[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone with experience with long term relationships please advise.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
Anyone with experience with long term relationships please advise.

I have been with my girlfriend for just over 3 years now and things have been a little rocky recently, she has felt the need to see friends a lot and drink/party with them time to time to break up the monotony in her life due to work/study and commitment to another person (me). This isnt a problem at all but i feel like she has more fun with them because they are a collective group of people, i asked her this and she responded saying she still has fun with me but its a different kind of fun, like she has a side suited for me and then a wilder more sassy side that she is like around her friends. I have little worries about her cheating or anything so this isnt about that, its more about how people keep things going after such a long time together, eventually you will not be able to keep up super interesting banter and things are just comfortable and familiar, im a very laid back person and love my girlfriend with all my heart and im realistic so things like this dont bother me but i have felt she might take me for granted because of the familiarity. She has admitted she prefer not invite me along to her friend gatherings because she prefer to not worry about how im doing the whole time and if im having fun because obviously she will be conversing and catching up with her friends which i also understand.

I'm not even completely sure what i'm asking here, i just want to know if all of this is normal and expected from long term relationships.
>>
What exactly are you concerned about?
>>
>>17291260

Well ever since she has started to feel the need to let loose and see friends more than she used to, i've felt a little insecure about our relationship and how she feels about us, she still tells me she loves me and everything so i dont really have a good reason for feeling this way, its like im fearing she will get bored of me at this rate, just wanted to know if these kinds of phases are normal in long term relationships.
>>
>>17291260
She parties a lot and he isn't invited. He can't spend more time with her to create a stronger bond through physical connection. He feels that there's an inadequate level of bonding going on at this point in the relationship. It appears the relationship is actually transitioning into something he doesn't like. It's possible he fears the worst.

Or none of this is right and he just wants to be a part of her circle of friends and it's weird he wont ever be given the chance.
>>
>>17291267
Sounds to me like you're worried about nothing. Spending time apart is normal in relationships, and when you've been together long term, that's especially when it's important to spend time apart so you don't get bored or feel like the relationship is stagnating. I've always made a point to spend time with both my boyfriend and my friends. Don't you ever want to spend time with your own friends?
>>
Same thing happened to me just before I've discovered she's cheating on me.

Not sure which as first, cheating made her separate me, or separating me for her friends made her cheat, because I also had little worries.

It was the end and I did not expect that.
She was a little fucked in the head I suppose and not mature enough for a long term relationship, at some point you just have to give up on le yolo swag life and settle down for daily routine. Just let this kind of people rot after their 30's and regret their life choices while you work on your own life.
>>
>>17291269

You're in the ballpark here, but i don't think its very serious, just my insecurities arising and im trying to deal with it without coming across as annoying and needy. The thing is i have never really wanted to hang with her friends, i wouldnt decline the offer if i was invited but i never pushed for it, and there was a period where her friends would ask why i never came along, this made her think and she got worried because i wasnt part of her "friend" life, but when we discussed it she admitted she didnt really want me to come anyway and she felt like she had to have me there because of her friends asking her all the time about me. So i think the point we're at is good because we agree.
>>
>>17291272

Yeah i completely agree, i do spend time with my friends too, i try to align this with when she see's her friends so we don't waste days that we could spend together. I think i just love spending most of my time with her so seeing her so eager to see her friends and sometimes several days in a row makes me miss her a bit and get a little bit insecure about how much she actually wants to see me. I know these feelings are probably rubbish but they are there no matter how hard i try to pretend they arent.
>>
>>17291285
Talk to her and ask her to make your relationship a priority - spend time together, maybe even just cook dinner together or grab lunch together if she's seeing her friends at night.
Talk to her about how you feel. You can find a compromise.
>>
>>17291276

Sorry to hear, i don't think this is the case at all with my girlfriend because i trust her completely and we have always had a good loyalty/trust factor, my girlfriend is in her early 20's and i am passed the yolo swag phase of wanting to go out and get smashed every weekend, so i guess this behaviour is expected from her. I just worry she will get bored of me because when we see each other theres no fun party drugs to take and big social banter.
>>
>>17291278
Eyyy. You got there. Now, is it normal and expected in any relationship? Just LDR? Beats me. Good luck, you seem all right.
>>
>>17291285
For what it's worth, I think you're right when you say it's your insecurities. From an outsider's perspective, it sounds like your relationship is just fine and healthy.

>>17291291
I don't think there's anything in what OP has said to indicate that she doesn't see the relationship as a priority.
>>
>>17291291

Thanks for the advice but i'm super hesitant to ask for more of her time, i can admit we see each other a LOT so i think part of my insecurity arises because im so used to seeing her so often that when she goes an entire weekend to hang with friends/socialize i get this little voice in my head that she might be getting over me, i know its illogical and frankly im starting to hate myself for it, i never used to be this person, i think being together so long and investing so much time in each other im fearful of losing her eventually and having wasted so many years.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.