[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
money woes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1
File: 1435986603261.png (272 KB, 447x458) Image search: [Google]
1435986603261.png
272 KB, 447x458
I'm 18, work at a grocery store, and make $9 an hour. This isn't nearly enough money for anything, especially when I'm college bound. It's also nowhere near enough money for the amount of labor involved with the job. I need to know how to make more.
That, or I'm severely disillusioned.

My mom keeps on telling me to "be a server". I know about tips and how they make shitloads a night if they're good, but I'm not sure if I could handle all the stress. It can't be much more stressful than working in the grocery store I work at, but it's also kinda hard to fuck up bagging groceries when compared to waiting.

I'm very good with technology (A+ certified if that means anything to anyone) and I live in a gated community with a shitload of old people who I'm sure need help with computers. I've definitely considered doing a computer business but I don't know how I'd fit it in with my erratic week-to-week day job schedule.

how do I make more money? What jobs are open to a young person like me that doesn't pay shit?
>>
Customer service experience combined with an A+ certification means you're a shoe-in for service desk work. A Service Desk analyst for a major corporation makes a shit ton and all they do is tell people to restart.
>>
>>17277389
do you know how I'd go about looking for a service desk job? I live in Florida so tech work is kinda few and far between
I've checked craigslist periodically but it's always old stuff or obious H1B Bait
>>
>>17277378
Ron?

But seriously, become a server. I work in naples florida as a server and in season i make at mimimum 100$ a day
>>
What part of Florida you live in?
>>
>>17277407
>craigslist :DDDDDDDDDDDDD
fucking kidding me?
indeed.com
linkedin.com
"jobs" from fucking google bro not fucking craigslist wtf
>>
>>17278149
Sarasota

>>17278188
I'm not the brightest knife in the drawer at 4 am
>>
>>17277378

>overtime hours
>get a higher paying job

Literally your only two options as an 18 yr old with zero employment experience
>>
If you can work your way up to an assistant manager anywhere, try. Work hard, work on your people skills. Publix is a great company that pays their assistant managers very decently (like 30-40k a year with great benefits). Present yourself as a trainable individual, and if an assistant manager position pops up, apply for it.
>>
>get on ssi
>start going onto r9k to laugh at wagies

been on ssi since 2011. i get 500usd a month for just being a potato. why only make money when you are on the clock when you could make money even while sleeping? just get a cc and keep a max of 200usd on it and put rest in bank.

if you are living with a parent or someone related then they cannot charge you rent.
>>
>>17278430
I don't want to simply exist I want to live

not to mention it's impossible to live in florida on $500 a month
>>
>>17278378
>Sarasota
Damn. I'm looking for some factory workers here in Miami. Don't know where to find them.

I always wanted to hire robots since I feel like a lot of them have untapped intelligence that goes wasted because hiring is so normie oriented.
>>
>>17278502
I seem to be exactly where the jobs are not

I'd definitely be interested if I were only closer
>>
>>17278480
>just exist
you already are while waiting to go back on the clock but since ye are 18 [and am 26], will ask ye some questions;
>what did you tell the grade-school teacher when asked what you wanted to be when you grew up?
[i said vet but after looking how much you need to study all the things that need to /be/ a vet, i did not wanna be a vet - just wanted to play with the animals. i was just a kid back then, heh.]
>is this something you picture yourself doing in later years?
[i understand that it is just a /job/ but i once was a food bagger for 3years but had to stop because of allergies and my legs were turning into jello all the time + those dead-hours where you just had to stand at your post until someone came in your line. look into video retail or being a night-time janitor at a school. sure the pay might be shit but muh school-tier anime]

>just living off of 500 a month
no. you get a cc and fill it up with 200 then put rest in bank. do this for 6months and you will have 3,000usd saved up and a cc with 200usd on it. stock up on food/drinks. once you move out onto your own, you will get 733usd a month from ssi. 500usd a month = 125usd a week. tax+gross free.
>but muh hobbies/working with hands
get a bike or read some books. you just have to beat the 1year mark then everyday will feel like weekend. i just consume media because that backlog. you can also get on something called community living services which others will come to your house and be a 'paid' friend for an hour.
>>
>>17278188
>indeed.com
Is this good for finding people? I've tried Monster and Career Builder for finding people and I get a bunch of morons.

>>17278596
I bet there are people looking for good employees in your area, it's as hard to find good people as it is to find a job. It's very hard to connect the right people to the right businesses - from both sides (job seeking and hiring).
>>
>>17277378
>falling for the college meme

Wagecucking is the only way.
>>
>>17277378

>this is too much work for this money
>i dont want to be a server though, too much stress

go fuck urself.
>>
>>17278636
It's a CC and my college tuition is paid off

>>17278648
you seem to have misunderstood me
I work in a store that is in the top 5 most trafficked stores out of all 1600+ locations making $9 an hour with no tips and next to no room for vertical development. It's also not even in my field.
Every day there is like a never-ending dinner rush and it never calms down

I would absolutely be willing to be a server with the increase in wage, I'm just nervous about shit like dropping the food or fucking something up big time
>>
>>17278661
What restaurant?
>>
>>17278665
Not a restaurant but a Publix grocery store in a "recently discovered" tourist city

Our grocery department makes about $150k a day where as other stores make that in a week, to give you an idea of how many come to the store
>>
>>17278674

and yet you think that being a server would be too hard.

life handed you a cheat code with the whole server thing. familes are supported off of it. but its 'too much stress' so keep ur minimum wage.
>>
how many hours do you work a week?
>>
>>17278674
Oh you make PubSubs at the deli? Hence the OP pic (thought it was only semi related)
>>
>>17278676
You've got a point there. I'm just nervous as fuck that I'd drop the tray or something. I just don't know how they hold that shit up

>>17278678
I'm front service staff, I've applied to transfer to other departments like the Deli but management ignores me. They won't even train me to be a cashier
>>
>>17278678
Are they dope? I've never had one and I live near a pube-licks (that's what I call Publix)
>>
>>17278683

its rough, if you dont think you can learn balance i wouldnt quit your current job, but if you are ever too scared to do something cuz of 'stress' then you should just live off minimum wage for the rest of your life, cuz life is nothing but stress.

if you can get over your stress bullshit, being a server pays well, but if you want something less erratic and less exhausting physically, just apply for office work.

i applied to work as a receptionist at 10 dollars an hour, got promoted to manager in a week and make 15 at the moment.
>>
>>17278685
I swear by the Boar's Head Italian. Give it a shot, the subs aren't super duper artisan, but it's definitely pretty good.

Also you have to try the publix fried chicken, it blows any other fast food fried chicken out of the water
PFC and Publix Potato Salad is like a childhood comfort food thing for me, kinda greasy though, but absolutely worth it

yeah yeah whatever I work for publix disclaimer disclaimer conflict of interests but keep in mind I shopped there for my whole life before working there.

>>17278687
The thing is (and this is a recurring theme in my life) I'm so nervous to do shit for risk of failure that I just never try anything.
I was like this about my publix job, super stressed and super worried that I'd fuck shit up royaly and get fired the next day, but then I started doing it and Now my managers sing praise about me (but won't bother cross training me to other departments, go figure)

as for balance I could probably just build something to practice with, it wouldn't be too hard
>>
>>17278674
publix is an amazing company to work for, is your location not providing all of the benefits you expect from a publix?
>>
>>17278608
Don't you need to be disabled to receive ssi benefits though?
>>
>>17278701

stop using it as an excuse then, cuz you will not get anywhere in life if it holds you back.

>BUT I GOT THE JOB AT PUBLIX SO-

because you have the job at publix, you are now in a 'safe space'. one so safe that you refuse to try a different job. you immediately dismissed the easiest and most obvious option simply because 'nah id be too stressed'.

remember that bravery isn't a lack of fear. its facing your fear anyway. everyone else has the same worries and doubts, they rarely go in confident. they just go in believing that they will learn as fast as they can and conquer shit.

also you'd be surprised how much shit you can break without getting in trouble. i broke a plate my first day. my friend who got me the job broke an average of 14 shotglasses a week.
>>
>>17278701
>boars head Italian
>fried chicken and potato salad

Alright, my man. Will check them out.

Good luck with the job search
>>
>>17278683
>I'm front service staff, I've applied to transfer to other departments like the Deli but management ignores me. They won't even train me to be a cashier
What does that service desk even do? I know the desk you are talking about but under what circumstances does someone go there? I see people there all the time. Seems to be grocery shopping is pretty straight forward and they shouldn't have questions.

>>17278685
>Are they dope? I've never had one and I live near a pube-licks (that's what I call Publix)
They are like a Florida staple that everyone knows - it's not amazing but it's pretty good and consistent. The problem is never go at lunch time or it takes forever to get. It's such a staple even a Pepe has been made with PubSubs.
>>
>>17278740
I'm not sure what other people use it for but if there's a nice deal going on but they're out of stock on the shelves I go up there and ask for a rain check and they'll give me them to use when they restock.
>>
>>17278712
Well I've been here for 4 months and since the first week I've been telling them I have experience as a cashier and I want to be cross trained as a cashier, they tell me "Great I'll let (other manager) know!" and nothing ever comes of it

They won't give me a permanent name badge, only a temporary one thrown together with a label maker and a template badge and it makes me feel like a disposable worker. I mean, I know I am, but at least try and fool me.

then there's the fact we're either constantly under or overstaffed, never inbetween

I'm definitely interested in the stock options and working in Corporate but as I'm sure you know you need to be working there for a full year or have 1000 hours on record before you can do stock
then you need a college degree to be considered for corporate positions, as far as I can tell.

I like the company and I like working there, but it's just not worth the money when the managers hardly listen to you

>>17278720
my dude you have officially lit the fire under my ass. I'm going to check out some local restaurants on my next days off

>>17278740
"Front Service Staff" is a misnomer, it's really a blanket term for anyone who isn't in a specific department (Meat, deli, grocery, etc.)
We clean/repair/maintain the store, cashier, bag, work the service desk, wrangle carts, etc. We pretty much do whatever needs done, by any means necessary.

As for the service desk, they're essentially assistants to the managers (but not assistant managers). They handle stuff like price disputes, credit cards not working, rain checks, cigarettes, lottery, again anything that needs doing that a lower front service worker can't do.
The people who work there are usually cashiers that've been at the store for a while. The managers rotate who works customer service day by day so it's usually different every day.
>>
>>17278770

>officially lit the fire under my ass
>officially
>knew not to use literally

there is hope for you yet anon, good luck. my advice is to update your resume saying you have barista experience from working a machine during charity dinners.

if they require it you can simply google 'barista training' and find something on youtube. they will still train you at the restaurant cuz you can say 'thats not quite the model we used' and they'll give you a quick once over. its insanely easy, i didnt even watch the training video and picked it up on day one.

also claim charity dinner you did serving, high school required you to do like 30 hours of community service a semester.

its great cuz its 'experience' on the resume but since its just charity dinner you can play it off like you didnt learn anything from it because it was volunteer bs.

it helped me a lot
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.