[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do I need to be good at math to be a programmer ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: 2016-06-26-21-28-09-1736733779.jpg (11 KB, 367x137) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-26-21-28-09-1736733779.jpg
11 KB, 367x137
I want to become a programmer so I thought about going to college for computer science

I heard math was involved and I'm not too good at it what do I do ??
>>
Luckily math is something you can practice really hard and get good at.

Often there's math classes you can take that don't require high school maths that teach you all you need for harder math classes that might be required for your CS course.

Do them, spend tons of time on them and master them and work your way up. You should be fine.
>>
>>17301004
Get good, you lazy fuck.
>>
No, but you need it if you want a CS degree.
>>
>>17301004
Only a bare minimum. It's more about problem-solving skills than anything else. Most degrees require up to some calculus. See if they let you switch some for linear algebra, that's more useful and easier.
>>
>>17301004
You need to take a lot of math for a CS degree but if you hate math like me then get a CIT/IT/CIS degree. Pretty much the same shit with less math
>>
I fucking suck at math and I'm currently doing a PhD in computer science, so no, you don't have to be good at it, you just have to work hard enough to pass math classes.
>>
It helps. The ability to model computation is really useful. But it's definitely not necessary, beyond a basic understanding of arithmetic.

I started getting into computer programming when I was 8 or 9, and consistently failed high school maths. I started studying discrete math a few years ago on my own to further my programming abilities, and I've found that my programming experience actually helped me to learn the formal stuff more than the formal stuff helped my programming (at the time, at least.)

That said, it really depends on what it is you're wanting to program. Whatever the case, though, a lot of the discrete maths are different from your usual math, so don't write yourself off at being bad at it until you at least try to learn some of the concepts.
>>
>>17301864
this ^^ & c's get degrees...

but it's better to learn the math and chase your dreams ... search for khan academy on youtube, study and practice, test in high, override needless shit and move on.
>>
>>17301004
also, you should define if you're just wanting to be a software programmer or engineer the devices and program from there, the courses are much different with the latter having much more math.
>>
Just going to echo all these responses and say "no, not really." I'm not *bad* at math but I'm not particularly interested in it -- always did poorly in my math classes in high school & college because I zoned the fuck out during all the lectures -- and I taught myself to program at about 11 and landed my first programming job (well, an internship) at about 14. Today I'd probably struggle to solve a randomly-picked problem from my Calc I textbook. There are specialties that require a lot of math, but you don't have to go into them. If you can limp through Calc I and II -- and you probably can -- then you'll probably also be able to limp through whatever other math courses your degree requires (assuming you're going for a degree) and after that I give you permission to forget it all. You'll be fine.
>>
>>17301004
You don't need much math when programming, but programming is a small part of CS. DESU get good at algebra.
>>
Depending on the type of programming. Vidya requires arithmetic but advanced data analytics and AI creation requires a little bit more
>>
>>17301004
usually it's just babby tier math, but other times it depends on what you are actually coding.

you can copy-paste stuff from stackoverflow anyway, so dont worry about math
>>
>>17301004
Is it that you arent good at math or it wasn't presented to you in the right way? I suggest you start computer programming at home and see how you do.

In highschool I was notorious for failing classes I didnt care about and acing classes I did.

I barely passed math, but in computer science I got 96%, my ISU was a working side scrolling space shooter built from the ground up.

Im now a carpenter which requires a lot of math and geometry.

If its presented in a practical way that makes sense and has an actual desired end goal, Its a lot easier for me to understand. You are likely the same way. In math class they just say "Heres a formula. Learn it" with no "why".

Sucking at grasping that =/= sucking at math
>>
>>17302141
Dobt forget linear algebra.
>>
Computer science uses a lot of "math". And when I say math, I mean mathematics that you haven't been exposed to yet and also completely different. I would say that you need to be good at logic. That would help in computer science, but being good in computational stuff doesn't help that much.
>>
File: projection_matrix_eq.png (6 KB, 435x172) Image search: [Google]
projection_matrix_eq.png
6 KB, 435x172
>>17301004

Don't listen to anyone ITT.

If you want to program anything you need math. Lots of it.

>>17302141

fucking lol. Try to make a 3d engine, or even program something from openGL up. You wouldn't get 1kb down before you run into pic related

>>17303202

thanks for the input pajeet.
>>
>>17301004
only some specific narrow areas require advanced math. I work as a programmer and I barely remember what a logarithm is. I had a lot of math and statistics classes, like multivariate analysis, in uni and I forgot all of it, because I didn't need to use it. most of programming requires only boolean logic and some highschool math.
>>
>>17303515
Because everything involves using opengl or 3d modeling. I guess we better go tell those embedded systems developers that they aren't real programmers.
>>
No.

All the tricky algorithm stuff has libraries or is well documented.
>>
>>17304334

that isn't what I said, Sandeep. I was just responding to that particular retard.

>>17304348

dumb webdev poster

>>17301864

Why would you want to be a shitty computer technician?

If you aren't good at math, maybe computers in general aren't for you.

>>17303213

I agree. Math education is totally non-functional and it's disgusting.

The sad part is that the question "Why?" usually has a very clear answer. Usually the shitty union government worker teachers don't know the answer and are incapable of doing anything above the bare minimum that standardized exams require in the US.
>>
>>17301004
CS is 70% math but programming and CS are not the same thing (related but not the same)
>>
Propositional logic and set theory is very important in programming.
>>
>>17303515
>implying 3d stuff isn't like less than 10% of the overall programming stuff
and anyway you can just google the stuff you need.

>pajeet
sorry if i prefer spending my time on problem solving instead of wasting it on writing code that everybody else already wrote
>>
>>17305743

-T. Pajeet Brainlet
>>
Making 6 figures as a web dev and haven't used any math in over a year.

Same can't be said if you want to get into embedded systems or graphics programming tho.
>>
>>17306917
Look, CS is a great degree due to the global shortage/need for software engineers, but there's no need to spew bullshit. You're not going to make 6 figures as a web developer unless you accept (and are lucky enough to be offered) some senior managerial role at a large company or similar.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.