to get to know them. Maybe you'll click with someone or meet them again at some other events, so you can start to build a social circle.
>>
>>17322343
I see. Where are you from? Are Chinese people in your area cliquey?
>>
>Chinese girl
Join some anime club and I guarantee you'll be hot shit. Don't be surprised when your first boyfriend wants you to wear a schoolgirl uniform and call him "onii-chan"
>>
>>17322361
Fellow Singaporean here.
What uni are you going to? If it's one of the bigger ones there should be a Singapore Society that you can join; they'll help you out. I think UoT has one, but I can't be sure.
>>
>>17322450
I will not state my uni here.
But yeah, I don't want to be one of those Singaporeans with only Chinese friends or something
>>
Bump again
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.