[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why do i look ok in the mirror but look like complete shit when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3
File: pretty.jpg (827 KB, 1280x1728) Image search: [Google]
pretty.jpg
827 KB, 1280x1728
why do i look ok in the mirror but look like complete shit when i take pictures of myself or when i get pictures taken, all these flaws start to stare at me right in the face and it makes me so insecure. am i taking bad pics or something? but even then i look horrible whenever a pic is taken of me. what do :(
>>
File: 18kxy5bbtul32jpg.jpg (54 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
18kxy5bbtul32jpg.jpg
54 KB, 800x450
>>17279502
There are several contributing factors that cause this effect and you're not alone. It could be due to the type of camera.

And there's also something called the Mere-exposure effect which causes people to become comfortable with the way we look at things. We're far more familiar with how we look in a mirror that when we see the reverse, i.e. in photos, we become uncomfortable.

Just about everyone thinks they look bad in photos, so don't worry too much about it.
>>
Similar problem here.
1) How good photographer is matters
2) My face is slightly asymmetrical and mirror image does look better. It is very obvious when i take phone selfies, think they are ok, and then they get flipped, become worse
>>
File: bda0e0b4b.jpg (55 KB, 570x186) Image search: [Google]
bda0e0b4b.jpg
55 KB, 570x186
>>17279515
Another example of how a camera makes a big difference.
>>
>>17279502
You know how you hate the sound of your own voice? Everybody does, it's cool. It's not actually that nasal, monotonous or unattractive, you're just unused to it, so it's extremely disorienting when you hear it.

Pictures of you are the same. You're used to seeing yourself from exactly one angle -- straight on (in the mirror), and moreover the image that you have stored in your brain is flipped, which does matter. You have a distorted impression of your own features. Seeing pictures of yourself is unsettling because of the dissonance between the image of you that you have in your head and how you actually look.

It's also possible that you're not particularly photogenic, some people just don't seem to photograph well, but I can guarantee you that it's a small effect compared the first one I mentioned. Even if you don't look quite as suave as you'd like in photographs, you don't look half as bad as you think you do. You're simply unable to evaluate yourself objectively.
>>
>>17279502
You are not David. That's your problem.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.