[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What can I do to make people more motivated to care about things
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: 1339162715116.jpg (992 KB, 1442x1614) Image search: [Google]
1339162715116.jpg
992 KB, 1442x1614
What can I do to make people more motivated to care about things like health, environmental issues and other big things that we need to think about now but often don't?

People will spend $20 a week on coffee or $200 on a pair of jeans but won't donate $10 a month to a single cause of their choosing. It's depressing. The medical research budget in USA could be doubled for this kind of expenditure (and even less in other countries that don't research as much).
>>
You sound like real fun to be around.
>>
>>17317703
Yes, you are the kind of person I am talking about. Thank you for being exhibit A.
>>
>>17317686
Hypocrites
>>
>>17317686
Don't be a preachy bore.

You sound like you're into identity politics too.
>>
>>17317717
I'm not. I'm only into life and death issues.
>>
>>17317707
You see, no one likes to be told how to life their life. Obv you're right. Bit being a moralfag won't make people change. They will only make a change if they do it out of their own decisions and motivation. You can try having a convo about the topic. But as soon as ypu start to moralfag on them they will get the fuck out of that conversation. You're just like a vegan trying to rub it onto evreyones face that they are murderers. You are right. But they need to realize that themselfe. You CAN'T make them realize it. It's frustrating but true. If you insist on keeping it up you will piss off a lot of people and make yourself very uncomfortable to be around. Everyone will roll their eyes when you enter a room.
>>
Talk about these issues without being an asshole like I was. Make the topic about cause donation interesting and don't insult them for not donating. Just tips from my own experience
>>
>>17317719
In that case making artwork or being funny is the best way to get people behind you.
>>
You don't really know what people donate, though. Nobody I know is aware of how much I give to charity. I'd have to look at my taxes, but between what I gave to my local CMHC, Planned Parenthood, NRA-ILA, FIRE, and other direct contributions I probably hit 10 grand last year. I probably gave as much in sliding scale or volunteer hours.

Chill your shit.
>>
>>17317759
Talking to most people it sounds like the amount is zero though.
>>
>>17317767
Talking to me you'd think the amount is zero.
>>
I guess the lesson here is that being friends with people in real life other than for business relationships isn't that productive... better to push messages online where there's more reach.
>>
>>17317775
Why would you hide it? $10k is pretty big.
>>
>>17317785
Obviously because he doesn't do it for the recognition.
>>
>>17317785
Its not that I hide it, its that I don't do it for attention or accolades. I give money because I can, because I remember what it was like to be poor, and because its the right thing to do. Bragging about charity is for people who feel guilty about their wealth. It also invites inevitable arguments about who or what you gave to.
>>
>>17317802
But telling others would help to spread the word. Network effects are important.
>>
>>17317809
I'm spreading money and time. If I want to spread the word I'll talk up the org, but I'm not going to talk about my finances.
>>
I'm selfish. I don't donate any of my money. It's all for my family and me. I spend $8 a month on coffee and I buy my jeans at Goodwill for $5 by the way. I do spend stupid amounts of money on other things though.

If it makes you feel any better I recycle... only because the city makes it easy by giving me a specific can for recycling and has curbside pick up.
>>
>>17317859
The way I see it is if I don't donate to things like health research etc. I'll be doing my kids and their kids a disservice.

Just like we complain about baby boomers for their materialism future generations will be saying "fuck the millenials who finished off destroying the planet with consumerism and stalled progress by not investing enough in the future".
>>
>>17317874
Generations of your progeny will be fine. We aren't going to destroy the planet in the next 10,000 years unless we have all out global thermonuclear war or some sort of mass biological war. There's plenty being invested in the future. There's plenty of billionaires doing what millions of us couldn't. Global warming isn't going to destroy this planet. Drilling for oil and burning fossil fuels aren't going to kill the planet. Oil by the way, or petroleum to be more specific, is so vital to production in many industries. It's not just for gasoline. Plastics are made from petroleum. I digress.

Point is we aren't going to destroy the planet any time soon and there's plenty of people investing in the future of the planet. Consumerism by the way propagates progress through revenue. Progress will never stop.
>>
>>17317911
>Global warming isn't going to destroy this planet.

Your baseless absolute confidence worries me but I guess it depends what you mean by "destroy".

It isn't good to leave everything to billionaires. Everyone should be doing their part. Bill Gates can not solve everything.
>>
This sounds super serial
>>
>>17317911
You're really not qualified to talk about this. /pol/ does not provide you with an actual education.
>>
>>17317722
>>17317911
I have a feeling that these anons are a bit more mature as the rest.. they aren't trying to shoot down that 'it is a bad idea to donate money'. It is a great idea to share wealth to address issues! and it comes from a really good place emotionally - that's why people get defensive when shot down by sound argument.
People who have been working for a while/understand society and capitalism a bit, know that the non-for-profit sector is just really goddamn inefficient at converting donations to the intended philanthropy be it medical research, foreign aid etc. It takes some real visionaries, who because of this quality are also billionaires, to move society as a whole forward and things all don't get fixed at once - it's all baby-steps
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.