[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes something easy to respond to? if I am talking to someone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 1466182908224.jpg (93 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1466182908224.jpg
93 KB, 1080x1080
What makes something easy to respond to?
if I am talking to someone what are rules that would make what I say easy to respond to?

Questions are straight forward so they are easy to respond to, but what about answers or reactions? how do I make them easy to respond to?
>>
>>17287419
Vague and odd question right there.

What kind of response are you looking to get? Shitting on a sidewalk in public is bound to get easy, disgusted responses.
>>
>>17287430
i mean when you talk to people or even a date
how do i make it easier for them to respond? make it so that they easily have something to say, and not have the small silence or feel awkward?
>>
Don't close the conversation. Many people make the mistake of short answers (nothing) or give dead end answers (me too).

Don't let your response be a dead end unless you plan to change subjects
>>
>>17287419
just build on the last thing said

Do you like those new cars -yeah they look cool, i like the wheels - yeah i like the hot motor - yeah this one has 500 hp - yeah that seems like alot... kinda general but maybe thats what youre looking for
>>
Stating something in a way that would evoke the other party's opinion, might be what you're looking for. Saying something like "It sure is gloomy out" when there are no clouds and the sun is beaming on your forehead is a good way to get someone to call you a retard, for example.

As long as you don't state shallow garbage it's much easier for someone to expand on the conversation. It makes no difference, however, if the other party doesn't give a shit to begin with.
>>
>>17287455
The awkwardness goes away if you stop feeling awkward.

This >>17287457 is good advice.

There is no forbidden grammar technique to smooth conversation. It just takes practice and confidence.
>>
File: 1465656541521.jpg (34 KB, 500x497) Image search: [Google]
1465656541521.jpg
34 KB, 500x497
i am aware of all these said things
what can I do to step up my game? the next level
>>
>>17287419
You're focusing on the wrong thing.

You need to understand whether or not she's into you.

If she's not interested she won't respond either way.
>>
>>17287500
it is not only about a date
>>
>>17287496
Be interested in talking about whatever it is you were discussing tends to help. Not having anything to say about a topic generally shows a lack of interest and forcing the matter is less than ideal. If the other party had something to talk about on said topic, why would they not have engaged you already before you realized the conversation was a flop to begin with?

Being passionate/stubborn tends to drag conversations but I can't imagine why you'd want to be an asshole just to flap your gums for a few more sentences.

In summary, knowing what the other party likes to talk about or has prior knowledge in contributes to potential conversation-durability. Identifying their interest in a topic does not solely reside in whether they are heavily invested in said topic, recognizing if they are interested currently holds relevance. If you are having difficulty extending the length of a topic, simply transition into a new one if you wish to keep talking to the individual in question.

Beyond this I guess I'm retarded too. If I don't have anything to elaborate on I find it straightforward enough to not pretend there is more to say. I will, however, pretend everything I said is of substance.
>>
>>17287536
I am aware of what you said
>>
>>17287573
This is a great example of you knowing but not doing it.
You have no idea how to put your knowledge into practice.

Your response broke not only the conversation you could have with the guy but with the whole thread. You sounded like a top percentage asshole.
>>
>>17287586
Alternatively the poster acknowledged the topic has been concluded.
>>
>>17287586
Oh sorry i see that my response was mean
anyway, i already use everything posted here and people do not feel awkward with me

I want to know what else is there? I want someone to mention something that i haven't been doing
>>
>>17287599
get the other person to talk about something they are into, like when you find it they will keep talking about it, and you can keep asking deeper questions about it. after you get to talking, things may go easier after that
>>
>>17287599
Man, you need to improve you writing.
I thought you made people feel awkward. You are better than me at this then.
I got nothing for you, sorry.
>>
>>17287612
thanks friend
and i type like this because i don't think it's a big deal

>>17287611
I do this though
>>
>>17287628
You can type like this if you don't use "," or "?", that's what confused me.
>>
>>17287628
>I do this though

You're not doing it here. You had the perfect opportunity to expand on a particular conversation you felt was open but it fell flat. But you didn't. You said "I do this though" and killed it all

I think your perception of your communication skills is off
>>
>>17287675
because you said something i have already stated in this thread and in OP
i did not feel you are worth talking to about this
>>
>>17287419
I understand what you mean, but i have the same problem so i can't offer a solution.

Especially over text, where they have the option to just not respond at all. In person, not responding is very rude and few people will do it, but over text it's frequent.

>>17287536
>nowing what the other party likes to talk about
How to figure this out without asking directly? "So what do you like to talk about" is a fairly awkward question.
>>
>>17288266
If you're already having conversations with the person, they have most likely passionately let loose on you already and you know the answer and only asked in the case of a fresh new individual whom you've had less conversation time with.

Knowing their general hobbies helps. If they read books you can try starting with any you enjoyed and allow them to dump on your awful taste or you end up sharing similar fecal pleasures. If you absolutely have no idea what hobbies they have or interests, once again just lead with your own. Makes more sense if it's something you've recently picked up, no need to go on about your favorite all time number one grandslammer of a pest the thistle and how it is mankind's worst nemesis. Effectively missing the point, but you may get a bite on that.

Using the shit example, "i'm wrist deep into the latest jk hawkien novel and it's surprisingly pleasant for a recommendation", you may get a wide range of responses such as "i dont read books" or even more specifically "i dont read shit." The latter is extremely useful because they have announced their exquisite sewage refinery methods and you may now engage them on their disgusting ways.

The former is a clear indicator that you should give up on this topic and have been given the clear green sign to transition into "any hobbies you'd like to share", "they're a good time waster, have anything similar?", or my absolute not favorite "not into books?", because anything is better than talking about mental bile, but nothing beats somebody explaining why they don't share your hobby. Hint: they don't want to. Otherwise they may offer you a hobby of theirs or a series of UMMs or UHHs followed by a prompt "not really" and that's when you call it a day. Feel free to keep trying but personally I don't find the need to suffer from there on.

Most of this should appear as common sense, I imagine, but I wanted to ensure it was mapped enough as a beginner's guide to shit talk. ymmv
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.