[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Programming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: 1459909014130.png (1 MB, 1000x1400) Image search: [Google]
1459909014130.png
1 MB, 1000x1400
What are some good resources to start to learn programming? Also what languages are good for beginners?
>>
File: 1463578731372.png (1010 KB, 2000x2210) Image search: [Google]
1463578731372.png
1010 KB, 2000x2210
I'm not programmin myself but I heard that there is a lot of sites that can help you. Best language for begginers seems to be Python.
>>
>>17284755
C is the way to go for newbies
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/C_Programming
>>
C is a solid choice, but Python isn't bad either. If you're more interested in web programming, I'd jump straight into Java or Javascript though. I suggest you check out Codeacademy, they offer free, accessible tutorials.
>>
>>17285435
I can't believe they only put c once.
>>
>>17285435
This chart is fucking retarded and I wish people would stop spreading it around.

>Best language for begginers seems to be Python.
Python is flooded with bad practices that don't translate into other languages, and is also filled with fucking awful runtime hacks to make it behave in an OOP fashion.

OP: This is the only thing you need to learn
https://hassanolity.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/the_c_programming_language_2.pdf

If you want you can try learning something easier to digest like Java or C# first but if you start with C then you'll be able to transition to virtually any other language.
>>
>>17285435
>I want to work for big tech companies
>Facebook, Google
>Python
>I just want money
>Java
>I prefer to learn things
>The easy way, the best way
>Python
>Python python python python
>Pyyyttthoooon
SOMETHING SEEMS A LITTLE BIASED ABOUT THIS BUT IM NOT SURE WHAT
>>
>>17284755
I would suggest Python. Depends on what you want to do really.
If you want to do more low level stuff and are patient go for C, webdev -> JS.
And learn to Google, seriously.
>>
Beginner programmer here. A good language recommended to me was Python. So far it feels quite intuitive and easy to learn. So, I recommend Python.
>>
>>17284755
search on youtube for cs50 2015 (harvard's computer science introduction lectures)
>>
Python is a pretty good language
>>
I don't even know why people recommend C that much. It is a good and very effective language but there not a lot of actual programs that need this sort of efficiency.
>>
>>17284755
don't just start programming. think of a little program you'd want to code (just for yourself bc you'd think it'd be a cool program) and then go from there. will that program be a mobile app? will it run in a browser? etc.
that's really the best way to go about it
>>
Depends on what you want to do OP.

Beginner here myself. Taught myself T-SQL and VBA over the course of a few months to help with my MI and dashboard reports in work.

Want to become a Database Admin within 10 years but i have long way to go.

I fucking hate VBA.
>>
>>17285435

Are those salaries only in the valley?
>>
>>17285686

You do need it with OSs, 3D engines, and other places. Also in microcontrollers. The main thing though is that if your problem needs C, almost nothing else will work at all. Perhaps Fortran will. Many other languages can be used interchangably, it may not be desirable, but it will work in a pinch. Not if you need C.
>>
I'd start with C++, simpler than C but still advanced enough that you're learning something.
>>
>>17285756
Don't listen to this guy, OP. You're better off learning C first, then switching to C++.
>>
>>17285768
For me, learning C++ first was better. C++ has easier libraries to use and enables you to do much more as a beginner.
>>
>>17285917
C++ has more restrictions on interactions between classes that you have to work around. The libraries are not that easy, they're actually a bit of a hassle to work with, not to mention that when you're a beginner, you're learning the basics, you don't need advanced libraries. Once you have the basics under your belt, you can switch over C++ and start fucking around with objects.
>>
>>17285756
>c++ is easier than c
>taking c and cramming in oop makes it easier to understand
>>
File: 1466272064224.jpg (352 KB, 1449x1811) Image search: [Google]
1466272064224.jpg
352 KB, 1449x1811
https://bento.io
this site is a repository of learning resources, registration is free and the listed material is of good quality and useful.

I think the best to begin is C++, definitely not easy but you will have a solid base of OOP programming, which is essential these days. Java is easier to learn but is more abstract and you could miss the big picture, being more far away from what is really happening inside the box.

JavaScript no, absolutely not the first language to learn because it looks easy but it has weird behavior that require programming experience yo be understood and circumvented.

I began with C++, you will sweat a little but
>>
Python is utter crap (terrible syntax, terrible OOP, Everything is "different" because it's basically a hipster language). However C/C++ is not good for beginners either (it's the hardest, least intuitive, useless error messages, and requires direct memory management that'll frustrate users for hours).

Java is best for beginners due to its simple syntax, its verbosity, its excellent error message and IDEs to help you work through them, and automated memory management.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.