[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I get more talkative
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1449251828179.png (251 KB, 623x465) Image search: [Google]
1449251828179.png
251 KB, 623x465
I really try to expand conversations, but everytime I do I get an answer of which I can't respond to, resulting in the usual silence.
Anything I can do about it (except speaking to more people, I tried and miserably failed)?
>>
>>17286166
At 26, I haven't been able to. Kinda stems from the fact that I've been doing the bare minimum i.e. work, eat, sleep & repeat. Tends to leave you with not much to say.
>>
>>17286166
You're still in the mindset that people can change.

If you're 21 or older and you're still not talkative: you won't ever be.
>>
>>17286242
People can still improve. I'm 23 and much less of a moron socially than I was at 21. What changed is I got a job that forces me to interact with people a lot. It made me a lot better at conversation. People over 21 can still improve.
>>
>>17286252

This. Had social anxiety when I was in my teens, now I teach high school kids and don't give a fuck (kids say they don't give me trouble because I am merciless in my roasting). You get really good at conversation when your well being depends on it.

Also, read A LOT. Either popular books or current events so you can have more to talk about. The most basic bitches can only talk about people (gossip magazines), moderate peopke talk about events (news papers). The best conversations are about ideas and philosophy, but it takes a long time to get on that level these days because you don't know if you'll run into an MRA or Tumblrista who will annoy you to death.
>>
>>17286242
I already did in school, but since I'm currently in IT surrounded by introverts, I really adapted to them.
>>
>>17286236
Kinda living this Style, really seems to hurt communication skills
>>
>>17286273
THIS
>>
>>17286273
Great advice, thanks!
>>
>>17286242
I always thought the cut off age was 18. I really struggled with meeting new people and making small talk. Putting yourself in uncomfortable environments and setting goals to yourself helps. For example if you go a gig make a goal of talking to at least two new people, you don't have to make friends just try small talk and it will build your confidence. Also I was really shy around girls especially so talking to new girls was something I set a goal, I made it a new girl once a week, and I mean it worked I ended up dating people from this method. When I was 18 I worked in a quiet environment so small talk wasn't really a part of the job, but then I worked in a a bar and got better at it. I still struggle with small talk, I wouldn't start it unless booze was involved, but now when people start talking to me I don't autistically go "Haha yeah" and then stay silent. There isn't really a cut off age for self improvement
>>
>>17286428

Your body goes through major hormonal and social/cultural overhaul every 7 years or so. For example: 7 years old (learning language), 14 years old (puberty), 21 years old (young adulthood and college), 28 years old (career and starting families), etc.
>>
>>17286166
Relax. Remember that the purpose of small talk is at least as much the simple fact of chatting as it is the subject being discussed.

Monkeys and apes sit around grooming each other, removing fleas and ticks from their fur - but monkey-watcchers have spotted that thee real point is to have an excuse to sit together in friendship.

People make small talk for the same reason - to signal friendship and enjoy each other's company. Nobody is really all that interested in the gossip or sports news or TV shows being talked about.

So if you run out of things to say, a simple "Yeah" or "You're right" or even, if there's been a lull in the conversation, a change of subject is all the contribution that is really expected of you.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.