[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is giving up a stable, well-paid job for a job which decently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: dog.pg_.jpg (12 KB, 350x244) Image search: [Google]
dog.pg_.jpg
12 KB, 350x244
Is giving up a stable, well-paid job for a job which decently yet allows you to live abroad and see the world worth if? I am from an Asian family, and my parents will certainly be against it as they want me to live close to them and give them part of my income. Is making such a decision immoral or naive?
>>
>>17316845
Not really.

If you had kids, and they had the same opportunity, would you rather they stay at home with you?

What's the point of living if you're not willing to take risks and embrace adventure? Your family will still be there, and you'll still be able to visit/move back home. Your job opportunity, however, may not be as permanent.
>>
>>17316878
And your point is? Sorry, am a bit drunk with alcohol at the moment. Be more explicit
>>
>>17316884
My point is that your family will always be there. There is no obligation for you to stay at home and be a wage-slave for your parents.

You have an opportunity to explore the world, something that the majority of people can only dream about. Don't squander it because of your parents' outlandish traditional demands.
>>
>>17316892
Well you said "If you had kids, and they had the same opportunity, would you rather they stay at home with you?". Damn, I am do drunk.
In my culture this is normal. Like many of my cousins ended up in jobs that oats well but they do not like. It is important to pay the bills. I still live in Asia.
>>
>>17316894
>Damn, I am do drunk.
I'm stoned off my rockers and having a hard time articulating my point, I feel you bro.

>In my culture this is normal
I understand it's unorthodox. If you move away from your parents, it doesn't mean that you'd be unable to give them part of your income.

You've been given what sounds like an opportunity of a lifetime. Personally, I'd take it regardless of the possible consequences.
>>
>>17316845
You need to decide whether it's more important to fulfill family obligations (through proximity and financial support) are more important than your personal goals and ambitions.

If you stay out of obligation when you don't want to, then you'll wind up resenting your family. So don't stay if it's not what you really want.
>>
>>17316912
>If you stay out of obligation when you don't want to, then you'll wind up resenting your family
Rephrase please. Well my dad will be OK with it, although he would not have chose to give up his job if he was me
>>17316904
Haha is advice from a stoned person reliable?
>>
Tell your parents to get a pension plan, and support themselves like grown as adults. I never understood why asian parents have the balls to shackle down their kids for handouts.

No but seriously if your parents aren't going to starve to death without tou, go for it.if yoj really need to send them a check here and there.
And remember when you have kids, they can repay all the things you did for them in life to their own kids, not old people
>>
>>17316946
I am from a well-off family. They will be fine without me. It is just a cultural obligation
>>
>>17317087
You said that they expect a portion of your income. If they don't need it, then this payback is also cultural.

So you need to decide whether to reject your cultural obligations, or to reject your own self centered desires. They are in conflict, so you need to pick one and stick to it.You can't have both.
>>
>>17316926
>haha is advice from a stoned person reliable

Well in my case it's only ended with trips to Denny's at 4am, cinnamon pancakes and possibly a milkshake.

So yes.
>>
>>17316845
In my opinion there is nothing better than a place that feels like home and you belong, and people you are close to that you are comfortable with. Leaving to travel will give you a plethora of unique experiences, but will rob you of the wholesome joys that true happiness is founded upon.

Perhaps there is a way to rotate back home for a more stationary job a little later in your career? That would be ideal, because there is no wrong in traveling to see the world, either.
>>
>>17317118
I know. They are in conflict, but this guy reckons that it is better to stay in your homeland >>17317150

>>17317150
Yes that is possible and good as things may not work out well abroad.
>>
>>17317191
That guy isn't wrong. But he isn't necessarily right either. None of us know you. You need to make a choice and understand your choice or else you won't be happy.

In many modern eastern cultures, children are raised with the expectation that the children will get good jobs and start paying back the parents for their being raised and educated as soon as possible. That's not the worst thing, even if the parents don't need the money back. It gives the children a strong senses of familial obligation and responsibility, as well as of the need to start earning some money. This perpetuates the culture, and that's not a bad thing in and of itself.

But if you want to break free of these expectations, then go big or go home.

There's nothing wrong with staying within that structure. It gives you goals and the motivation to reach those goals. Most of the neets here on 4chan would be better off if they weren't allowed to indulge their "hurr durr, nobody gets me" identity.

But if you want to live for yourself, then do it. You can't go back. Make a choice and stick to it.
>>
>>17317237
You are right. I know people who live happily forever aborad and people who end up miserable and homesick and returning home after a few years abroad.
>>
>>17317237
But you said I will resent my family though. Is it really worth it?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.