[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Existential Crisis
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (424 KB, 1050x591) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
424 KB, 1050x591
So this is the first time I've ever made it out to this board, but I need help. I've been puking my guts out thinking about how nothing fucking matters and everything I'll ever know and do isn't even a speck of dust in the grand perspective of this world, let alone the universe. I'm trying to rationalize existence, but it really is not working out. I doubt I'm suicidal, but its really weighing heavily on me, enough to where I skipped work today.

Any tips to not think about it/philosophy to use to combat this?
>>
>>17306216
You need psilocybin mushrooms and some zen. A little ego death is gonna go a long way at battling the existential terrors.
>>
Stop trying to control things beyond your control. Nothing you do is going to make the universe less vast or time less... long. Seriously, everyone can only control a small portion of your life, much less reality. Just focus on what you can do, that's the key to living the best life you can.
>>
>>17306224
I could try to do a bit of zen, but working in defense, so I gotta keep clean. I wouldn't call myself an egotist, but I guess I might be subconciously.
>>
Psychedelics, meditation, and reading. Psychedelics don't stay in your system for more than a few days so don't worry about being tested. Also read some books like "Doors of Perception" and "Zen Mind". Hell even reading psychology books can help.
>>
There is no meaning but what we create. Lose yourself in a project. Create the reality you want to see.
>>
Read some Alan Watts!
>>
The audio series "Out of your mind" by alan watts really helped me with this problem.
>>
>>17306257
Well the good news is, psiolcybin is one of those that gets flushed almost immediately after you take it. It's so insoluble that what you piss out is actually enough to get you high all over again. But that's not the point.

When I say ego death I don't mean that your egotistical or anything like that. Ego death refers to the death of what psychologists typically classify as the ego. The part of the psyche that's obsessed with the self. How you perceive and react to the world around you. Your ego is having difficulty reconciling the fact that it's such a small part of such an indescribably massive construct as the universe surrounding us. Mushrooms (and hallucinogens in general, but my experience is with shrooms) have and interesting effect on the ego of the stoned person. It's almost impossible to explain to someone who's never experienced it, but there's a reason so many people who take hallucinogens often times describe visits with God or beings of another higher plane of existence. And it's through these odd little revelations that the ego is actually able to snap back and live comfortably with the idea that there's something much bigger than it out there. Talking about it is such a disservice to what it's actually like, but it's something that could help you.
>>
Read the stoics. Don't do drugs and don't read bullshit watered down philosophy for plebs.
>>
Seek out meaningful connections and allow yourself to have fun. Stop taking life so seriously.
>>
>>17306315
>IF IT WORKED FOR ME IT SHOULD WORK FOR YOU, DON'T LISTEN TO ANYONE ELSE

Not very stoic of you champ.
>>
The stoics were a bunch of ignorant faggots. Waste of time.
>>
>>17306216
Voltaire's "Candide" is about a man who has loads of misadventures that prove that the world is cruel and meaningless, and he ends up back at home saying "We must cultivate our garden"

The point is that the world out there may be meaningless, but you can take your own little corner of it and impose order on it, and gain comfort, satisfaction and some meaning to your life by doing that.
>>
>>17306336
>if I ignore it it will go away

Profound.
>>
>>17306216
The only way to deal with thoughts like this is to ignore them. The more you mull over it the more you begin to obsess over it.

Intuitively you're inclined to think that the way out of this is rationalisation but it's just the opposite. Ignore it, don't indulge the thought, and it will get better
>>
>>17306332
>should
Never said that. Never even implied it. I gave suggestions. Contemporary philosophers are either too obscurantist, to technical or have nothing to say. I don't claim to be a stoic at all. I think reading philosophy is cathartic and personally feel that the stoics are easier to read than the existentialists which is why I recommended them. Taking drugs is a way to avoid your problems instead of face them, so I advised against it.
>>
>>17306336
If your world is cruel and meaningless, I don't think you're very good at living life. How then is your advice worth anything?

It's like taking writing lessons from someone who says that putting words on paper feels sluggish, painful and unfulfilling.
>>
>>17306351
Psychedelics virgin detected
>>
>>17306351
Actually psychedelics are the best way to face your deepest fears and problems head on
>>
>>17306342
And effective
>>
>>17306372
I've done plenty and I'll back up his claim.
>>
>>17306431
Not the best, just the easiest. A Stoic like him should rightfully scoff at the idea of using drugs to improve himself spiritually.

I commend the Stoics' principled nature, and their foregoing of ease to stand by those principles.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.