[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PTSD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (131 KB, 620x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
131 KB, 620x500
Anyone with PTSD here? How do you cope? Does it get better? Do relationships work or are they even possible?
>>
Shut up.
>>
>>17283088
Thanks for the bump I guess.
>>
My friend started therapy months ago and the progress is really slow. She dropped out of highschool. Her health is bad. She doesn't seem to be coping.

She has an amazing relationship with her boyfriend though, even though she was raped for years by her cousin. So it definitely can work.
>>
>>17283113
>high school
I meant university.
>>
>>17283113
Progress for me is slow as well. I don't have much energy for anything and even if I do, the anxiety prevents me from doing many things. I also dropped out of university. I barely finished school, it took me everything, university was just to much. I have no idea how to do this.

How did she get a boyfriend? After being raped, wasn't she scared?
>>
>>17283078
Not me, but my Son. It probably depends on what gave you the PTSD. For my Son, it just took a couple of years of very regular non-exciting living. PTSD is mostly being hyper-aware of your surroundings. You've got to be in a safe place long enough to relax and not pay so much attention.
>>
>>17283177
Father was verbally and physically abusive, what finally fucked me up was his attempt to strangle me. I actually have an appartment now, but still go back on weekends. I already noticed how much better I am if I'm in my flat.
>>
A few people I know skydive. Good close knit group of people. Cured my depression with it.
>>
I find stuffing my ass with dicks works great
>>
No it doesnt get better, im waiting for the day i break down hard enough to finally drive off the bridge a short way up the mountain here.
>>
>>17283078
>How do you cope?
I'll never unsee the piles of bodies with people barely alive hiding in them for days, the smell was haunting.
>>
Stop labeling yourself as defective, and you'll stop viewing the world through a defective lense.
>>
>>17284332
How did you see that?
>>
>>17284360
>ignore your illness
>thar will cute you instead of making it worse

Fuck off.
>>
>>17284411
*Cure
>>
File: 1465696590395.jpg (442 KB, 800x818) Image search: [Google]
1465696590395.jpg
442 KB, 800x818
>>17284411
Yep, i totally said ignore, not restructure your thinking. By the way you should lash out at people giving genuine advice when you ask for it. Only consider information that confirms your worldview and helps build your case. Hope I didn't trigger you kiddo :^)
>>
>>17283132
No not at all! It's two completely different worlds to her. Love has nothing to do with violence and dominance. She was having one night stands as well. She really likes sex. What her cousin did to her wasn't sex.
>>
I'm 100% positive you can build a life with PTSD. You need to surround yourself with positive people. Work on self-love, meaning you cut yourself slack for every time you fuck something up because of your anxiety. Take on small projects. Maybe go volunteer? Skydiving is also a cool idea. Are you in therapy? Why do you keep going back to your dad?
>>
>>17284485
That's an odd perspective, but most likely a helpful one. Apparently she didn't lose her trust to people, I did though. I panic if people try touching me.
>>
>>17284497
It's not because one person violated your trust, that all people will do the same. This is fundamental.
>>
>>17284496
Yes, I'm in therapy, it does actually help me, but sometimes the progress stops or it even gets worse again, which discourages me. But if I think about it, it's helpful overall.
I really don't like falling, whether it's in rollercoasters or anywhere else, it just gives me an adrenaline rush, which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. But I've started playing piano, so I guess that's something. I also cook for myself most of the time and am pretty good at it.
I go back because my family pays for my flat and therapy. I don't have a job because I'm sick all the time, so I have to play it nice, I can't just abandon them, although I would to. Some of my friends also live in the area, and while my relatives are toxic, my friends really helped me and I enjoy spending time with them.
>>
>>17284500
I am well aware of that in a logical way, bit I still haven't found a way to stop the reflexes making me anxious, distrusting or even hostile. It just comes natural to me.
>>
>>17284505
The idea of skydiving is that the adrenaline rush would help you regulate your anxiety. If you get in actual danger, your fight-or-flight reflex might calm down once you're back on the ground.

In general it's bad to avoid doing things solely because you might get anxious.
>>
Not sure if it will help OP, because circumstances might be a little bit different but...

It took a long while for me to get over my problems, and they still aren't completely gone now, but for the most part i'm completely fine. It's all about building a support network around yourself and constantly reminding yourself consciously that things are fine and ok. I used to not be able to go out places without going into a trance and being instantly hostile/aggressive to any threats around me, but eventually it got better.

Hope you get through this OP
>>
>>17283078
>>17284411
>illness

It's not an illness. It's just you being a faggot.

Unless you have been to war then you don't have PTSD. Man the fuck up
>>
>>17284713
Thanks mate.

You're right about the support network, it definitely helps out. But what can I do if I actually get treated poorly again, whatever the situation may be? I noticed that such things throw me back badly and ruin a fair amount of progress. Is there a way to withstand it better?
>>
>>17284780

Yes, stop being a faggot.
>>
>>17283078
My PTSD started when i was attacked by a group of fcking gypsies and stabbed. Barely survived it and now i am the most physically fit as i can be, most aware as i can be and i have a black belt in karate. It didnt cure my PTSD but it gave me a way to cope with the dangers of everyday life and not reliving the same shit again. YOU DONT CURE IT, YOU FIGHT IT (AND KILL GYPSIES, and whoever else attacks you)
The bad side is that i am still very on edge every time im not home, i usually have a knife with me for security but when i cant i just improvise and carry some sharp object i find anywhere. Relieves stress for me, being aware reduces chances of being stabbed again, or killed idk
>>
>>17284760
Sounds like you don't know anything about PTSD, or mental health in general. I suggest you read a fucking book.
>>
>>17284780
In them immortal words of Al Swearingen
>Pain don't end the world, or dispair, for fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead, 'till then you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back.
>>
>>17284898
Yeah, being stronger definitely helps. It happened when I was a child, so I couldn't do anything, but that situation has changed. The last time my old man became violent, I beat the shit out of him, he never tried attacking me ever since. Knowing to be capable to do this greatly helped me to feel more secure.

On the other hand I'm still on edge just like you described it and notice myself getting this adrenaline rush if there's trouble around me. Two weeks ago, some bloke in the subway was loudly insulting two teenagers and appeared to be quite aggressive. Although I was just a bystander, I immediatly sensed it was happening again, god knows what I would have done if he tried touching me.

>>17284947
I guess that'll have to do, that's what I used to do for quite some time now and I plan on doing.

Thanks to all the people giving advice, I appreciate it, it's reassuring.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.