[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone here work in hospice? I have terminal cancer and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6
File: what-is-cancer.jpg (14 KB, 350x281) Image search: [Google]
what-is-cancer.jpg
14 KB, 350x281
Does anyone here work in hospice? I have terminal cancer and I can't stop worrying about my final months where I can't walk and will likely vomit all my foods and poop myself.

I heard hospice removes liquids and food if you can't tolerate them but you will be on morphine. Is the pain great for this since you basically starve to death?
>>
Holy fuck anon. Shit sucks.

If I was in your situation, I'd just ask them to literally drug me out of mind.
>>
I've heard morphine kind of separates you from the pain so its like you still feel it but your separate from it.
>>
>>17286696

That's the plan. No cpr, tubes, resuscitation and what not. I'm deathly afraid of the pain.

>>17286701

Ah then it's fine then. I guess the onlookers will be more scared and shocked than me being dozed not really feeling much of anything.
>>
This is really sad, I'm really sorry

If I was in your situation, I'd probably suicide before things got too far. Being able to do it on my terms, conscious, without pain and hopefully after a healthy interaction with loved ones seems much better to me.
>>
Just wanted to give you a quick reply; if you're throwing up the food due to gastroparesis or related, assuming it can be managed, what'll usually happen is that they'll put you on a liquid diet or offer to put a tube down your throat after you're done eating. I'm also aware that there's a surgery to get a bypass where a tube is in your side to accomplish the same thing (no vomiting). You might want to look into getting put up in a hospice home/facility if you don't have a caretaker available to assist you. There are free volunteer-based facilities out there. These places vary from pretty neat-o to shit-tier new-hire hellhole. Standard stuff, really. Main benefit is just people tucking you in at night and giving you drugs on schedule. Don't expect quality meals.

One thing a family member of mine had constantly on arrival to one of these facilities was morphine even though they didn't need it (as in not actively feeling any pain). Wasn't even there 2 hours before I showed up to him in a daze. Day before he was playing Titans Quest on his laptop, next day was mindlessly watching Trump making a speech on fox news. Still cognizant enough to have a conversation though.

Good luck. I don't envy you, but no pity either.

Experience: Multiple family members with pancreatic cancer.
>>
>>17286762

Family is catholic that would make them extremely broken. I am as well so I'll tough it out like everyone else before me and opt for hospice when I can't handle the pain

>>17286781

Can I refuse tubes if I can't keep food down and only take morphine?

Not interested in tube feedings prolonging my death
>>
>>17286860
Yeah, tube-guy was a huge dick and would flipflop between tube and no tube all on his whim. It was only there for comfort. If you wanna hurl into trash cans they'll just try and persuade you to hit that liquid diet. If you go into one of these facilities I recommend you speak up about what you want. Adamantly speak up.

If you want to have a sandwich for lunch and they have the means of giving you the sandwich, tell them you want your meatbread fiesta. Don't let them bully you into making their job easier.

If you'd rather starve to death, however, I hope you seek counseling just to talk it out with someone. If nothing else you can assure yourself that you're of sound mind and the other party is moronic. If you meant you just don't want tubes as mentioned before, then yeah no problem just tell them to fuck off they won't care. Trash bags over bringing in a pump every meal time? Easy choice. Just make sure they actually clean up and bring new bag/bucket/whatever else they got. Tube-guy had some kind of washbin to toss in, was 2 inches deep.

Absolutely laughable.
>>
I wasn't in agony or anything but morphine feels pretty fantastic
>>
Op, I'm not going to act like I know what you are going through. What do I even say?

Though, can you share with me if your diet was bad? I'm honestly extremely terrified of being diagnosed with a terminal disease or condition. My father has very bad schizophrenia and is in a facility that drugs him to help with his psychosis.
In fact, a lot of people in my family have health issues.

It sounds like I'm being insensitive and like I'm dehumanizing you but that's not my intention whatsoever. I mean, honestly, fuck.
>>
>>17287166
Tube-guy poster here, all of my family members either had a huge smoking/drinking problem and had tons of sweets and meat heavy diets. All died of pancreatic cancer except one who had lung cancer. "Risky genes", they said. Not direct cause. I wouldn't worry about it, it's just more of that "too much of anything" dogshit.
>>
>>17287166

Doesnt bother me

My diet was bingeful. Sort of. Ate healthy dinners mixed with tons and tons of salt. Avoid salt in foods as much as you can. Two large bags of Doritos in a night, 2 entire domino pizza pies every two weeks one at night one for breakfast. My weight was 200 lbs 6'1. But when I ate junk food every few weeks I went at it extremely hard. Tubs of ice cream too. I wasn't morbidly obese but shoving that much junk food in one day eventually took its toll on my guts. My family doesn't have a history of this cancer.

Either way I'm 25 so I least at I have the comfort of my parents as selfish as that sounds
>>
>>17286689
Dying from starving to death is a really awful way to go OP and I don't recommend that unless you're brain dead. Do you have a living will or directive that your family will adhere to? Depending on where you live, their wishes can legally override yours, so you should try to find a family member who will advocate for your wishes (like a DNR). You can directly request palliative sedation during the last days/hours of your life. If you are sedated, however, you can't stop your family from intubating you, which will extend your life.

I'm sorry you have terminal cancer, OP. I wish you lived in a place that had legal euthanasia.
>>
>>17286893

Now I'm just wondering if starving on morphine hurts. Really no point in a tube when you're basically feeding cancer
>>
>>17287199

but the morphine should negate the starving pain right? I really don't want a tube in me
>>
>>17287200
He never complained. Was bored, though. Also bedsores.
>>
>>17287204
You can be on IV sedatives, so you'd have a needle then be asleep. It depends how long it takes you to die, but they can't give you unlimited morphine or other analgesics or it is euthanasia, and if it isn't sufficient to mask the pain or you become desensitized you would eventually feel pain. Have you ever had surgery? You aren't pain free the entire time, there are periods while you're waiting for the next dose and it is very painful.

You can talk to your physician about this too. Ask if there is a palliative care or hospice person you can consult and they'll have details and will know your local laws. End of life is a tricky thing, legally.
>>
>>17287190
I'm the same age as you? Holy shit...
>>
>>17287232
>but they can't give you unlimited morphine

Welp

Guess this isn't gonna be a clean death. I really don't want to ask them to basically kill me with it. Just leave me on it till the eventual death.
>>
>>17286689
I worked in a hospice.
Please try and step away from fear as much as you can I know it's not completely possible to remove it but try and not let it run your entire thoughts.

Have you got everything sorted regarding finances etc? That will help with fear. Try and be proactive while you still can so you aren't debilitated and worrying about "loose ends"

Dying of a terminal illness is a progress. Depending on your diagnosis will predict your pain. But know that there are various medications that can be used and our main goal as Doctors and nurses is to keep you pain free and comfortable. Coming to the end you will most likely have subcutaneous medications delivered through a pump which regulates over 24 hours. In most circumstances you will have not only pain relief on board but also a relaxant medication.

It is 100% natural to cease foods and fluids in the end, this will not cause you extreme hunger or thirst, this is simply a natural process that releases endorphins. You will most likely have a dry mouth but we use saliva replacement gels and apply them 1-2 hourly depending on how dry your mucus is. I can't stress enough about starving or dehydrating to death, this is a natural process, your body recognises it no longer needs this, hence no hunger or thirst thus release of endorphins that help with the entire process.

Lastly you and your family need to get as many resources as possible so you can gain the knowledge and insight into Palliative care. With more knowledge you will find the process all the less confusing and scary.

Good luck.. Please know you are in my thoughts.
>>
>>17287268
It's illegal to hasten death, unfortunately, in most places in the world. But sedation is probably not illegal. Ask your physician about your options, my friend.
>>
>>17287232
Yeah what this guy said. Don't be disillusioned, tube guy starved it out for 5 months, 3 of those months were constant throwing up every day because he wanted to stuff his face. Last 2 months the guy lost over 80lbs after he tried a controlled diet, I don't remember the exact amount unfortunately because I didn't care about that at the time. It was over 80 when he left the hospital to the hospice facility, spent his last month+ there.

Majority of the time he was sleeping when I or someone else went to visit each day/spend the night. Otherwise he was watching tv. He was roughly 200-240lbs though when it all started, I believe. He had other things going on.

I guess that might sound horrifying, but as long as you don't eat all the time you'll be better off. Though I don't know what all you have, either, it may not matter what you eat. But, he died in his sleep with his siblings there, nurses recognized him getting worse and gave out a 24hr notice. Going to emphasize that he slept for 15+ hours each day in his worst condition, and was given morphine every 6-8 hours, to my knowledge. As hospice anon mentioned, don't let the fear of it all get a hold of you.
>>
>>17287284
>>17287306

>Have you got everything sorted regarding finances etc? That will help with fear

I'm a worthless NEET with great parents. I can never repay them for not dumping me on the streets. This is the only thing that hurts. In the end I just gave them more problems.

But thanks for the comfort info. Controlling my fear will be necessary. When it happens it happens
>>
>>17287563
Don't forget to ask them to burn your computer. No questions.

But try not to beat yourself up over it, unless you actively treated them like shit. They cared just enough, as you said, and that plainly says a lot. No need to look deeper.
>>
MAPS does treatment for exactly that
>>
I gave $250 to some cancer research today since it's payday

Let's all do our bit guys
>>
My dad was on hospice. He had no choice but go with a feeding tube that went directly through his stomach. He was on a liquid diet for a year before he pasted. He was in extreme pain his last year but he was on all sorts of pain killers that we had to crush up and mix with water. My siblings, his wife, and i were his main care givers so we fed him and gave him his prescriptions. Some days were better then others. When he lost his strength is when it had gotten really bad. He also was unable to verbally communicate his last year so he had to write everything down so you can imagine how hard it was for him his last few months.

I really have no advice other than try to stay positive. My dad was good at keeping positive and he still had his sense of humor till the end.
>>
tfw we're all going to fucking die
>>
>>17288780
So donate to health care research to make that day come a little later
>>
>>17288788
I already work in healthcare but it doesn't help me confront death.

I think this will always be a problem for me.
>>
>>17288788

Man they likely have the funds but that stuff will take time

Cancer isn't even a disease since it's an embedded error in your dna

Only way to likely beat it is a machine that scans the body on a cellular level and sends nano machines to kill anything not logged as a healthy human cell which the tech isn't there for

I meant what do we have so far? Cat scans which emit small radiation and give you a broad view of the body where tumors can be missed? Chemo which fries your body in a desperate attempt to purge areas thought to have tumor spread? Cutting the tumor out when it could have metastasized but is too small to detect?

Better than nothing I suppose since we in 100 years things will be improved but right now it's just not there

Not to mention big pharm enjoys their monopoly on ineffective treatments that gives people hope
>>
What do old people usually die of? Organ failure in general?
>>
>>17288615

MAPS?
>>
File: 1458188351700.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1458188351700.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1200
Reminder that most cancer, even fatal cancer can be cured with essential oils, detoxing, juicing, chiropractic therapy and breathing meditation.

The drug companies control everything, and force doctors to pump you full of medications, chemicals and radiations that treat the symptoms of cancer while making the cause of cancer worse, and giving you hundreds of other ailments to die from.

Watch these videos

https://www.google.com/?client=opera#q=truth+about+cancer&safe=off&tbm=vid

Final reminder that cancer feeds off sugar, and literally the only way to stop is is to not eat sugar, or nothing else will word.
>>
>>17289756
Good work exposing the Illuminati's plot, my fellow luminary.

*Tips fedora*
>>
File: 000888.png (67 KB, 255x199) Image search: [Google]
000888.png
67 KB, 255x199
>>17289764
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjndKuow_ts
>>
just kill yourself stupid
>>
>>17289756
yeah, steve jobs is the best example for it...
>>
>>17289801
He didn't actually die until he started getting professional treatment
>>
>>17289801
I doubt Steve Jobs did the full anti-cancer lifestyle. Probably just tried some alternative therapies while everything else stayed the same.
>>
If you have cancer and start having a heart attack, can't breathe due to respiratory issue etc etc, can they just let you die or are they forced to try to save you?
>>
>>17290715
You can sign a DNR.
>>
>>17288799
I don't understand why we don't all try to combat death more proactively instead of just being passive about it

What can we lose by trying? A few less stupid trinkets
>>
>>17289621
What if I told you that the human body has that ability built-in? Would you be willing to risk your life to beat your cancer?

If you're willing to be a guinea pig for my hypothesis, I will assist you through the process and provide funding as needed. This process does not require you to ingest anything or use any medications. I will not guarantee this will work but there's plenty of science to back up my ideas.

If you're interested I will drop an email address and we can discuss it.
>>
I'm so sorry to hear OP. Do you have a bucketlist? If you don't mind me asking, how did it all start (symptoms, diagnosis etc), what was the process of finding out you have terminal cancer?

>>17289621
>Only way to likely beat it is a machine that scans the body on a cellular level and sends nano machines to kill anything not logged as a healthy human cell which the tech isn't there for
Your bodies immune system does this, as do checkpoints throughout the cell cycle (where cells divide). I guess nanobots are a good idea, another system to keep cell division in check, and to do the work of mutated oncogenes and tumor suppressor genes.
>>
>>17290808

I'm not a science guy but when the body lets a tumor grow, it's clearly not efficient enough to deal with it
>>
>>17286689

you get to be blazed on morphine if need be

and you dont starve to death, you just sleep more and more, until you are asleep for days on end, and then your breathing gets shorter and shorter, and you're not aware of it, because you're unconscious, it's quite painless and a general let down if you're expecting some dramatic final moments
>>
>>17291972

Morphine just makes soft and visceral pain go

It doesn't get rid of bone, nerves or gut pain
>>
>>17286701
>>17286708
yes, that's a good way to describe the effects of morphine. You feel the pain, but it is almost like you aren't the person feeling the pain.
>>
>>17292154

How does that work? Shouldn't the pain be numbed
>>
I'm sorry anon.

Please ghostpost from the other side.
>>
I don't fell sad about you anon.
I hope you had a good life, but that doesn't mean you have to have a shit afterlife.
Fucking have at 'em, cunt.
Make the last mortal moments count.
Kick ass, anon.
>>
There's always been something odd about cancer and the way we view it. You can suffer unpleasantly for a while in ignorance of what ails you. Then the C word rolls from the doctors lips and sounds the death knell for the body, quickly wasting away to a quick death.

Perhaps if people were to take a more defiant view of cancer, to realise they are in charge of their own bodies and mechanisms..

I should imagine people would surprise themselves.
>>
OP, this is a hard one... When my husband was on his death bed I told his doctor that I wished they could assist in euthanasia. Since we're in Minnesota that's not legal, but he spoke privately and said the plan was to give him just enough morphine to suppress his breathing.

Whatever your plan is, make sure you have someone to speak on your behalf as your legal advocate, preferably your next of kin. Make sure you get your wishes down in writing, as well. And take off all financial issues when you can.

I hope you find peace, friend.
>>
>>17293696
That's amazing that he did that for you. He could lose everything.

True compassion. Makes me want to cry. Right here on 4chan. Sorry for your loss.
>>
>>17291945
Tumors develop mostly due to mutations is the aforementioned genes which result in unregulated cell growth, division and differentiation
>>
File: 1363806285026.png (58 KB, 299x370) Image search: [Google]
1363806285026.png
58 KB, 299x370
This kind of shit always makes me really uncomfortable. The idea of sitting around and waiting to keel over while you're blasted on opiates. I'd rather drive off a cliff the day after they told me and get it over with.
>>
How long do you have op?
>>
>>17288780
>tfw none of us consented to being born
>>
>>17288799
No sense getting bent out of shape over a fate thats impossible to change.

Personally I welcome it. I already spent 13 billion years not existing, that's a whole lot of experience.
>>
At some point OP, you're going to stop eating because your body doesn't want to eat. Your body failing due to starvation isn't going to be that big a deal.

Morphine can help a lot with pain management, but it's possible (and not unlikely) that you can still be in significant pain. Sorry man.
>>
File: cumming.jpg (1 MB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
cumming.jpg
1 MB, 5000x5000
OP here. You guys are easy as fuck to bait.

Thanks for the (you)s
>>
OP what type of cancer?
>>
>>17294005
This. Sounds fucking terrible man.
>>
Fresh raw organic food cures cancer.

>Look up the Gerson institute.

My father had brain cancer. We lost him from a heart attack caused by the pills he was perscribed.

Raw food cures cancer, juicing fresh organic veggies and fruit cures cancer bottom line.

Look it up, save yourself.

Organic or die OP. God bless.
>>
File: 200px-HappyMerchant.gif (15 KB, 200x225) Image search: [Google]
200px-HappyMerchant.gif
15 KB, 200x225
>>17294888
Yes good goy, go buy organic food.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.