[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Schools
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
I was one here yesterday and a few of you replied, I could not post anymore because it was archived... Let me explain further,
I currently attend a school that is an 5 out of 10, rated by most school websites. The mayor even said that the school system was one of the worst. I, for my class excel, and Im on my way to taking advanced courses. I'm pretty shown off in the school.
This other school, its beautiful, looks like a college campus. The school sites rate it 8 out 10, and like I said before, they send students to Ivy League schools. They accepted me a while back, and Im going for a bridge week. Their #25 in my state, while the other is #385. I know once I go there, I'll barely be recognized for academic achievement, and they are NOT giving me the courses they're offering in my current school. I mean, this school's SAT score is 1720, theyre proficient in math and ELA, I just dont know.
Does that matter?
Do I stay in my current school?
Here are further statistics:
Current High School:
SAT score: 1380
Proficiency in math: 48%
Proficiency in ELA: 69%

I don't know what to do.
>>
>>17319917
Continue shining where you are. Admissions in college will take a lot into account, especially your area, the shittiness of it and your ability to overcome all of those obstacles.

High schools don't really matter, it's what you do with your time that matters. Extracurricular, volunteering, internships, etc. It's not always about shining where everyone is shining, sometimes it's better to shine where nobody is.
>>
So I'm a high school teacher in a really terrible school district in a rural part of California. While we do have some success stories, (One of our students was accepted to Stanford after getting a perfect score on the math portion of the SAT), most of our best students are destined for middle of the road state colleges.

I think you should go to the other school. Colleges do look at your schools API (academic performance index) when making admissions decisions, and if you're looking at in state admissions, they'll likely know your district/school by reputation alone. That's not to say that you can't succeed, but going to a better school increases your chances.

I think you will also benefit from being around better students, they will challenge you in ways that you may not be challenged at the current moment. Typically better schools have better extracurricular activities, more motivated students, and better/more educated staff. One of the reasons under performing schools and districts remain as under performing is that the best teachers leave after 3-5 years to find better opportunities and the worst teachers remain ingrained because they can get away with bad practices. I know you said they didn't have some of the classes that you wanted- what kind of programs are we talking about? AP? IB? Particular classes? That may be something to consider if it is really important to you.

You will no longer be the golden child, that's true. But from your tone it seems that you aren't satisfied being the king of the garbage dump. You will actually challenge yourself when you are put up against motivated students who want to succeed.
>>
There's this program in my school that started a few years back, in 8th grade I got tested for honors Algebra I, and then I'll continue with Algebra II, Geometry and Im clear that my teacher told me I'd take AP Calculus by the time I'm in 11th. If I attend the other school, I'll start over again, they're giving me regular algebra I, but the secretary told me further on I'd take IB classes. (It is a magnet school).
>>
>>17320800
so that's all you're worried about? I'd say go for it then, IB is a really great program, better than AP by far. Yes you'll need to start over and take algebra I again, but you'll ace it and move on.
>>
I forgot to tell you that all my classes are honors (next year at the prep) I do not know about the process that Honors Global Studies or Honors English I goes through, and the secretary told me to calm down, that they cannot print out or schedule classes as of yet, at least, not until bridge week on August 22nd..
>>
>>17319917
>I, for my class excel, and Im on my way to taking advanced courses. I'm pretty shown off in the school.
>Their #25 in my state
It's easy to excel when everyone else is borderline retarded. Doesn't mean you're actually smart.
>>
You have a point, but I would be the one getting the scholarships, recommendations and awards if all the others are stupid as shit, right?
>>
File: 1436672441393.jpg (31 KB, 228x243) Image search: [Google]
1436672441393.jpg
31 KB, 228x243
>>17320893

Not really, a glowing recommendation from a shitty school isn't really that amazing. You get to be smarter and more capable by being challenged by those around you. Why can't you excel at the same level at a better school? I'l let you in on a secret, valedictorians are rarely the most intelligent members of their class, they just work the hardest. Anyone can do well in the low stakes game that is high school by putting forward maximum effort. The thing is, when you are in a better environment you look better as a result. I mean you could get put into special education and be the smartest guy there, but is that what you really want?
>>
Shit, you're really opening my eyes here. What grade do you teach, if I may ask?
>>
>>17320931
I teach 11th/12th grade physics
>>
Does NHS even matter? I heard it's just $5 so you waste your time on community service and get a sash at graduation. How are colleges impressed by this?
>>
>>17320969
it's really hard to say, it depends on what the school chooses to do with it, how good the NHS coordinator is. I myself am not involved in nhs at all, but I think that some students get internships/scholarships from it and that is pretty nice; but would they have been able to get those on their own? I guess it just comes down to the individual school and what they choose to do with the program, sorry that's not more helpful
>>
No, everything you've just said in this thread is absolutely helpful, thank you :^)
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.