[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What should I do?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: scared.jpg (8 KB, 241x228) Image search: [Google]
scared.jpg
8 KB, 241x228
I'm 24 years old. I took 5 years for a B.S. of Psychology and have done fuck all (work or volunteering) since and before hand. I can't apply to graduate school because shit tier 2.48 GPA from taking classes I'd never pass in. I don't like people in general and can't deal with groups of more than 10. I was thinking about obtaining a technical degree and working or just straight up bullshitting on my resume to apply for jobs I'm under qualified for. I've been having thoughts of suicide. Please help.
>>
>>17292644
What did you want to do with your psychology degree, anon?
>>
>>17293072
I wanted to be a therapist or a counsellor.
>>
>>17293225
But you don't like people? Please explain that to me, anon.

Grad school could potentially be an option for you, but good luck with the GPA. Did you do any research in undergrad?
>>
>>17293225
...but you dont like people

d-did you not think this through?
>>
>>17292644

>2.48 GPA

That's not just "taking classes you'll never pass in" -- that's just downright retard tier. What is your major GPA (as in, only classes related to your degree field and not the gen ed stuff)? If it's still a 2.48, then you really should never return to academia since college learning doesn't seem to be your strong suit.

Go to a trade school and learn to become a welder or something. Maybe you're better at working with your hands rather than books.
>>
>>17293306
>>
>>17293242
No research.
>>
>>17293352

That's... pretty awful in a field that is over saturated with people who are easily able to pull 4.0s. You definitely need to look at technical degrees.
>>
>>17293364
>Gets a BS in Psychology
>Takes 5 years, but at least it's not 6
>Doesn't do research
>Gets a 2.48 GPA
My dude did you ever stop and think that maybe you should change your major or try more? Suicide definitely isn't the way to go, and you're going to have a tough time to get into grad school or do research, but it's not impossible. But you need to work your ass off.
>>
>>17293399
im a mechanic for powerplants now after i got out of the military which i joined for the fact that i was failing college. psychology was the ONLY class i ever got straight A's for the 3 semesters i went.

the fuck was you doing dude?
>>
>>17293414
Grad school requires letters of recommendation and at least a 2.5 GPA typically. I don't have either. Do I take courses at a community college to boost undergraduate GPA and fake letters of recommendations? I also don't see a way of getting into research without making a fake resume.
>>
>>17293624
>Faking a resume or letters of recommendation
Nigga no. Go to community college if you have to and you seriously want to go into grad school. But you need to set a plan for yourself.
>>
>>17293624

Let's take a step back.

Why do you want to go to grad school? You said you don't like people already, and being a therapist or counselor will be ALL ABOUT PEOPLE.

If you only got a 3.0 GPA for your major, why do you think you will do well when the academics are even more rigorous and demanding?

What is the reason for you staying on this path? You can get decent jobs in management with a BS in psych
>>
File: 1453228761655.jpg (39 KB, 500x355) Image search: [Google]
1453228761655.jpg
39 KB, 500x355
>>17292644
You basically just described my exact same situation.

I've got a bachelor's in Chemistry. I've done fuck all with it and I don't really care to. The only problem is I feel obligated to salvage it and go to grad school even though I'm past the 5-year rule. Easy peasy right?

Also doesn't help that what I WANT to do is study and create music. That's a super safe career!

I'm still trying to accept my failure. I'm afraid to. I didn't think it all through well enough and admitting that is scary.

I'm not exactly a success story but some pointers I might suggest are:

>don't get bogged down with the past and how your situation came about
>accept where you are and do what you can to fix it
>forget any obligation you feel to your parents.
>forget salvaging your degree.
>it's your life
>you don't owe it to parents or friends or a degree. your time in school and how it went doesn't have to dictate the rest of your life.
>you don't have to be ashamed of anything

I'd be lying to you if I told you I never thought of suicide. If it wasn't the perfect answer to pain and suffering people wouldn't fucking do it every fucking day. Young and old. Underachieved or achieved. No amount of sappy bullshit is going to talk you out of pulling the plug when you're writhing in pain on your death bed or when you're sure you've accomplished everything and you're happy to quit. Just remember that it's YOUR choice. It's not on anyone else. If you can convince yourself to quit you can convince yourself to stay.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.