[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've never posted here, /adv/, so I hope I'm not lining
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: I don't work here any more.jpg (497 KB, 900x565) Image search: [Google]
I don't work here any more.jpg
497 KB, 900x565
I've never posted here, /adv/, so I hope I'm not lining myself up for ridicule and posts telling me to kill myself. If this is the wrong place to post, please just say so and I'll leave quietly.

So I quit my job. I'm young (23) and I'm attending university. I live with my parents, and I pay rent each month. I have more than enough money in the bank to cover rent and expenses for at least 6-8 months. I handed in my two weeks notice five days ago, and I've just discovered that my boss doesn't have any more hours lined up for me between now and the day I no longer work for him.

The thing is, I don't have another job lined up. I've worked at my old place (A&W fast food) for six years and I despised it. I'd come home each night with terrible headaches and the smell of grease and meat and sweat would take forever to come out of my skin. I knew that it's going to take at least another month before I find another job at Walmart or some place at the nearby mall. I just couldn't take it anymore, /adv/. It sounds shitty of me and I feel awful for it, but I realized one day at work that I could not take one more minute of being there.

In the week since I handed in my two weeks, I've felt better than I had in years. I feel much more positive, I haven't had a single headache, and I feel like I can finally move forward and DO something with my life. I'm prepared to go down to about 30 different places and to hand off my resume to the manager tomorrow; I'm getting a haircut in just a few hours. It was the earliest I could get a hair appointment, so it delayed me a little.

(1/2)
>>
(2/2)

The problem is that I have to tell my father; my mother already knows. I feel like such a child to be asking this, but how do I tell him that I quit my job without another one waiting for me?

Like I said: I'm not struggling financially; I can make rent on time and pay all my bills for the foreseeable future. I have a few psychological issues (anxiety, depression, low self-esteem, and a terrible fear that I'm letting other people down. My psych says I have a Type A independent personality), and I'm seeing a psychologist to get some help.

I'm terrified at how my father will react. He won't hit me - he never has - but he'll make it so overwhelmingly clear how disappointed he is in my and how awful a decision it was. Anxiety, OCD, and shit like that run in my family, but my dad has never really understood that. He just doesn't "get" why I can't stop feeling awful all the time. I feel like nothing I do is the right decision, like it's not so much "did I do well" and more "how badly did I fuck up this time". For god's sake, /adv/, I used to lie to him during the summer and say that I was reading through my old uni text books because I didn't want him to know that I wasn't doing anything productive. I already feel like an enormous disappointment, and I don't want him to feel the same way.

What do I do, /adv/? Do I get those resumes out as quickly as I can so that I can tell him that I'm doing something productive to solve my unemployment? Do I lie and say that my hours have been cut back? I have no idea of what to do short of asking fucking MOMMY to talk to my dad and ease it in.

I appreciate any help any of y'all can give. Like I said, if this is the wrong place to post I'll just leave and let my thread slowly make its way to page 10.
>>
>>17296361
I'm still trying to get past the "my parents are making me pay rent" line.
>>
>>17296369
I do it because I want to help. It makes it easier to pay the bills and buy groceries.
>>
>In the week since I handed in my two weeks, I've felt better than I had in years
I'm happy for you. I remember feeling the same way after quitting a job I didn't like.

>I'm prepared to go down to about 30 different places and to hand off my resume to the manager tomorrow
Now's the time to do it, so go do it

>I realized one day at work that I could not take one more minute of being there
And this is especially bad. Now, I'm sure you made the right choice - but making choices in this way is going to backfire eventually - if not this time, the next. Impulsiveness and career/money don't mix well.

>how do I tell him that I quit my job without another one waiting for me?
You just tell him. If you realized it's a bad idea, you own up to it and admit you made a mistake and are working to fix it. If you don't think it's a bad idea, you say why, and stop caring what he thinks.

>Do I get those resumes out as quickly as I can so that I can tell him that I'm doing something productive to solve my unemployment?
Definitely do it, but not for his sake

>Do I lie and say that my hours have been cut back?
>asking fucking MOMMY to talk to my dad and ease it in.
My personal advice is to avoid doing any of these. You're becoming an adult, and a large part of that is owning up to your actions and choices. Lying and depending on others is the child's way out.

I hope you take this opportunity to grow and also find a much better job
Good luck!
>>
>>17296401
Thank you for the advice, Anon. You gave me a lot more than I thought I'd get, and I appreciate that.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.