[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Road trip
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_20160620_145625474.jpg (588 KB, 1368x2430) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160620_145625474.jpg
588 KB, 1368x2430
Hey /adv/, I'm about to go on a road trip by myself to visit my boyfriend in NY (I'm from MI). I'm feeling pretty nervous about driving that far by myself (About 500 miles between us), especially in my car that should make it there fine, but has a slight possibility of not making it.

Anybody got any tips for super long car rides? I'm gonna make a bunch of CD's, bring snacks, etc. But I feel like I'm just gonna be super bored and get tired. Also still debating on if I should leave during the day time or at night.
Pros for daytime: Will easily be able to spot any deer, feel a bit safer because of light.
Cons of daytime: More drivers on busy highways, more traffic.
Pros of nighttime: less drivers, little traffic
Cons of nighttime: Deer, little light, might get lost easier.

Thoughts and opinions? 19 year old with a '94 Grand Prix. It's rusted and ugly from previous owner, but it runs great. Would any car shops do a free check upon it to make sure it could make the drive? Like Tireman, Belle Tire, places like that if you've heard of them.

Pic related, that's my car. Totally rusted down on the sides, dirty, and off-color spots because the layers peel off.

Thanks for any help!
>>
>>17275312
Sounds dangerous.

Do you have a friend/relative that could go with you?

• don't stop anywhere to use the bathroom and except fast food places like McDonalds----no truck stops or rest areas.
>>
>>17275321
Whoops! I meant only piss/shit at fast food places, not gas stations or rest stops.
>>
>>17275312
Check the very basic things like oil and tire pressure. Top off your brake fluid and engine coolant. Listen to podcasts, stand-up, or audio books too.
>>
That car is facked.
>>
>>17275321
No one else to go with because I was going to stay there for a week. They offered to pay for a plane ticket for my boyfriends birthday present, but that made me feel bad because they've already done that like three times in the past.

Also yeah, I thought about that too so I was only going to stop for gas/food in towns on the way.
>>
>>17275334
Alrighty! I changed the oil about two weeks ago, but I'll get the other stuff done too. Thanks!

>>17275338
Why do you say that? It runs very well, better than my mom's newer car. I know it looks like junk but it has been reliable for me for two years.
>>
>>17275312
nice pussy lol,
>>
>>17275348
Also, if you're really worried you may as well take all the emergency equipment all cars should have: jumper cables and a jack/tire iron for changing tires. Also, a gallon of water if your engine overheats and a fire extinguisher, though most modern cars will probably never light on fire like that. You'll probably be fine, though.
>>
>>17275312
Cell phone, fully charged, with auxiliary power source, cables and car lighter adapter. Bring flashlight. Drive during the day as much as possible and take breaks--do NOT drive on if you're feeling too tired. GL!
>>
>>17275312
get an early morning start and do this in one day. If I were you I'd stick to the interstate. Do you know how far your car will go on a tank of gas? That way you will know how many stops (other than bathroom breaks) and I would stop at interstate rest areas. This time of year there are a lot of families traveling so the rest stops should be full.
>>
>>17275312
Change all fluids
Keep extra oil and coolant and water
Make sure spare tire isn't flat
Keep first aid kit and roadside kit
Bring those emergency starters (the ones that jump your car on its own)

This is kind of overkill but shit that I have for my long trips that go through bumfuck places.
>>
>>17275426
Didn't think about a flashlight, thanks!

>>17275457
My GPS said the longest routes are going to be interstate, so that'll be alright. I'm not sure exactly how far it goes on a full tank, probably about four hours worth or so if that helps. I've got plenty of money set aside for gas anyways. I'm guessing I'll stop three times going there. Thank you!

>>17275482
Thanks so much! I did have to inflate the spare, good idea.

Thanks for the help everyone :)
>>
>>17275348
Take it from a mechanic. That car at most is point a to point b. Get a rental. If one thing goes wrong itll cost more short term versus just paying for a rental. Plus itd be like a vacation more so.
>>
>>17275312
That car is unsafe. With the cills rotted out like that, if you crash the vehicle is going to quite literally disintergrate around you. If you take an impact from the side it'll split the car in to 2 pieces, and wearing your seatbelt isn't going to help you when your seat gets thrown out of the car with you still in it. If you take an impact from the front the loss of rigidity (particularly in an older car like that the cills are the only thing that give it longdituninal strength) means there's a good chance that the engine and gearbox will come back through the bulkhead and in to the passenger compartment - if that happens you and anyone else sat in the front seat are going to have your legs taken off by the force of the impact.
>>
I like audio books and podcasts for long trips. Also have an earpiece or headphones for phone calls. I don't get the fear. I loved long road trips at that age. I drove from Seattle to LA all the time.
I used to generally stop for gas every two hundred miles or so, I mostly had my dog with me, so that seemed to be the right amount of time to let him relieve himself, and make sure I never had less than a quarter tank of gas. I also liked to look look at the map beforehand and find a nice park, landmark, or beach to eat lunch at.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.