[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reference or not?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: RX480_678x452.jpg (29 KB, 678x429) Image search: [Google]
RX480_678x452.jpg
29 KB, 678x429
I've never owned a reference GPU and have never been interested since people always talk about how shitty they are but I'm sitting here without a GPU and have a real urge to go out on the 29th and get a reference RX480.

Are the reference cards really as bad as they say? People often use them for SLI/XF so they can't be THAT bad, right?

One thing I really loved about my previous card (ASUS 760 DC2OC) was that it was totally silent while idle. Are there any reference type card that also utilize "0db"/silent when idle or are the fans always active?
>>
>>17292723
wait a bit for the price drop and don't buy the brand newest video card.
>>
>>17292729
I doubt they'll drop more than marginally considering the launch price. The only reason for holding out would be to buy an AIB card with better cooling. Rumor has it that the RX480 is pretty low in power consumption so hopefully the reference design will be good enough to cool it down.
>>
wait for benchmarks
also I'm jealous of your prices. In my country the 1080 costs the equivalent of like, $1200
>>
>>17292741
All the leaks give roughly the same results, slightly below 980 as stock. I'm also jealous of the US pricing, I'm from Europe myself but the rumored launch prices aren't too bad though in comparison to other cards.
The 980 which is a teeny bit more powerful costs around €400 and the RX480 (8GB reference design) is rumored to be <€300.
>>
No, reference cards won't be able to disable the fan. They often run quite hot, even at the stock clocks.

The benefit they confer in SLI configurations is their ability to pull heat from the case, and the back of the card in front of it. It creates a negative pressure flow which is much more efficient at pulling air from restricted spaces.

You should really just wait for the non-reference designs to be released. They'll run cooler, quieter, faster, and have better features for the most part.
>>
>>17292749
I won't OC so the only benefit for me would be a cooler and more quiet card (which isn't too bad). Last I heard the non-reference cards will launch sometime mid-July so it's not too much of a wait.
>>
>>17292754
Pretty much all non-reference cards come factory OCed. It's just free performance.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.