[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The police suspect me of a local crime and told me to come in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: image.png (29 KB, 640x753) Image search: [Google]
image.png
29 KB, 640x753
The police suspect me of a local crime and told me to come in for an investigation. Someone told me I don't have to show up since I'm not actually arrested is that true
>>
>>17281286
AFAIK they can't force you, but why not go and clear your name?
>>
What is there to be gained from not showing up?

Also
>not browsing 4chan every waking hour to give yourself an alibi through isp records
>>
You don't have to show up, but

CALL A FUCKING LAWYER RIGHT GODDAMN NOW

TALK TO THEM ABOUT WHAT YOU SHOULD DO
>>
>>17281296
This..... really do this.

Depending on the country and state you're in, Police usually can't just order you to come in because they want to try and incriminate you.

My advice is do NOT go there without legal help. What you say may confirm something they suspect but for the wrong reason. Your legal aide will know what they can and can't ask.
>>
Depends on the crime.
Depends on the severity of the crime.
Depends if you actually did it or not.

If the police think you spray painted a giant penis on the highway and asked you to come into the police station when you know you would have obviously spray painted tits instead and had nothing to do with it, go clear your name.
>>
If you didn't do it, don't worry about it and tell them you don't want to be involved, you're too busy, tell them to come back with a warrant.

I was littering, my trash all over the place in this city ditch, receipts with my name, mail with my address, everything pointed to me.

All they did was give me a call, pretend they were intimidating me, and I just denied, denied, and denied. They didn't have shit, and it's been years and I've even littered again, and gotten more calls, but they don't have shit.

I tell them I take my trash to the curb, and whatever happens after that I have no idea about, there's no cameras out there, noone sees my vehicle and reports it as being out there to dump trash, and all they have is my trash somewhere it isn't supposed to me, and I have no idea how it gets there.
>>
If OJ can walk out of a court room after committing a double homicide, I think you can avoid the police for a crime you didn't commit.
>>
>>17281536
OJ was a celebrity--the rules everyone else has to follow never apply until there's a conviction, and even then they'd get preferential treatment more often than not.
>>
>>17281292
A better question would be what could you possibly gain by showing up? Nothing. Their job, if you show up, will be to do everything they can to incriminate you. They will try to bully a confession or a potentially incriminating statement out of you.

Politely decline and tell them you dont know anything. What is the crime anyway?
>>
>>17281291
>but why not go and clear your name?

The cops are not calling you in to clear your name. They're calling you in to trip you up and goad some information out if you

Get a lawyer, now
>>
>>17282059
This, don't EVER talk to police unless you have a lawyer present. There is nothing for you to gain.

I'm a cop BTW.
>>
>>17281532
Stop littering, faggot
>>
listen to this lecture right fucking now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7o9xYp7eE

In it a lawyer and a police chief lecture on why you should never talk to police. He goes through the ins and outs of it. Nothing good ever comes from giving police information.

But like everyone says, you NEED to consult a lawyer.
>>
>>17282291
one of the take aways, btw, is that whatever you say can be used against you, but NOT for you. If someone accuses you of something and you dispute it, the police can argue against you and then it's your word against the word of two others, which really damages your case. But if you ask a cop to back you up, the prosecutor will object to it as hearsay, and the judge will agree.

I'm not a lawyer, but the only thing that stops me from unequivocally telling you to not say anything is that if you refuse to give information, I wonder if there's some way the police could get you on obstruction of justice. But I REALLY doubt that applies here, especially if you're a suspect. This is a constitutional thing - see the 5th Amendment, which says you don't have to act as witness in a case against yourself. This amendment literally exists to avoid the type of authoritarian practices of governments like the Soviet Union, which pressured people to confess to crimes they didn't commit.

But again, SEE A LAWYER
>>
>>17281286

demand

a

lawyer

my

homie

even if you cant afford one, they have to give you one, unless you live in a third world hellhole or something
>>
>>17282026
[citation needed]
>>
>>17281286
suspection is reason enough to force someone into jail or break into your house. if you dont go in theyll break your door down and flashbang you. do you want that to happen?
>>
>>17281286
Fuck no don't talk to the police, even if you're innocent. There's literally nothing you can do to help yourself (what you say to the police will not be used in your defense), but you can give them plenty of ammunition to wrongfully convict you without even knowing it.

From now on you don't talk to the cops without a lawyer. They can't force you to go anywhere without arresting you, and they can only hold you for 48-72 hours without charging you.
>>
>>17282734

dONT TELL lies.
>>
>>17281532
>>17282073
This. Stop it, fag. How old are you? 12? Didn't you have any parents to rebel against in your puberty?
>>
NEVER NEVER NEVER talk to a cop without a lawyer

Any cop will tell you this. You just really have no idea how your seemingly benign words may incriminate yourself
>>
>>17282373
Only for felonies in America
>>
Decline.
They can't force you to do anything, especially without any actual evidence.

And yes, like others have said, they will try to get you to unintentionally incriminate yourself.

Another thing to point out is, how many true crime shows you watched where they say shit like 'Once you're a cop long enough, you know who's guilty just by looking at them. They always have this nervous look about them' and then it cuts to some poor nervous clown having accusations thrown at him in an interrogation (something that'd make anyone, innocent or guilty, nervous).

Essentially, cops are that guy who don't watch crime shows with anymore, because they're always going 'nah, I bet that guy did it. Actually, no, it was that guy. C'mon man, it was so that girl, they're tricking us making us think it's a man'. And they claim to have some gift if they eventually get one right.

The only issue is that cops tend to have type-A personality. They'll get petty and go after you harder if you stonewall them. So be polite, and just inform them that you don't feel comfortable coming in without having some kind of legal representation beforehand.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.