[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This might sound like a stupid question with no real answer,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: grim-reaper.jpg (33 KB, 300x446) Image search: [Google]
grim-reaper.jpg
33 KB, 300x446
This might sound like a stupid question with no real answer, but I figured I'd give it a shot anyways. At least I might get some insight.

I am turning 22 this autumn.

For the past couple of weeks, I've been unable to sleep well. The thought of death, oblivion, total nothingness absolutely terrifies me. I can't stop thinking about it, and every time I try to dive deeper into that dread to maybe find a resolve, I keep getting more and more terrified.
The things I've figured out so far are: Everybody is dying, there's no helping it.
I don't remember the time before I lived, and I won't remember the time after it.
Everybody is at least partially frightened by death.
Life is short compared to death's infinity.

I just want to stop thinking about it. I'm starting out as a geology student next year, and I just want to stop thinking about death. My own demise shouldn't be on my mind while I still live, I know that. It's just that every single thing that brought me joy before now seems hopelessly pointless. It's as if life itself is so pointless I might as well just do nothing at all. Why acquire more knowledge when I will lose it all when I die? Why love when loved ones will either die before or after me? I can't stand this thought. I just want to forget about death.

What do I do? :(
>>
>>17314393
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT8LaMrn_MM
>>
>>17314393
s t o i c i s m

there's nothing you can do about it - why bother thinking about it?
>>
>>17314393
one day, you die
>>
youre not wrong. Youre just way too preoccupied with it. this happens to people at age 8 or 45 or whenever. I believe you'll get through it.
>>
>>17314437
This helped quite a lot. Thank you. I'll be checking out the other parts, however many there are. :)
I feel like death isn't something I can just ignore. I need to somehow accept it. Find a reason to exist. A mission.
Collecting data for the generations to come doesn't sound too bad, actually.
>>
>>17314551
No problem ^^
Btw add me on skype if you wanna talk. I was exactly like you few years ago.
AttilaDude
>>
>>17314551
God is a good reason to exist
>>
>>17314393
Its not STUPID. I found this pretty disturbing growing up and randomly do. For the most part I've gotten over it. Go learn about biology and space. Anything to make the world feel bigger than yourself or make you feel like part of a whole. The atoms in your body were made in stars. You're a product of millions of years of successful algorithms adapting to the environment. You're self aware matter with the capability of studying itself.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.