[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Grandma just had a stroke. Need advice.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 640x360
My grandma just had a stroke. She is 70 years old. Last time I talked to her a couple days ago she was fine. This morning when the ambulance came, she was able to walk with the paramedics' help and she was able to move (no paralysis from what I could tell). She did say a few words clearly as well, but she just had this blank stare on her fave. I'm scared right now. Can anybody tell me what to expect and if she will recover?
>>
>>17286362
walking is a great sign, so prob not that serious

maybe meds for blood, then every day gets better hopefully, but with what you said, i would feel ok
>>
with strokes there is what's called the golden hour, time is brain lost so if the medics arrived early enough they would have been able to administer medications to stabilize her condition and take her to a hospital where she would be treated further. If this was all done within an hour the effects of the stroke can be mostly reversed.

Full left sided paralysis, aphasia, and dementia usually only happen when someone didn't get treatment within that timeframe.
>>
The fact that she can walk and talk is a fantastic sign. My grandmother had a stroke last year and while they acted quickly and got medical attention, she can only do minimal stuff with her right arm, needs the help of a walking frame to walk, and can't talk properly. As far as someone who has suffered a stroke goes, your grandmother is probably in the top 1%, if not higher.
>>
and just to expand on that I work in EMS and a few months ago I recall being sent to a job where a guy in 70's who was a real patriarch type got very sick the previous night and when his son tried to call an ambulance he told him not to because he wanted to die in his own home. Except...he didn't die. It was now like 1 in the afternoon the next day and it turned out he'd had a stroke and was just now getting treatment for it. Prognosis poor.
>>
>>17286418
its also possible that it was just a TIA and not a full blown CVA
>>
>>17286429
Either way, OP has little to worry about. She'll be fine, OP.
>>
Thanks for the advice, guys. I have have high hopes that she'll get better.
>>
>>17286362
Walking is a great sign. I feel for you, my grandma had a stroke a few years ago. Only they didn't find her until too long had passed. When she was in the hospital she wasn't talking or moving for a while. She never walked again. Walking so soon is an amazing sign. The doctors said to us it was an awful sign that she was not doing anything in the first couple of days, that's what put her in the danger category. So the fact that your grandma is walking and talking clearly is a good sign.

My mom thinks my grandma would've maybe made it if the staff had been better, try to make sure your grandma has good care. Hospital staff can make a huge difference.

I work with the elderly and know many people who have had a stroke or even multiple strokes, people who had strokes decades ago, who are still fine. They're walking around and talking, and are self-sufficient. Hold on to hope, I hope your grandma gets better. Push for care for her and try to visit and take care of her.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.