[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Continuing Education vs Trade/Technical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: NeilFace.png (1 MB, 1902x1014) Image search: [Google]
NeilFace.png
1 MB, 1902x1014
I recently got my Associates and now I am continuing on with my education.

The problem is, I don't qualify for a whole lot of programs for higher education. The one I'm currently in requires a few CS classes and for the life of my I don't understand the subject matter. I started my first class of the degree this summer and I'm currently getting fucked by an intro class.

My parents are paying for my school and I told them that maybe this isn't the right path for me. I suggested maybe a technical program or learning a trade may be a little more realistic while still giving me a promising career.

Instead they said I should try to switch degrees to something like communication or other humanities degree. I keep trying to tell them that those degrees are useless and no one will take those seriously, but they seem to think that all I need is a piece of paper that says bachelors on it no matter what its for.

Would pursuing a trade be a smart option? Do I go to a trade school? Do I start as a journeyman (how does that work?)?

Anyone who works in a trade feel free to enlighten me why I should or shouldn't do this.
>>
only 3 good choices

EE
Electrician -> EE
Electrician -> Master Electrician
>>
>>17283342
What about HVAC, is that a meme?
>>
>>17283342
I'll look into it. Acquaintence from high school is an electricians journeyman right now.
>>
[spoiler]>[/spoiler]
>>
>>17283286
Definitely do not get a humanities degree. I got one in History and it is entirely worthless. I did not find any work because of that degree.

I can't speak to the best trade to pursue but it is definitely a better route then getting a humanities degree.
>>
File: 1466410627309.jpg (25 KB, 216x395) Image search: [Google]
1466410627309.jpg
25 KB, 216x395
>>17283286
Your parents probably still believe on the stereotypes about blue collar/white collar.

If you like to work and don't mind getting dirty then the trades are better imo. You may decide to go and graduate from a 4 year university just to find out there are hardly any jobs in that field. We will always need plumbers, electricians, construction workers, etc.
>>
>>17283652
The reasoning behind their logic Is that my father works as a GM and hires lots of people. He says a lot of the inside sales reps making around 20-25hr require a minimum of a bachelors regardless of the field. Just a,bachelor's, and says other jobs are likely the same.

I've worked a couple of jobs and the one I hated least was sweating my ass off in a greasy machine shop.
>>
File: image.png (616 KB, 697x722) Image search: [Google]
image.png
616 KB, 697x722
>>17283286

If you go for a trade you will not start out as a journeyman, you have to put some years in to reach that status.

In California you have to get into an apprenticeship program and it usually takes 4-5 years to complete before reaching journeyman level. I'm an HVAC service technician and currently a 2nd year apprentice at the local union, I make $36/hr. My boss who is a Jman makes closer to $75/hr.

They are hurting real bad for good service technicians so it's a good career choice. Good money, although I do live in Silicon Valley so the pay scale is probably different where you live. I currently work at the apple campuses in Cupertino and although techies get paid well here, I'm not stuck in a fucking office all day and female techies flirt with me everyday because I'm not another nerd they work with.

Cons: physically demanding

Work can be complex and time consuming

Physically hard work

I was up on the roofs of a few buildings all day today, it was 93 degrees outside.

But if you like variety, money, and looking like a real man instead of Stephen hawking get yourself into a trade my man.
>>
>>17283865
I'm in Houston so I'm sure there is plenty of work available. That sounds fine with me
>>
>>17283634
Thanks for the tip, History is one of the few subjects I actually enjoy but I honestly don't see what a degree in it would get you. Unless you wanted to be a teacher.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.