[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I become more interesting? I suck at convo, I can talk
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1440586576555.png (143 KB, 418x525) Image search: [Google]
1440586576555.png
143 KB, 418x525
How do I become more interesting? I suck at convo, I can talk for a while but then soon I just can't find anything to say, especially when not many of my interests with the person clash. How do I become a better conversationalist, I hate always having to ask someone what they want to talk about or asking if they have questions they want to ask me.
>>
>>17313845
Find common ground, or have the other person talk about what they're passionate about. Also try to keep up and pay attention or at least pretend you're interested. It will mostly be boring things about them and what they do.
>>
>>17313934
I guess so, I'm just bad at talking for long periods even though I'd love to. I wouldn't want to switch to topics only im interested in
>>
>>17313845
Be interested in the other person - ask questions, make comments, tell anecdotes that are related to what they just said.
Try to find common ground - either something you're interested in, or experiences in your childhood, or your plans for the future, or what you're doing in your daily life.
Be funny - joke around and make the other person laugh.
Learn when the conversation is over.
Don't talk shit about yourself or the other person, never.
>>
what does it mean to be interesting? If everyone had those qualities, then nobody would be interesting.

Just accept that you are a boring person, and take comfort in know that your lack of interesting features enables others to be interesting.
>>
>>17313972
Thanks, I'll keep this all in mind.
>>
>>17313845
tell me, how long do you think an average conversation should last?
>>
>>17313972
>Learn when the conversation is over.
I am so bad at this
>>
>>17313992
I hear about people talking to people for hours and such. I wish I could have that, non stop conversation which only gets more interesting by the minute.
>>
>>17314179
12 hour convos are great but you burn out a person that way
>>
i love this thread haha
>>
>>17313845
I have a similar problem. I can converse for hours about things I'm interested in or at least feel some emotions about, but I can't smalltalk at all. when I'm around people who talk about the usual bullshit I just can't say anything on my own and I'm only able to give few word replies that come off pretty retarded. I don't understand how people can talk about literally nothing
>>
>>17313845
>ask someone what they want to talk about or asking if they have questions they want to ask me.

Next time you feel like you want to do this, don't. That will make you a much better conversationalist, people always think you need to be a good talker to be a good conversationalist, wrong! You just need to be a good listener, and have something worthwhile to say before actually saying. Some people are just so obsessed with filling the awkward silence that happens sometimes that they end up subconsciously killing the conversation by actually talking.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.