[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Social/economic class in America
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (138 KB, 595x335) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
138 KB, 595x335
What is my class? Middle? Upper middle? Lower middle?

>Dad is software engineer
>mom was a high school science teacher, but currently doesn't work. She was also a dentist for a few years before I was born.

>sister just graduated uni with a BA BA, does sales.
>>
Oh, and I have an AAS.
>>
>>17286373
sounds like upper middle - one spouse making alot of $$$ - its easier to tell by the neighborhood you live in, bigger house higher class
>>
>>17286373
what is the annual household income? Needs to be in the $350k range for upper middle in the US
>>
>>17286401
What the hell are you smoking? Upper middle class starts at $100k (does vary by location)
>>
>>17286411

As far as I know, the suburbs of Missouri are like 300k for upper middle.
>>
>>17286420
>>17286420
>tfw in Missouri
>Earns only 18K

FML
>>
4 bedroom house, 2 car garage, one of the nicer suburbs.

We each drive boring cars. Dad has a Civic.

Household income is probably 150k, but not sure exactly. I think the most Dad made in a year was 200k.

We never travel overseas as a family, never do outdoor sports, and rarely go to pro sports games.
>>
>>17286420
>Income varies considerably from near the national median to well in excess of US$100,000.[2][4]

Wiki
>>
>>17286401
350k is upper class. Upper middle class is just something rich people call themselves to make themselves feel more relatable and less intimidating to the average Joe.
>>
depends on your income, not your occupation lol.
Also depends on your area, I live by NYC so it's a bit harder. Based on this we are top 2-4%. I have a few friends who have parents that make 500k and one of my oldest child hood friends father made 1.5M last year.
http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2016/03/02/what-percent-are-you-2/
>>
>>17286492
nope, upper class doesn't kick in till you have a household annual income above near 1 million. I moved into a neighborhood and my home was $800k and I'm the poor upper middle guy. You are upper middle if you have 1million - 2million in assets and there is a fucking huge difference in 1-2 million and someone with 5-10 million in assets. My neighbor down the street has 4 homes scattered throughout the US, none smaller than 4000 square feet.
>>
>>17286441
sounds like upper middle to me, depending on where you live

also, if your neighborhood is one of the big ones in the area, you know whats around. if not, IDK take a few hours and drive through some neighborhoods in the area, just to see how they rank. if yours ranks high, that would be the "upper" part
>>
Does it make a big difference if my dad has always been a developer and never went into management?
>>
I'd say it mostly depends on your combined family income, and also how many siblings and/or dependents the breadwinners have.

My father was an engineer, mother was a social worker. Both had college educations, and made a decent living for the region. We lived in the suburbs, but I have 5 brothers and sisters, one of them has kids and needed to be supported for a while. There's also grandparents that need help when they get old.

Even if your combined family income is considered statistically high, when you divide it up I feel like I didn't have much, but lots of people would still consider me at least middle class, I don't know if it's upper or lower. Now that I'm an adult I'm barely above the poverty line and feel like I've never had really nice things. But there are always people in worse shape.
>>
If you don't have a job and/or do not live independently of your family, you have no class.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.