[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a college student (ChemE) about to start 3rd semester
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: Sponge_Bob_Ruined_(kyzylsungur).jpg (175 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Sponge_Bob_Ruined_(kyzylsungur).jpg
175 KB, 800x600
I'm a college student (ChemE) about to start 3rd semester (currently on summer break).
My mother (single mom) got married and left when I was a kid.
Now I live with my aunt, pay for college tuition myself but I barely managed to pay (had to ask for a loan) current semester's tuition.
Also my best friend is getting married and asked me if I could help him with the wedding banquet cost. Since he's my best friend and has always helped me in my hardest and darkest moments I couldn't muster the courage to reject him.
I have this big college loan and my friend's wedding banquet that I need to pay so I decided to get a job this summer but due to college taking most of my time I only managed to get a job at a call center.
The job is depressing and the pay is even more depressingly low.

I don't know what to do, I'd like to quit this job and get a better one but I don't know who would hire me. I wouldstill prefer to drop tthe job and focus on studying (last semester I didn't have a job, focused solely on studying and still failed two subjects) but I need the money.

Tl;dr Poor college student in huge need of money. What can I do to earn money without jeopardizing college?
>>
>can't afford the tuition fee
Land of the free, everyone!
>>
No matter what you think, you're under no obligation to pay for your friend's wedding. Also taking a year off to save up and returning back to college is an option.
>>
>>17315747
It's supposed to be a cheap state university but tuition fees are still high for someone like me who can't get anything but small-time jobs.

>>17315753
I know I don't have an obligation and I've seriously been considering telling him I can't help but I'd feel like the shittiest friend and I wouldn't be able to look him in the face later.
>>
>>17315764
>I know I don't have an obligation and I've seriously been considering telling him I can't help but I'd feel like the shittiest friend and I wouldn't be able to look him in the face later.
If you can't give him money, you can't give him money. He needs to consider your situation too, and also shouldn't be throwing such a big wedding if he can't afford it.

Your education is more important than his wedding. Period.
>>
>>17315764
Pay for his wedding later. You need to prioritise your tuition right now. If he's a good friend, he'll understand.
>>
>>17315741
Tell your friend to fuck off.
Explain your circumstances to him and why you can't come. If he is a true friend he will understand that you can't make it.

Also, try your hardest to find a better job and focus on college so you don't fuck that up, you're in massive debt already over it, so you may as well focus on that 10000% percent over everything else. So personally I'd drop the job.
>>
>already in debt
>giving money away
You are a special kind of retard.
>>
>>17315741
Along with other lines of action, go to your uni's financial aid office. Once you're in, they have a very strong incentive to keep you in, and are likely to be more generous with scholarships or other aid than they were when you first applied.
>>
>>17315741
I don't understand. If you're poor you get a shit ton of money. If you're middle class, then you suck it up and take out loans. I went to a good state school and only have $30k in loans (sad that this is low now). That's peanuts compared to a lot of people.

You're also a dumb ass for agreeing to pay something you can't afford. Now he's going to rely on you when he can't.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.