[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I got a job offer that pays 22% more than I currently make. the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: peter1.jpg (152 KB, 1600x1213) Image search: [Google]
peter1.jpg
152 KB, 1600x1213
I got a job offer that pays 22% more than I currently make. the downside is it's in a city 1500 miles away that I dont really have a desire to live in. and I would have to be long distance with my gf for 1 year before she can move with me. should I do it? what would you consider? cost of living is the same basically. and the job would be at least as interesting as my current job, maybe more, and they will pay for me to relocate.
>>
What is 22% and do you live your girlfriend?
>>
>>17314617
about $16k. no we live separate. dating 3 years.
>>
Honestly man... it depends on how happy you are where you are.

As the other Anon said though what's 22%? Your pay increase may be a % but everything in life costs dollars in absolute amounts.
>>
>>17314685

Well, what would you do with the extra $16k? Use it on more vacations and trips? Save up to buy another place as an investment/whatever? Buy a nicer car? Invest it all into the market and attempt to retire early?

It depends on what the extra money would do for you. How do you know that you don't want to live in this place, have you visited or spent any amount of time there before?

Also, how much do you like your current job and is there room for advancement?
>>
>>17314705
I think the new job would be a little better as far as the work, but the advancement is the same outlook I would say. I haven't spent much time in the location but it's in the opposite direction that i ultimately want to settle into later, and is a small town vs city. i'm sure I would be okay there it would just be a slight downgrade. as for the extra 16k, I would mostly likely just save it all. I do plan on early retirement. it would probably shave a year or two off my total years worked ultimately. probably spend some of it on plane tickets to see gf regularly. I'm basically 50/50 on the whole thing.
>>
>>17314599
Is the job offering going to advance your career in a direction that you won't be able to live happily without?

Will staying with your girlfriend advance your relationship in a direction you won't be able to live happily without?
>>
>>17314722

interesting. how long have you been with gf?
>>
>>17314722
My honest instinct is to say go for it.
Money is better, job sounds better, its an opportunity to climb the ladder no matter how you look at it.

The long distance relationship bit is what gives me pause, though.
>>
>>17314722
do you plan on marrying the girl though?
>>
dump your
gf and buy a better one
>>
>>17314599
Ask to work remotely otherwise it's not worth moving cities if you have a social circle there, no reason to alienate yourself.
>>
>>17314750
underrated post
>>
>>17314750
Not absolutely to both, but I would prefer both.
>>
>>17314768
3yr
>>
>>17315475
Not possible but good idea
>>
>>17314599
>a job offer that pays 22%
>it's in a city 1500 miles away that I dont really have a desire to live in
LOL. I was considering turning down a job offer that paid 120% more and was closer to where I live just because I didn't feel like changing jobs
>>
22% is not worth moving 1500 miles for

If the current place you live is not that great economically you might want to consider moving though
>>
>>17316259

Are they paying for your moving costs? That is going ot be an expensive first year if not
>>
>>17316236
seems foolish to turn down 120% (for example from 50k to 110k?) or do you mean +20%?
>>
>>17316716
I meant 120%, but I didn't turn it down eventually.
>>
>>17316724
how did you manage to get that kind of increase?
>>
>>17316733
Not samefag, but I got a 300% increase last year. Partly from moving to a higher cost of living area, but mostly because my current employer is more ambitious and generous
>>
>>17316733
I asked way too little money in my first job and the job interview for my next job went really well
>>
>>17316733
Not that guy but just try working in finance or tech in SV or NY.... even a retard can get six figures.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.