[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello musicians on /adv/, I wish to learn how to play an instrument.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
File: Music.jpg (139 KB, 1224x1224) Image search: [Google]
Music.jpg
139 KB, 1224x1224
Hello musicians on /adv/,
I wish to learn how to play an instrument. What would you suggest for a complete amateur, and how would one go about learning how to play? The last I touched an instrument was several years ago in a music class.
>>
>>17292263
learn how to read music before you touch anything

if you cant do that then you aren't going to make it
>>
>>17292263
start with a piano or keyboard. this will make understanding most string instruments a little easier. percussion is fun, but can get pretty expensive. i cant help you with anything that requires you to blow into it to make sounds.
>>
>>17292263
start with piano first

it will go a LONG way
>>
Guitar or bass. Both relatively simple and you dont HAVE to learn to read music before you start if its just a hobby.
>>
>>17292277
>not knowing how to read music if its your hobby

get the fuck out of here

that's like saying cars are your hobby but you can't drive
>>
>>17292267

Multi-instrumentalist here. Start playing whatever the fuck you want. I just decided to pick up guitar one day, I learned the basics (strumming, reading tabs etc.) and then I moved on to basic songs. Really, just practicing everyday is the best thing you can do to improve yourself. You don't even have to practice more than an hour a day. Spend about 30 minutes just practicing some of your favorite songs or working on something you're having difficulty with.
>>
>>17292267
Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't considered that the natural first step would be to start there, but I now realise it's rather obvious. Can you suggest any good online resources for learning how to read notes and such? Based on other replies and my own interests, I think piano and other similar instruments seem the most approachable for me.
>>
>>17292286
>guitar

lol alright how many guitars are in an orchestra?

He wants to play music not slam on strings like a hormonal teenager
>>
>>17292282
Ive actually been playing guitar for 7-8 years, and i didnt know how to read music before i started. If its just a hobby, why would you need to know all the theory and how to read sheet music? Guitar has tabs for a reason
>>
>>17292311
Thats like saying jazz guitar or classical guitar isnt musical. not everyone wants to learn orchestrated music, or just instruments that are in orchestras for that matter
>>
>>17292352
>replying to Pegasus
Just save your energy, anon
>>
>>17292282
Fuck off you fucking puritan.

If you understand music theory there is no need to develop such a useless skill like "reading music". If you're a classical guitarist, then fine, read it all you want, but your path is not the only "right path", you self-rightous asshole.
>>
>>17292311
many orchestral pieces feature guitarists

you know, this board was a lot more enjoyable when you were gone. i really wish youd just fuck off.
>>
>>17292311

Well, I was going to come back and respond. But the other two anons did my job for me.
>>
File: Naamloos-1.png (36 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Naamloos-1.png
36 KB, 200x200
>>17292429
I didn't think i could bait musicians but it happened

the absolute madman

>>17292460
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkuu0Lwb5EM

The hound of hell is on the loose again ;O
>>
>>17292286
You sound like one of those guys who can barely play anything and is horrible at it and thinks he is a musical genius.
>>
Actual musician here. The only way to get good is to take lessons from a teacher.
>>
>>17292761
>who is nobuo uematsu
anon pls
do not mislead the children
>>
>>17292263
Learn to play whatever you want to play. Choose one that fits your liking, budget, and your circumstances. I wouldn't suggest a trombone if you live in an apartment.

Find an instrument, and buy some beginner methods books at your local music store. Those will go over the basics of instrument orientation, and how to read music. If you can, find a teacher willing to give lessons. Be careful, they can get expensive, so if you take lessons, try to get the most out of them.

>>17292267
Stop being retarded, and stop giving stupid advice.

>>17292308
Don't listen to him. Learning to read music isn't necessary if it's your hobby, but it is helpful, because it will allow you to access a LOT of music and lower the barrier to learning pieces. If you plan on making a career out of playing professionally, like in an orchestra, or as a studio musician, then reading would be essential.
>>
>>17292863
>dude I love books
>whats your favorite book
>dude i cant read lmao!
>>
>>17292263
it's entirely possible to teach yourself notes and reading music etc but technique is best
shown in person. teacher recommended.

you don't have to start with piano.

you must understand it requires practice and time put in to sound anything near presentable, let alone good.

if piano, no synthesia.

find some friends or other beginning musicians. this will make it more enjoyable because starting off sucks no matter how talented you are naturally.

>>17292863
this anon gives solid advice.
>>17292777
trips of truth. self teaching is possible. requires dedication, maybe moreso than if taking classes or lesssons.
>>
>>17292267
I play three instruments and I have to sit down and pore over pages to read music.
>>
>>17293076
Thank you (and everyone else too) for all the advice. I'm enjoying my current career choice, so right now I wish to "just" learn a new hobby. I picked music because it's something I have wanted to do for a while now, and I feel like it's something that gives me endlessly room for improvement.

Most of you are saying I should look for a teacher and I understand that getting my technique right is important. Before I jump into any specific instrument, is it possible to try the more standard ones anywhere? If I'm to buy a guitar, what should I look into if I'm to get a very basic acoustic one?
>>
Buy a moderately priced electrical piano.

Guitars are ok but will teach you jack shit about music theory.

t. musician
>>
I'm a flutist, and I can agree that starting with something simple like the piano is a great start, unless you like hard instruments like the French Horn
>>
>>17293398
uhhhhhhhh you learn the exact same musical theory to play guitar and piano
>>
>>17292757

Do I? Forgive me then.
>>
>>17292263
>what you suggest for a complete amateur
lessons
>>
i started out on a trumpet and using the musical reading skills i gained from that, i quickly picked up other instruments and read in several other keys. (trumpet plays in Bb) I would suggest a keyboard or something like that first, if youre starting from zero musical experience.
>>
File: 1459909493849.png (416 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1459909493849.png
416 KB, 640x480
>>17292267
>>17292282
tripfag being retarded again

If you like guitars or ust want something easy, play guitar. go to justinguitar.com to learn, he's a phenomenal teacher with really good videos online. I'm an intermediate player and I still learn loads from him everyday.

If you want to take things more seriously (or like piano stuff) learn the keyboard. Don't buy an acoustic piano right away since that shit's expensive, and plus keys are pretty spot on to the average bystander. It's harder, but it makes learning notes and music theory later on if you ever branch out to different instruments MUCH easier (trust me I learned piano first)

Don't listen to the tripfag and you'll be golden. Godspeed, anon.
>>
>>17294321
Lol I love how all the cucks telling OP not to read music play guitar

and by play I mean they only know the chords to a few metallica songs and top 40 shite

poseurs to the max
>>
>>17292308
Don't listen to that anon. Many innovative musicians have no formal education whatsoever, it's all about merging expression and technique.
Think of technique as your tools of expression. If you wanna read sheet music, that's totally fine, start with piano.
If it's not your goal, start with guitar.

First try getting down the simple stuff perfectly, and then do more complicated things little by little.
Once you've got some neat technique, start focusing on the sounds you are producing, all the nuances you cam give it and all the feelings you can evoke. Start improvising. I hope you click with some instrument, so good luck!
>>
>>17294344
>how to learn music from a liberal

DUDE JUST PLAY WITH YOUR FEEEEELS MAN
>>
>>17292885
YOU CUTE!
>>
any classical musicians here?? i play bassoon
>>
>>17292263
Piano first, then anything else second. Just don't end up playing fucking RIVER FLOWS IN YOU or fur elise.
>>
>>17294337

Agreed. You're all a bunch of wannabes who will never make it in the music industry. Might as well take those guitars you're so proud of and smash them into your skulls.
>>
>>17294548
Trombone. Yes, we are as obnoxious and crude as everyone says.
>>
>>17292263
Picka an instrument you like and are interested in.
Buy a decent one and take a few lessons.

I'm a guitar teacher and I deal with new people all the time. Honestly, if you're an adult, you can probably learn enough from like, 2 months of lessons, to be able to "play" the instrument (learn songs on your own, possibly play in a band).
>>
>>17292282
Professional violinist and casual guitar player here.

You sound like a retard
>>
Play hot cross buns on the recorder faggot
>>
>>17292267
Whatever you dont DONT listen to elitist like this post.

Yes reading music is important, but so is enjoying yourself. You're not going to be a classical musician and you're probably going to end up on an instrument that can be played without using standard notation. I guarantee you if this is just a fleeting thing learning notation first will RUIN your love for it. You just want to play an instrument, not study musical theory. Two very different things.
>>
Choose an instrument that intrigues you, makes you want to dance, something you enjoy and master it. I play bass, and originally started with the electric for rock music. now I'm in love with the upright bass , and in a jazz band. Quite fun. I also know how to play multiple other instruments such as the French horn, trombone, marimba, and saxophone.

As for the arguments for music reading I see:

If you're learning guitar/bass you can start by reading tabs (which are the strings, and fret numbers) to get you familiar with it.

Any other instrument you should learn both clefts since it'll help you majorly. As people suggested piano. It's a great instrument to help you start since it's pretty black and white (ba dum tss) on how to play it at the base level. I personally found it bland to play, and strayed from it because I found something that drew my eye more.

Something you can do is go to a music shop, and see if they'll let you play some of the instruments to see what you like. Some places will even allow you to play some of the wind instruments.
>>
File: 1464775272971-biz.png (431 KB, 1280x891) Image search: [Google]
1464775272971-biz.png
431 KB, 1280x891
>>17294633
>make it in the music industry
>>
>>17294548
Classical pianist here. It's not something you can teach yourself. Having a teacher is a requirement.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.