[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone here dealt with having two roommates and only space
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 600x320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 600x320
Has anyone here dealt with having two roommates and only space in the garage for three cars?

My roommate just finally bought a car after nearly two years of living here. It's a used car, not as nice as mine and my roommate's cars... We really don't want to park outside all the time and expose our cars to the elements. I'm sure he doesn't want to either, but... Yeah.

Do I just tell him that my other roommate and I had first dibs on the garage and he'll have to wait for a space to open up?
>>
>>17296346

Space for two cars, I meant... Not 3.
>>
>>17296346
First come first serve.
>>
>>17296346
Yeah, we pretty much just said if the garage is free, use it. If it's full, park on the street
>>
>>17296356

This is the thing though, he works from home a lot. So if he's "first come," he's going to be in the garage all the time with his shitty $5,000 Hyundai while our way more expensive cars sit in the street.

This guy never contributes around the house or anything either, so I'm sure it would be the breaking point for my other, awesome roommate.
>>
>>17296371
As long as he pays for the house, he have the right to park in the garage, now stfu materialistic bully
>>
Garage parking rights should be determined by payment: you pay more of the rent if you get garage parking. Same with other perks: larger room, private bathroom, etc
>>
Your roommate's a fuckwit for buying a car when there's no space, and therefore his should go on the street.
>>
>>17296354
Pretty much this. Whoever gets home first gets the garage.
>>
>>17296371
This isn't determined by 'I don't like him so he shouldn't get garage space'
>>
>>17296371
If his car is sitting the most, he most definitely should garage it.
>>
>>17296570

That seems like a slippery slope (also hard to prove in our situation).

I own the house and have two roommates solely for the fact that it helps me save money. Essentially, their rent pays my mortgage, and I just pay the utilities. If we were all to pay the same, I'd have to raise my rent and lower theirs, which defeats the purpose.

What they pay to live here is much cheaper than anything in the area, by at least $400, so they're getting a great deal.

He has no transparency into what I charge my other roommate, but it's slightly less than his, because I've lived with the other roommate for 6 years and I know he's an amazing roommate. I'll pay an extra $20-40 to know my roommie is going to help clean and be quiet and respectful.

>>17296502
Okay, so mine and my roommate's hard work and sweat to buy nice things should suffer so we can be fair to the guy who spends hundreds of dollars a month on Pop! vinyls and finally decided to buy a beater.

>>17296572
This is sensible, but definitely more mean than what I want to say, haha.
>>
>>17296591
>Okay, so mine and my roommate's hard work and sweat to buy nice things should suffer so we can be fair to the guy who spends hundreds of dollars a month on Pop! vinyls and finally decided to buy a beater.
Your car's value is not what should determine who gets to park in the garage. If it's your house, then I think it's fair that you get a parking space, but the other one should be first in first served.
>>
>>17296591
What's wrong with a two weeks in, one week out rotation? You're adults, you should be able to think critically and solve this problem.

Since he's paying more than the other roommate, then he has a greater right to the garage. It doesn't matter what he chooses to spend the rest of his money on, that's none of your business
>>
>>17296599

Alternatively, my roommate and I could just kick him out, but I feel like that's going to absolutely destroy him now that he just made a financial investment in a car, and the cost of living around here is sky high.
>>
>>17296611
So basically you've determined that he has no right to the garage space in any circumstance, partially because you just don't like him, and you want us to come up with a good reason that he should just accept it.
>>
>>17296619

Yes, I'm basically looking for the most amicable way to tell him he's not going to get to park in the garage without totally offending him. I know that I'm going to offend him to some degree, but if there's something I can offer him to make it a little easier, I'm happy to do it. I dunno, like, buy him a car cover or something, so it's not so hot.

>>17296608
He failed to pay me rent on time all the time when he first moved in, so seeing him waste all of his money on literal toys (when he moved in here to "get back on his feet") is totally my business. From what I can tell, he has no savings at all, and if anything slightly goes wrong with his job, he will be destitute and unable to pay me. But his collection of new toys stacks to the ceiling in his room.
>>
>>17296346
do wat my landlord does...park on the sidewalk of a full driveway
>>
>>17296632
Fuck you.
>>
>>17296646

Someone who can't support himself without someone paying his way detected.
>>
>>17296654
I'm not a he, I pay rent and live with two roommates, and if they did this kind of thing I would be pissed, hence me saying fuck you. Of course I'm not stupid enough to buy a car, and respect that he decided to buy something cheap.

Also, fuck you.
>>
>>17296632

You sound like a passive aggressive cunt
>>
>>17296669
this desu

Who cares what he buys, what care he drives, etc. Is the rent payed on time? You already have an agreement on parking?

Then stfu
>>
>>17296669
He sounds like a jackass who values money over everything else.
>>
>>17296676

We do not have an agreement on parking. He has never owned a car and sprung this on us.

There's the additional complexity of me needing to figure out what to do with his car when he's gone on work trips for weeks/months at a time without it getting towed, or having the homeowner's association charge me.
>>
>>17296684

And yet OP prolly still can't get laid
>>
>>17296697
its his car he needs to figure out how to not get it towed.
how do you have homeowners fees when you rent not own?
>>
>>17296697
It's his problem then, let him work it out. You should just kick him out since there's so much hostility though.
>>
>>17296713

The hostility is only caused by the OP behaving like a little bitch. The roomie probably has no idea about it because OP is too much of a pussy to communicate with him.
>>
>>17296705

I already said I own the house. The two roommates rent from me.

>>17296713

I would have kicked him out a long time ago if I thought he had anywhere to go. My other roommate and I have been discussing kicking him out, and just found out yesterday that he purchased a car, so he probably does not have any money to go move to a place unless he goes to the worst part of town.

I don't hate the guy, and I don't want to put him out on the street. Do I like him? As a drinking buddy, sure. As a roommate, he's irritating.

>>17296721

I'll communicate with him soon, but he didn't give me the opportunity to know what he was doing and think it through or connect with the home owner's association or anything.
>>
If you own the house, why are you such a pussy about this? You make the decisions. If they don't like it, they move out. It's so simple I don't understand how you could figure out getting a mortgage but not this.
>>
>>17296697
>There's the additional complexity of me needing to figure out what to do with his car when he's gone on work trips for weeks/months at a time without it getting towed, or having the homeowner's association charge me.
Then wouldn't it just be easier to let him keep his car in the garage when he's gone?
>>
>>17296813

NO BECAUSE THEN OP'S CAR WOULD BE EXPOSED TO THE ELEMENTS, CAN'T HAVE THAT ALTHOUGH THE REST OF THE FUCKING POPULATION DOES IT
>>
>>17296803

I don't wanna build ill will with someone who has access to my house and my shit all the time. Even though I'm coming across like a dick, I don't wanna just say "get the fuck out" when he's trying to work on his life.
>>
>>17296813

No, because then my car or my roommate's car has to spend all fucking day outside. In the heat, in the sun, ruining the paint, heating up the interior, ruining something I worked hard to buy.

>>17296823
My roommate and I would not have purchased our cars if they were going to sit in the sun all day, we would have purchased something cheaper.

The roommate who just bought his car never negotiated that he'd eventually need a parking spot in the garage - he has had no car for two years. Nowhere in his lease does it say he gets a garage spot.
>>
>>17296842

Bitch please, you prolly drive a Punto
>>
>>17296842
>No, because then my car or my roommate's car has to spend all fucking day outside. In the heat, in the sun, ruining the paint, heating up the interior, ruining something I worked hard to buy.
So suck it up and pay the fees and stop it from getting towed. He has a right to buy a car if he wants to.
>>
>>17296845
Kek
>>
>>17296828
You establish boundaries and expectations. If they don't like your choices, they leave. If they cause trouble, you call the police.
>>
>>17296842
>Nowhere in his lease does it say he gets a garage spot.
Do you even have reason to believe he thinks he is entitled to a garage spot? It seems like you are completely inept at interpersonal communication
>>
OP, what would you like to happen in this situation? Realistic options, nothing like "go back in time and stop him from buying the car."

Right now we're going in circles. On one hand, you don't want him to have a garage space because then you or your other roommate have to leave yours outside. On the other, you don't want him to have his on the road, because then you'd have to pay fees. You can't have it both ways.
>>
You automatically get one parking spot.

The two roommates should work out how the other spot is shared. The roommate (the one you like more) is not entitled to a parking spot either unless it's on the lease
>>
>>17296893
>The roommate (the one you like more) is not entitled to a parking spot either unless it's on the lease
Especially because he pays less rent than the guy OP doesn't like. I'm honestly more for him getting the garage space, since he pays more.
>>
>>17296845

K, sure.

>>17296851

Why is it my job to pay his fees for purchasing something without thinking it through?

>>17296870

He asked me yesterday where he should park. I told him the street. He asked when he can get a garage door opener. Pretty clear. He's been out of the house all day, so no time to talk about it.

>>17296890

I would like to do something reasonably nice for him to make him not feel terrible that his car is stuck outside, but with the clear understanding that it's going to remain that way.

I would also like to explain that he is not going to be able to park his car in the garage while he is away for weeks at a time, and he will need to accept that he may incur fees that he'll need to pay, but I'm happy to try to help to move his car so he doesn't get towed or anything.

>>17296893
>>17296899

As an aside, the other roommate would happily pay more to park, but again, it's a useless gesture, as neither one are actually aware of what they pay me.
>>
>>17296925
>He asked when he can get a garage door opener. Pretty clear. He's been out of the house all day, so no time to talk about it.
There was time to talk about it immediately after he asked, you nimwit. You should have answered him, "You don't need a garage door opener to park on the street."
>>
Just bite the bullet OP and kick his ass out. Think of some excuse and say he's gotta be gone in 30.

Harness your here.
>>
>>17296925
It's your house so one of the garage spots is obviously yours. No discussion.

Regarding the second spot, why can't your two roomates agree on a weekly or monthly rotation system like the other anon proposed? Also make sure that roomate #2 knows he has to park on the street whenever he is going away for several weeks. I think that's pretty reasonable, especially when roomate #2 even pays more rent than #1. #2 being an impulsive manchild with a cheap ass car shouldn't be a factor as long as he pays his rent and helps around the house to some degree.
>>
>>17296973

I hadn't really thought it through yet. I was happy he got a car. It was through a text.

>>17297005
I'm mainly afraid of losing roommate #1. If I lose him, I essentially end up paying for the house by myself from here on out, as the odds of finding a trustworthy roommate at 30 years old at very poor. I can afford it, but the extra money lets me do a lot more fun things with my life.
>>
>>17297064
Okay I see. Then I suggest you lie and tell roomate #2 that #1 already pays more rent than him for garage privileges, and there is nothing you can do because he will move out if he has to park on the street. If he starts bitching tell him he should've talked it over with you BEFORE buying the damn car.
>>
Fuck, op. Where abouts do you live? I will talk to your room mates for you if you pay me $100, which is less than what you'd spend on a car cover and sidewalk fees.
>>
>>17297131

Nevada.
>>
>>17297131

Look for OP, driving in his expensive silver Punto
>>
>>17297144
I'm in LA. Are you willing to pay for gas?
>>
God OP sounds like a cunt. This is why you never room with friends or people you know. The cunt side you never knew about comes out

>/adv/ I let this guy who I really don't like room at my place because it helps me not pay any money other than utilities. But now instead of just not existing he dared to buy a car, wtf? Please validate my choice to be a total passive aggresive cunt and lie to him about the space issue because I don't want to pay more money and kick him out and I'm also scared of confrontation :(.
>>
>>17297210

Yep, OP's a passive aggressive cunt.
Quite strange really, since he's a grown ass man. But I guess that's why he still has roomies.
>>
>>17297210
>>17297215

I'm not being passive aggressive. I am going to tell him that he does not have a spot in the garage. I'm looking for the best way to do it.
>>
>>17297239
Read through most your thread OP.

I understand why you're frustrated. I think it was stupid of the roommate to approach the subject the way he did. He asked you for the opener knowing full-wll that there were only two spots in the garage.

You should first discuss with the other tenant and get his feel for what you should do. Why are you taking sole-responsibility for sorting this out?

If it were me, I would do this, alternate between yourself and your other roomate to share with this guy for the summer so he always has a spot. When winter comes, the original two take the spot since you guys don't work from home and need cars protected from the elements.

Are you all paying the same rent?
>>
>>17297283
Me again. Just read more. You own the house? Just tell him he doesn't get an opener because there is no spot.

"Sorry dude, so spot as you know me and X use the garage". Don't even promise him the spot if the other guy goes because you may want to use that as a selling point to get another roommate.
>>
>>17297290
The entire issue is OP is living the cushy life by having two roomates. This is the scenario

-OP invites friend to room with him

-realizes he can pay even less if they get a third roomate

-gets roomate despite not liking the guy

-gets upset that the guy spends money on things and doesn't rush to deliver rent cash

-is scared of losing third roomate's rent and so doesn't want to bluntly tell him no to the spot

-pretends that he is so hesitant to tell him directly out of a sense of compassion and worry about the individual

This is a complete non-issue that could be resolved as easily as you say but OP doesn't want to lose his second source of income and have to pay more. Additionally I have a very strong suspicion any new roommates would also be subject to these arbitrary terms OP makes up at will and he knows this is bullshit and it will be difficult to get a new roommate.
>>
>>17297290

Thanks anon. The summer elements here are much worse than the winter. The heat has an effect on the paint, ruins darker interiors, that kind of thing.

I know I've come across like a dick in this thread for the most part, but it's just a matter of wanting to take care of my things, y'know? And not ruining my relationship with an awesome roommate and friend so we can be nice to this other guy.
>>
>>17297307
I agree it is OPs fault for not being more professional and telling the third roommate to pay first and last month in advance and be more professional with determining household responsibilities, but I wouldn't say these are arbitrary terms. Unless there is something in the contract about a parking spot, then no one except OP is entitled to it. The other guy was there first, and OP owns the house.
>>
>>17297309
Don't sweat it. You sound too nervous about this. The spot isn't there and the guy knows it. Just tell him straight up if he asks again - there isn't a spot available right now. If he wants a spot, tell him it was already a term of your other roommates (verbal) contract. If he doesn't like it, move out.

Better yet, suggest that if he improves his behavior with paying on time and cleaning up around the house, you would consider the possibility of maybe sharing the spot
>>
>>17297315

They are arbitrary in that imagine if you were going to room somewhere and you asked them about the parking scenario. They tell you you will not have any chance at a parking spot inside the garage despite you being one of a few renters. When you ask why or the reasoning behind the decision they respond 'lel thats the way it is' in addition OP is charging variable rent amounts to both roomates. The one who will be getting a spot pays less than the one who OP wants to shut out.
>>
>>17297307

OP here again.

>gets roommate despite not liking the guy
I actually liked this guy originally - he worked with me, was an Air Force guy, he seemed super responsible. I let him move in because he was down and out for what I thought were things he had no control over (shitty roommate, dealing with a divorce).

>Doesn't rush to deliver rent cash
There's a big difference between being a few days late occasionally, and showing up day one without the first month's rent, then losing your job and continuing to buy stupid shit instead of paying me rent. I almost put him on the street. He still doesn't have rent ready on the agreed day, I have to remind him every single time.

>Doesn't want to tell him bluntly no
I probably didn't express myself right. I just don't know the right way to say it without really kicking him in the gut. He's not a bad person.

>Scared of losing rent
I would prefer he moved out so we can just pay his remaining share of the rent, but he has put himself in this situation where he's like a lost puppy and can't go anywhere else. I don't really want any further roommates unless someone is a clear fit that has their shit together.
>>
>>17297321
>OP is charging variable rent amounts to both roomates
>the one who will be getting a spot pays less than the one who OP wants to shut out

I don't really see the problem. The guy wasn't promised a garage spot when he moved in, was he (OP?)? And the guy agreed to the rent. You can charge variable rent rates if you own the house. I think you're trying ot make OP look like an ass, but I disagree. If I had a friend renting from me, I would probably charge him much less for rent than I would for a stranger, for a variety of reasons. In fact, in some cases, rent goes down the longer someone is there for the fact they prove they pay on time and you want to keep the tenant
>>
>>17297321

This conversation didn't really happen, though. He said "I don't have a car, no worries!" and then showed up with a car yesterday expecting a space. He didn't ask.

It's "lel thats the way it is" because he didn't bother asking.
>>
>>17297323
>>prefer he moved out

Tell him you're looking to get more space from the place and give him 6 months to find a new place. Trust me - that's a lot of time.

You sound like you let people walk all over you, and I'm sure posting here didn't help because I don't understand why everyone in this thread has a problem with you. At first I read this and missed the part where you owned the house and sort of agreed with them, but the fact you own the place, you're only bound to provide what is part of the contract.

I'll check back after game of thrones to see how you make out..
>>
>>17297331

Nah, he was never promised a spot in the garage. And yes, the other roommate is amazing. He cleans the house frequently, saying that I'm giving him a great rate, so I don't need to bother. He's been one of my closest friends for 12 years, a roommate for 6 years, and we never get in each other's way. He's never not paid on time a single time in his life.
>>
>>17297331
Not whom you were replying to, but OP is an ass because he won't deal this this situation directly. He can charge what he wants to whomever he wants as it is his home (but he'd probably bitch and moan that no one would accept his terms). It's his unwillingness to be forthcoming with his tenants that is the problem.
>>
>>17297344

Again, I'm willing to be forthcoming. I'm asking about this to find the best way to be forthcoming and save some feelings.
>>
>>17297351
There is no magical best way. You just man up and tell it like it is. "No, you may not have a garage door opener. No, you may not park in the garage." End of story. if he doesn't like it, he can move out. Fuck, you are such a bitch.
>>
Is OP female? God damn you talk too much. Just kick him out you prissy bitch.
>>
>>17296738
You own it, you get a garage space
Let the other two figure it out
>>
>>17296346
that's called being a shitty roommate, you and the other roommate should pay more in rent because you're getting the extra amenity of parking your car in the garage, don't want to pay extra? park outside dipshit
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.