[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Supporting myself
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: CaKZZETUAAA_wAy.jpg (131 KB, 600x1067) Image search: [Google]
CaKZZETUAAA_wAy.jpg
131 KB, 600x1067
/adv/, I want nothing more than to move out.

I'm 18, and I just graduated from high school. I'm going to a local community college in the fall. I want nothing more but to move out. Long story short, my parents don't respect me, my privacy, my judgement or lifestyle at all. As of right now I work retail and make 300 a week, problem is I live on Long Island and that isn't anywhere near doable with these prices.

What are ways I could, as an 18 year old with a HS diploma, make enough money to live on my own?
>>
Look for roommates on craigslist. That's the only way m8
>>
>>17279128
I've definitely been on that, but I mean what are ways I can make more money than 300 a week?
>>
>>17279126
Gotta move away from Long Island if you want to live on your on own.

You MIGHT be able to wrangle a whole bunch of roommates and get a place in Brooklyn, but even that is going to be obnoxiously expensive. Expect to pay at least 600 a month for rent in a city that isn't as expensive as New York.

Save up as much money as you can (I recommend enough for 2 months of rent) and make the move to a different, less expensive city.
>>
>>17279132
What are your skills?
>>
>>17279132
Yes, get a second job, or start looking for a job that pays better.

If you want to put yourself into spiraling debt, but at least feel secure until you're done college, you can get student loans to help you pay for living expenses as well. It's a risk, but it's at least an option.

I would weigh that against how TRULY terrible living with your parents is. I remember feeling the same way at 18, and by the time I was 22 I wanted to move back in. Now I'm 25 and glad I didn't, but keep in mind that it's harder than it sounds balancing your budget, and you're probably going to be pretty poor for a couple years.

I didn't even have a car until last year because I couldn't afford it (although I do live in the most bikeable city in the US so it really didn't matter).
>>
Save up money, move to cheaper area, find roommates, prepare to live in virtually no form of comfort until you, well, do. 300 a week ain't cutting it in Long Island. Shame, because you'd be able to get your own room and maybe afford a car in most of the country if you budgeted.
>>
>>17279163
This is true. I live in TX and make about 1500/mo and can afford my own room and internet and shit. It's pretty nice
>>
>>17279140
I've worked a year and a half in retail, I can sell things or work with customers in some sort of support staff. I'm also good with computers, I'd say more so than the average kid in my generation.
>>
Honestly fuck New York.

This is why kids join the army
>>
>>17279268
Ain't nothing worse than growing up in an area you can't afford to live in on your own.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.