[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I the only one that gets annoyed by people who are just content
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: hqdefault.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
Am I the only one that gets annoyed by people who are just content to stay complacent, spend most of their time sitting in their house on Netflix, and Instagram pictures of their pets or whatever?

It seems like such a waste of life.

Is it worth trying to expose people to new things?
>>
>caring about what other people do

You're worse than them, m8.
>>
Why does it upset you that someone can be happy from something so simple...? Are you that sad inside?
>>
File: 1397398273561.gif (942 KB, 290x290) Image search: [Google]
1397398273561.gif
942 KB, 290x290
>>17276917
as someone who doesn't feel like they can leave the house unless they have a reason
and reluctantly stays inside all day and feels like they are wasting their life
Yes
plz help
>>
>>17276921
>>17276925

That's why I'm asking... in my mind, life would absolutely be garbage if I wasn't going somewhere neat, learning new things, packing my life full of new experiences.

I see people like my mom, who is increasingly becoming afraid of going outside, or an older friend of mine who recently lost her husband and spends her time focused on her dachshund, who seem "content," but like they're just waiting to die.

It makes me mad/sad, because life is short.
>>
>>17276940

If you're in the southwest US anon, I'll help you, come visit and we will adventure.
>>
>>17276945
You're right, it is short, that's why people want to spend it doing things they enjoy
>>
>>17276917
I don't fully understand what you mean, like someone without a job?
>>
>>17276970

There's a big difference between things that people "enjoy" and what doesn't threaten or challenge, or broaden their horizons, but are still comfortable.
>>
>>17276977

Someone without a job is a relevant example, but I mean someone who lives their life in the same little sphere - that isn't confident to take a trip somewhere, that thinks a dinner night to TGI Friday's is exotic, that has never been outside of their state, that works the same job in the same small office for the duration of their career, never pursuing any growth, but processing the same paperwork every day.
>>
>>17276917
I'm 30. I don't do clubs and parties anymore. That shit is obnoxious. I've traveled. I graduated college. Now I like staying home and watching movies after a long 9 hours at work. If that's annoying or boring, oh well. I lead a comfy as fuck life with plenty of friends and loved ones to be with when I feel like going out.

There are a lot of folks out there who would kill for my life. Dunno what your problem is, OP.
>>
>>17276917

Had a friend who just sat there smoking pot staring into the television and pretty much saying nothing. Had plenty of friends who came over and smoked at his place. His livingroom was a smoking den pretty much. People would converse with each other but he just sat there quetly toking. Years went by like this. Then I met his father and realized his dad had been doing the same routine for the last 50+ years. At that moment I knew: there was no hope in getting this dude to change his ways. I left and haven't looked back since. That was almost 10 years ago. He's probably still sitting there toking away today.
>>
>>17276994
Yeah...apparently minding your own business and not bothering anyone just won't stand with OP's autism.
>>
>>17276981
>There's a big difference between things that people "enjoy" and what doesn't threaten or challenge, or broaden their horizons, but are still comfortable.
You're nobody to define these things on behalf of others. You can follow your philosophy and take whatever action you see fit to broaden your horizons. You have no right to judge someone if they choose to spend an evening reading.
>>
>>17276992
You mean someone who enjoys routine? We can't all be special snowflakes who love traveling while jerking himself off to Pavarotti
>>
>>17276994

I'm 30 too. I can't imagine life without traveling, learning others' stories, "partying," and staying active. I don't understand why it's obnoxious as long as you do it with good people. I definitely don't get staying in and watching movies every day, even though I can appreciate a few good days in a week to rest and recover. I'm just talking about the people who never do anything at all.

>>17276999
>>17277004
>>17277014

Like I said above, I have no problem with anyone who wants to spend a night or couple of nights in and reading. I like the same. But I see the sadness in the eyes of older people who wish they had done more with their lives.

Routine is all well and good, but don't you want to see what the world has to offer? Have some stories to tell?

I didn't mean to come off abrasive with the thread, I really just wanted to understand the mindset, and see if it's a case of people just not feeling comfortable coming out of their shell.
>>
>>17277058
The mindset is freedom of choice.

If someone wants to waste their life then it's their choice to do so.

Listen, I can tell you're young and when you're young you care about shit that has no bearing on your life. When you grow up you'll understand.
>>
>>17277058
>I didn't mean to come off abrasive with the thread
You asked if it was worth "exposing" people to new things as though you knew better than everyone else.
>>
>>17277066

I'm 30, as said in the last post, so you know my age... I'm not sure that most 4channers are that much older or experienced.

Freedom of choice is fine, but someone can choose to eat an expired piece of ham for dinner each night when a nice steak is available that will be a better experience.

>>17277071

Yeah, I think I know better. That's true. A lot of it is sparked by a woman I did some charity work for once that looked at me and told me she wished she'd taken the time to visit more of the world and had a little more fun. She looked so sad, stuck in front of her window hoping a bird would come to the feeder to brighten her day.

She died about 2 weeks later, and just... blah.

My cousin is 30 himself, and spends most of his time reading about bowling and going to his shift at the grocery store and stocking shelves. I can't imagine that's a happy existence.
>>
I don't do fun shit because I play life too defensively. I'd rather preserve the status quo and not step out of my comfort zone than take a chance, even one likely to make my life better.

Maybe I'd step out of my comfort zone if the world really did have something amazing to offer, and if I could hear an interesting story. But so far, there's no indication of that. The world seems like a boring, meaningless place.
>>
>>17277119

See, this is the kind of shit that makes me sad. You're going to die eventually, and you're scared that you're not going to find anything fun, so why even try?

If you don't chase it down, you'll never catch it.
>>
>>17277160
I realize that myself, but this doesn't help me fend off the paralyzing fear that always makes me gravitate towards safer choices when making a decision.

My life is fun enough right now, so I'm content. I don't have the motivation to keep improving it, while fighting off the fear of failure.
>>
I stay home all day but thats because i'm in crippling pain so I REALLY don't feel like going outside. Have you considered perspectives other than your own?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.