[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone here gotten over depression? If so, how?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: La Filosofia.jpg (593 KB, 1390x2073) Image search: [Google]
La Filosofia.jpg
593 KB, 1390x2073
Has anyone here gotten over depression?
If so, how?
>>
>>17310979
yes.

you realize that it's up to you. no one else can truly help. you're responsible for how your life is going and how you feel about things. if you're unwilling to make changes then you're a willing participant in your own pitiful self-wallowing. if you're okay with that then stay in bed. if you're not then make the choice to change.
>>
>>17310989
Not real depression, altho I'm not sure OP is talking about real depression or self prescribed pseudo drama bullshit. If it's the second it could maybe help.
>>
i don't think it's as simple as one day it's there and the next week you fixed it , it's overtime learning ways to cope with it and finding what works best for you . For me it was exercising and music and just getting out of the house when i felt my worst . these are not solutions they're just distractions . but that's all happiness really is . good luck buddy
>>
>>17310979
Yes.
With a year and half of therapy.
>>
>>17311001
>these are not solutions they're just distractions . but that's all happiness really is .
pretty much this. you just sort of get over it with time if you don't end up killing yourself, but you don't actually 'get over it' you just start distracting yourself and feeling slightly less shitty every day until maybe something genuinely good happens to you and you can push it aside for a while. Pills and therapy and etc are all bull shit it's just whether you decide at random that you feel a little better and take small steps into normalcy.
>>
You never get over it. It's always there, lurking. Churchill talks of a black dog that comes to say hi, and I think he is right.

You learn to get better, take care of yourself, love yourself, and you try to recognize what signs are indicating you that the black dog is going to visit you soon.
>>
>>17310989
Thank you very much

>>17311000
I'm talking about real depression, but any kind of advice is highly appreciated

>>17311001
Thank you, that was very honest. Good luck to you too
>>
>>17311000
what is real depression friend
>>
>>17311030

Some people have symptons similar to depression, what we would call like having the blues. You just feel sad and low on energy, but it is just a temporary phase which might be due to a certain event or even the change in the weather, but they get better really fast. It's not a cycle, and it's not a permanent state they find themselves in.
>>
File: 1408121742654.gif (26 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1408121742654.gif
26 KB, 360x360
>>17310979
Noone can help you, but you yourself.
You need to find purpose.
Try out new hobbies and do not give up on them. Apathy is your greatest enemy here.
Exercising is a really good thing, do it daily. You will feel better about yourself, and it will help you build your self-esteem.
Start eating healthier - I am not saying you should start a hardcore diet, just add something healthy to your usual.
Get up earlier in the morning, do not stay up late. Keep a healthy sleep schedule.
If you feel that you are ready, go and meet people. And I'm not neccesarily talking about bars or parties - go to convents, workshops, or some places where people share your interests and hobbies. Things you like.
Try to laugh and smile whenever you can.

Depression is not something you can get rid of overnight. It's a long process of healing, and it might even come back.
But you cannot give up.
Do not give up on yourself, anon.
>>
Medication shouldn't be your first plan of attack, but it can be very helpful.

I was on Prozac for ~6 years despite it not working for most of that time. I'm very emotionally numb now despite not being depressed, so I wouldn't recommend ssris personally. I'm on Welbutrin and Mirtazapine now. The latter helped with motivation to start exercising again (I was in very good shape the entire time I was on Prozac, didn't help at all), improve my diet, made me feel like it was worth doing things in general, socialize, and as it's a sleep aid it fixed that as well.

It can always come back though, and the comment that there are distractions not solutions is accurate.
>>
>>17310979

yes. msotly by psychologically conditioning myself to be positive.
>>
I have. To me I woke up one morning and realized that I was miserably largely due to my mindset, that I was waiting for someone to come along and save me. I always kinda figured I'd stumble into happiness one day, but that's not how it works. If I wanted to be happy I had to take my life into my own hands.

A few tips: Even when you're not going out, dress up decently. Don't just wear your pajamas all day. It'll help your self-esteem.

Try to catch yourself when you're being negative. Try to undo negative thought patterns. These become a habit that can be broken like any other.

Self-affirmation works. The trick is to find ones that are true. Try to develop positive thought habits this way.

Go out to nature. It's really relaxing.

Meditation works, but it takes time. It's like building muscle.

Working out helps, too. Get your sleep habits and diet in check. These things are huge, people say this all the time because it's fucking true.
>>
>>17311049
Thank you very much. I've been trying to do most of the things you listed for the last 2-3 months, but that did not really do it for me and now I feel a little hopeless. I'll try not to give up.
Again, thank you.

>>17311065
I've refused to take medications in the past, but I'm starting to feel like it is the only thing left to do.
Thank you.

>>17311076
Thank you. I'll try that too.
>>
>>17311092

Oh, and if you're being irrational, try to train yourself to recognize it. Depressed people often exaggerate things to be more negative than they really are in their heads.

Consider volunteering, it'll make you feel good and get you out of the house consistently. It'll also get you interacting with other people which is a big deal because we are social creatures.

Keeping a clean living space is great for the mind, people really underestimate how their environment affects them.

Don't drink the poison. Don't seek vengeance, the sooner awful people become a distant memory, the better. Start cutting out people who are a negative influence on your life.

This takes time. It took me 3 years to completely shed my depression. That may sound discouraging, but it wasn't an overnight thing. I felt progressively better and better each week. Now I'm really glad that I did, I was really squandering my potential. I'm still behind in life but I've gained a sense of confidence that I'll carry with me forever, and you can too. Having struggled will make you more resilient once you finally pull yourself out of the hole.

This is a lifestyle change. It will take time to build these habits. Try to add one positive habit at a time and once it's stuck, add another. If you try to do too much at once you'll get overwhelmed and relapse into your old habits.
>>
>>17311092
>>17311098
Well, thank you. That was quite inspirational. I'll try and follow your advice. I'm very grateful
>>
>>17311115
No problem. I wish you the best of luck, I believe in you anon!
>>
Do you also suffer from crippling apathy?

Search for teal swan's video on apathy on YouTube. It made me aware of shit I never even thought could affect me. I'm more weak and a coward than I ever imagined. You have to make a choice about how you want your life to be.
>>
>>17311021
This. You don't ever get over it fully. You only manage to fend it off for a while.
>>
>>17310979
Family has history of deprrssion. Medically diagnosed. Dad has it. He's a retired officer with 30 years in the service. Brother has it. Also has a sleu of other issues. Doped up to the fucking gills. Sister has it , minor, but she's a mother of 5 with a genius level IQ and feels trapped. I have it, but it's minor and it's episodes of manic depression.

All my family has had some kind of medication to help except me.

It took me many years to realize the signs of depression in my own life. It's cyclical. I understand it can come and go. I put in place habits and patterns of behavior to countermande the effects of depression.

Positive hobbies are key. Learning to let go of pointless bullshit is key. Working out and maintaining good health is key. Understanding when something is too much for you to handle and allowing others to help is key.

Comming to this point of realization won't happen overnight. It'll take years of work, but if you want to keep off the meds and enjoy a relatively unclouded brain, then it's worth it
>>
>>17310979
simple, ask your self why youre sad and how you can overcome it. cant get a girlfriend? learn how to get one. poor? get a job. its really simple, people are too lazy sack of shits to just get up and fix it.
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 640x640
>>17310979
Don't listen to all these happy-go-lucky over-medicated fucks!

They're all doped up on mood stabilizers.
>>
>>17311529
Your family shouldn't be reproducing.
Stop spreading your inferior genes.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.