[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm 20 years old and I haven't gone to college or university.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 1466323332783.png (228 KB, 586x585) Image search: [Google]
1466323332783.png
228 KB, 586x585
I'm 20 years old and I haven't gone to college or university.

Graduated at 18, and started working as a file clerk for a government agency as a temp. Got laid off when the job was finished, starting working in a government call centre related to taxes making 55k a year, but got laid off there after tax season as well.

What should I do? I have 10k saved and I'm now on unemployment. Should I go to university or college? Should I try to use my resume with two government jobs to try to get a decent job instead?

Any advice or insight would help. As you can tell I'm young and don't have a lot of knowledge on this type of situation
>>
>>17278518
I'd try to leverage your existing experience into something profitable. You have record of making 55k so you can ask for that when applying to similar work.

If that doesn't pan out and your unemployment benefits are starting to expire, consider college.
>>
>>17278518
Try to get a job, preferably in an government office again, but set a time limit to how long you will search. If you get that job, consider taking college part time or in spare time so you can have a degree. If you don't get a job reasonably soon, consider what you want to study and see if you can take courses and work on campus or get job assistance/referrals while studying. I hope that this is helpful! GL!
>>
See if you can get government grants and go to school for free. It's called FAFSA. The best thing you can do is invest your 10k (if you want to do it safely put it in a mutual fund, if you're feeling a little risky then look into the stock market). You're at the perfect age to start investing in retirement. The 10k you invest now in a mutual fund would be worth 320,000 by the time you would turn 55 years old. Get a part time job if you go to school.
>>
>>17278552
>10K turns into 320K
>3200% increase in 35 years
>Average rate of return is 7%

What the fuck mutual fund are you using bro?
>>
>What should I do?
Go to a career center (like at Goodwill) and ask them for help.

>Should I go to university or college?
Avoid college. It's a waste of time and money.

>Should I try to use my resume with two government jobs to try to get a decent job instead?
Yes you should. You'd be surprised how far experience can take you.
>>
>>17278518
>contract work

Personally, I think that's a stupid idea.

But since you've had two contract jobs you could use that to your advantage in getting more contract jobs.

But that getting laid off crap would get on my nerves.
>>
>>17278675
I think government work is a stupidly good offer right out of high school, and can lead to basically any other even remotely related job.
>>
>>17278518

id apply around for the summer and see if you cant get another job. if not by september try last minute enrolling in community college to at least get your general education.

but i find that office work is easy to get once you have experience and you have two different jobs so thats a good start.
>>
>>17278702
My call centre was very much an office and call centre mix, and my file clerk job was basically taking a room of files and completely reorganizing the entire place.

What kind of job titles should I be applying for? Just any kind of office work?
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.