[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Majoring in engineering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
- Computer science
- Computer engineering
- Electrical engineering
- Mechanical engineering

What should I expect from each major, and which of them is better to major in nowadays?

State reasons for your answers.
>>
I only have experience on the first two. I can only speak from myself but you can expect intense suicidal thoughts.
>>
Those are wildly different. You should major in whatever sounds fun because they all pay.

You like computers and programming more than drafting? Do CS or CE. CE is more hardware than software and vice versa for CS. EE and ME are going to be more physics and "jack of all trades" type engineering.

All can get really boring with high but faster salary caps. CS will let you get those 100k+ jobs you hear about form the bay area, but you'll never leave a computer.

If I could do it all again I'd go chemical.
>>
>>17316382
Sure. Share your experience.
>>
>>17316396
Why chemical? It's an option but I omitted it from the list for some reason.
>>
>>17316404
This is personal for me but I love chemical interactions and engineering in general.

I don't see most people here enjoying chemistry but I love it. I studied chemistry in college because I didn't know what engineering really was because I never had any guidance.

I love making things more efficient, and the idea of building a plant or structure that helps solve a biological and chemical problem in our society sound good to me. Also I don't want to sit on a computer my whole life but that kinda seems inevitable in our day and age.
>>
>>17316382
Why? Is it stressful?
>>
>>17316415
I'm considering computer science, but I've never had any experience with coding or programming. Then again, I've never had any experience in any of them. This makes it a pain in the ass to try choosing.
>>
>>17316426
You will learn to program in those fields. It's inevitable. Once you learn one the rest get easier.

You can try the O-net interest profiler to help guide you. I always recommend it because it runs off the BLS and gives info on education level required, career prospects, and stuff like that.

https://www.mynextmove.org/explore/ip
>>
>No chemical engineering in that list
>No nuke engineering, or whatever those programs morphed into at your colleges
>Very specific and narrow sub-disciplines

Mechanical is the most flooded field from what I can tell. Electrical isn't a bad field, but it doesn't pay like some of the others, and H1B assholes are more able to take to it. Computer stuff is a mixed bag: they're trying to outsource or bring in H1Bs to do it, but discovering that those disciplines require enough creativity and original thought that Ling and Pajeet cannot be trusted to do it.
>>
File: get a job.gif (2 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
get a job.gif
2 MB, 200x150
>>17316380
>get lib arts major
>"good with computers"
>get IT job making 70k out of college
>jobs requiring engineering bachelors are in 50's.
>I make half as much as others with my job title/responsibilities and will fix that as soon as I have *experience*

I'm a "failed" engineer major. imho its better to be in something you enjoy or are good at. And by enjoy we mean you won't kill yourself grinding away at it.

Pay attention to salary vs area. Plenty of "silicon valley" and high salary people with worse standard of living (and hours) than those who don't fall for the meme.
>>
File: 1441073580493.jpg (657 KB, 900x660) Image search: [Google]
1441073580493.jpg
657 KB, 900x660
>>17316382
>you can expect intense suicidal thoughts

>go into mech egr
>everything is going fine and dandy
>3rd year
>Fourier transforms
>vibration analysis
>fluid mechanics
>question I went into this field every week
But I made it, and looking back it wasn't that bad. The concepts can get really abstract if you don't have a stable foundation on the subjects though. There's a reason why the class sizes drop in half or more for the 3rd and 4th years.
>>
Those are all reasonable choices, to you should talk to a counselor or your parents, people who know you better than we do, and ask them. There will be plenty of fluidity to switch after your first semester or year so don't feel like whatever you pick now is what you'll definitely be studying for the rest of your time there. I started in mechanical engineering because everyone told me since I did well in math and science classes in high school that I should go into engineering but I realized I didn't care for the work or career options so I switched to math to satisfy my autism and don't regret it one bit.
>>
My buddy went into mechanical engineering. He was always the type to do it for the money, and he makes great money, but from the sounds of it he is very unfulfilled.

I could see why. All you do is CAD parts and shit.
>>
>>17316451
>vibration analysis
Is this hard? At my school it's a fourth year class so I'm taking it this fall.
>fluid mechanics
Easily the hardest material for a class I've taken, but my teacher made the class easy by having online tests that we could take twice, so everyone would just copy the answers of other people. I didn't learn anything from him, and I learned more about fluids in Heat Transfer.
>>
>>17316451
>Losing it at Fourier
WEAK

>>17316380
Be a man and do math.

Lol I'm just playing, but all of my engineering friends are unemployed (some because they hate engineering but were in too deep) so, as with any major, make sure you have an employment plan or at least meet someone.

You also might have to go to grad school (it's a meme don't unless you love it) if you graduate with no experience.
>>
>>17316666
Oh shit, I just got Satan Quads
>>
>>17316451
you lasted a lot longer than me, differential equations were when I had to ask myself why am I doing this
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.