[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I have been trying to drop or at least, somewhat tune down
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1462577164886.png (620 KB, 574x540) Image search: [Google]
1462577164886.png
620 KB, 574x540
So I have been trying to drop or at least, somewhat tune down my gaming addiction, I have tried other hobbies, I tried learning guitar which I have been doing for 2 years now, and it got boring and stale

I have this anxiety when I do other things than playing video games, I just want to go home after work and play games all day, but on other hand if I skip my guitar practice sessions, I feel guilty, and ashamed of myself, because I set high expectations for myself.

I have this irrational fear, if for example I go and try join a band, I won't have any time to play video games anymore, and I feel like I will be always missing out on something.

How do I deal with these feelings?
>>
>>17321840
Video games are a massive waste of time. You gain absolutely nothing from playing them, other than a good feeling. With playing guitar you're actually learning something useful. If you like video games, you could always try and learn how to make them. Though if guitar playing feels like a chore, then maybe you should be doing something that you enjoy doing and actually have interest in.
>>
>>17321840
Video games can be a potentially addictive form of instance gratification the same way drugs, gambling, etc. can be. Treat it as you would any other addiction, so that means things like restricting access, substituting with similar but more healthy activities, avoiding triggers/temptation, potentially seeking help from family, friends or a professional.
>>
>>17321955

I fail to see how learning to play the guitar is a particularly better use of your time than playing video games.

Mastering and learning how to play other people's song on guitar is so like a video game that it is actually a video game. And what do you get in the end? The ability to play a few songs on guitar.

Shit, what a great use of your time.
>>
>>17321840

Are you actually addicted to video games? Playing them in your free time because you enjoy them seems like a complete non-issue to me.

Are your relationships suffering because of them? Are you wasting all of your money or doing worse at work? Is there anything you are failing to do because of video games?

I would have thought there was a bigger problem that was causing you frustration. What is actually missing from your life? I'd figure that out first.

When it comes to reducing game time, I'd maybe consider just restricting yourself to a console and then selling games that are very time consuming with no real point (mobile games and RPGs).
>>
>>17321995
>>17321995
Keep trying to rationalize your video game addiction.

Imagine if the best guitar players out there thought the same thing, where would they be now?

Even if you're not that good it's impressive in social situations and girls dig it. Plus you're actually creating something that can be enjoyed by others (not the song itself, but music)
>>
>>17321998
Op here

I don't have any relationships, not wasting money, I occasionally buy games when they are on sale, failing? Well my guitar practice kinda going hay-wire
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.