[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I feel like absolute horseshit right now. I dropped out of school
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 1434266584807.jpg (37 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1434266584807.jpg
37 KB, 640x640
I feel like absolute horseshit right now. I dropped out of school and am seeing grad photos on a lot of my ex-classmates Facebook feeds (as well as for people in my general age range). I'm back in school now, but it'll be so long before I can feel what they feel, and even then it'll probably feel less meaningful. I'm working a shit job while they're starting amazing careers.

Any suggestions for how I can cheer up right now and get back on my feet? The self-pity doesn't help much but I'm having a hard time pulling out of it.
>>
>>17274621
>Any suggestions for how I can cheer up right now and get back on my feet? The self-pity doesn't help much but I'm having a hard time pulling out of it.

The people in your Facebook feed at presenting an idealized, carefully selected picture of their lives, with all of the bad moments and troubles removed.

Of course you can't compare. Not even them can compare to their own Facebook image.
>>
>>17274621
Your actions have consequences, own the choices you make.
>>
>>17274630

>Not even they can compare to their own Facebook image.

I guess so.

>>17274631

I think that's what I'm trying to do but I'm not sure how to without turning myself into a wreck.
>>
>>17274677
Easy, make the right choices. If you cant do that yourself, have no fear for in currebt year you dont have to look far to see someone trying to lead you in a direction. Just up to you to pick the right leader.
>>
File: HYUCK.png (19 KB, 95x77) Image search: [Google]
HYUCK.png
19 KB, 95x77
Idunno, OP, maybe read my story and rejoice on having it slightly better off? It's the only way I can contribute.

>Started community college.
>Wasn't being taught anything, been charged an arm and a leg anyways.
>Demanded to attend and waste my time, then sent home with 4 hours of homework anyways.
>Dropped out.

Later.

>I'm 24.
>Working a dead end job 6 days a week.
>My life is sleep, wake up, a few hours of video games, go to work for night shift, go home, repeat.
>Trying to socialize just has me meeting a bunch of boring people I never care for, and I can never stay at any event longer than 11PM due to work.
>Never seem to be able to save any more money than $3000 in bank, despite making almost twice than I need for bills, because sleeping in the day messes with my brain and keeps me from making the right decisions all the time.
>Virgin, make account on OK Cupid because whatever.
>"Hi, I'm Alessa, immigrant from Poland. I'm 23 and I work as an editor at the New York Times."
>All of my deadbeat looking friends on Facebook have finished school and seem to have their shit together. Meanwhile, I still struggle with just getting around to clean up my room once a week so I don't wallow in my own garbage.

That's all I got, I hope my selfish call for attention and pity somehow improves your life at least temporarily, OP.

If not, I just play my video games to drive away depression. The upside to working all the time is never having to wait for good releases as my backlog is full of fun shit to play. I still have all of Witcher 1, 2 and 3 to play through for example.
>>
>>17274630
yes but this is a bullshit explanation
some people don't even have any exciting pictures to choose from
>>
>>17274621
Don't let it get you down OP, use it as fuel to better yourself :)

Why did you drop out of school btw?
>>
>>17274621
>cheering up

Op, i'm being SERIOUS, LISTEN to the videos in their ENTIRETY in SEQUENTIAL order

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU

(tell me how you feel when your done!)
>>
>>17275021

Had a heavy networking component to it, made me miserable. I've never been popular - I'm super introverted - the idea that my career and livelihood rested on my ability to form a lot of stable relationships scared the fuck out of me, made me really suicidal, I felt so fucking hopeless. It was as if nothing I did matter, no matter how hard I'd work I'd never go anywhere because I didn't know the right people.

>>17275039

kek, kind of worked. Hard to not be affected by that kind of music, thanks.
>>
If they're like me (and I'm the one on 4chan) they don't feel anything because it's pretty stupid.

There were absolute losers who got to walk across the stage at my school. They showed up stoned af and only walked across the stage to get a certificate of "completion", which is the result of failing everything but still staying in class for some reason. At least you're actually making an effort.

Facebook is also horseshit (and again, still on 4chan).
>>
>>17274621

This is me. While I'm only about to be a college sophomore, half the people I know that graduated are prospering. Recent college grads or good military rank or decent fucking jobs where they at least don't have to live with their parents.

All you can do is say fuck it, keep your head down and nose to the grindstone. Focus on your success and ignore everyone else. Their lives aren't so great. And you could be well on your way to being far and above them.
>>
I dropped out of school technically in Year 8. I say technically because I was expelled from mainstream schooling and chucked in a behavioral school for 2 years. Didn't get SC, HSC etc. Never been to uni and only have a few shit tier qualifications to my name.

The only way to get out of this is to work your fucking ass off. Not motivated enough? Use anger. Channel all that anger and frustration you keep inside to reach your goals.

How does it feel knowing that those people are successful and have used those high school years not only to better themselves, but to laugh at your expense?

How does it feel knowing that your silly antics in school were not the result of people laughing with you, but AT you?

How does it feel knowing that these people have good jobs, relationships etc, are still laughing at you and use you as an example of what not to be for their kids? You got played, manipulated for their amusement, and you being in self pity and depressed kek's them even more.

Are you angry yet? Good. Now go out there and convert that rage to motivation. Learn more shit, try to learn a skill that will get you a high tier job. There are no limits. Never tell yourself that you can't, because every time you do, you add +1 kek to those high school fucktards.
>>
shift your perspective

you're comparing yourself to the people around you unfairly.

the reason that your facebook friends have degrees and are working at their job is because they put in the neccessary work for it and it worked out for them

maybe you did the work you needed to, maybe you didnt, but either way you dont have your degree because it didnt work out for you

maybe its a financial reason

maybe its a motivational reason

maybe you just got super unlucky

I myself have felt like this recently, and i was super depressed a year ago because of it

I was living with my parents again at 21, with only a couple years of college under my belt after graduating at 17 from highschool

I had a scholarship to go to a school in michigan, but a shitty counselor dropped the ball and failed to do the things he promised to do to satisfy the requirements to get me into a co-op to help pay for the rest of my schooling

Went to a school in georgia, home state, after that and i got sick in my second semester there, and had to try to make a medical withdrawal from the school

The school fucked me by double charging me for the semester, and i had to pay for the lost semester TWICE after some legal horseshit

i worked a dead end job for a year 40 minutes from my house when gas prices were over $3.20 a gallon to pay it all off

got laid off cuz the grocery store went out of business

went to a local college at the naval base for a semester, retaking classes at a laughable level (graduated 5th in my class in highschool and never took a band class like the shmucks 4th and higher, took extra math and science courses instead ftfy)

was super lonely, super sad, hardly talked to anyone, angry with myself for where i was in my life, and angry with schooling in general.

Then I had a realization

I was absolutely right!

IT WAS ALL MY FAULT.

certainly luck has something to do with it, yeah i got unlucky
theres some things you cant avoid
(comment too long ill continue in a sec lol)
>>
i cant help getting sick
i cant help shitty counselors
i cant help being unlucky

But you know what i can do?
I can accept them all as my mistakes, even if they aren't!
There's absolutely no reason why you can't take responsibility for your life, even in the face of evidence that its was outside of your control.

I blamed myself completely, then i apologized to myself, and i forgave myself.
I forgave myself for getting sick
I forgave myself for not making certain that counselor did his job
I forgave myself for the mistakes I made

I promised myself i would do better, and realized that it wasn't just myself that i needed to apologize and beg forgiveness from

I went to my parents, god bless them, and thanked them for supporting me not only when i was an 96.8 GPA Gifted AP High School student, but also when i was a deli worker down on his luck.
I figured out that I couldn't sit around and be sorry for myself anymore because it was an affront to their unrelenting faith in me

I moved out, moved to another city 4 hours away with some reliable friends of mine that are in college
Ive been sleeping on their couch now for 9 months, saving money while helping with utilities and rent
I work two jobs, one full time and one part time seasonally
I still find time to hang out with my girlfriend ive met here (been dating 6 months as of the 12th), play videogames every so often, and starting to play some MTG again with some friends ive made at work

Sometimes life sucks gigantic fucking donkey dick
Sometimes it seems like its too much and its gonna overwhelm you
Sometimes you feel like shit and dont want to do anything to help yourself

But you gotta look past all of that shit and keep moving toward your goals, not just to prove naysayers wrong, but also to prove all the people that love you and have faith in you RIGHT!

And Anon, that includes yourself. You obviously care about yourself because you're here seeking advice. You want to improve your situation. (one more lol)
>>
You want things to get better, because you're invested in yourself. You love yourself, and that's perfectly fine!
Things will get better, because your moving forward to achieve a better tomorrow. You're getting an education, you're going to school, you have a goal and a visualization of what you want to do with your life.
That already puts you ahead of some people in school right now that have no clue of what they are doing

and man, life's not a race!
I figured out that life's not about getting a shitload of money so you can prove to other people that you're better than them
its not about achieving things to rub it in other peoples face

Goals are for US!!

Success is determined by the person who sets the goal!

and its okay for your goal to be fame, or money, or popularity, finding someone to share your life with, any of these things are normal things to want

Its just important that its YOUR goal, and its whats going to make YOU happy, and that you're working on it, one day at a time.

Figure out what YOU want

then learn how to ask for it

even if asking for it means working really fucking hard, for a long time
the work itself will bring you a little closer to what you're looking for, a little at a time

now, after reading this, do you feel any better?
Do you feel like you can take any of this away and apply it to your life a little?
If not, if this just sounds like a bunch of nonsense to you, like im just being idealistic and i dont really understand what you're going through, consider this

I didnt really have a sudden realization after being mad at myself for X time

I was volunteering. I did some yard work for a neighbor who had cancer while i was out of a job, advice from my dad, he just wanted me out of the house more lol.

I was angrilly pulling weeds out of a lake, knee deep in water when he came up behind me and put his hand on my shoulder, and told me that i had done enough for the day. It was dark outside, and i had been pulling weeds for 5hours
>>
without realizing it.

Dont be like me, and have to have an epiphany of anger to realize that you need to forgive yourself and move on dude

Thats all i got. Good luck Anon, I know if you keep working hard, you wont need it.
>>
>>17274621
We all take our own house if life just cause you dropped out doesn't make you less of a person I mean I know the feel of being behind. But we all work at our own pace its going to get done that's all that matters keep your head up and work hard
>>
It doesn't matter of you drop school or not.
As long as the rest of your life is fine...

You still can be a depressed piece of shit while having your degree.
>>
Uninstall facebook and stop getting on social media it's just a tool to fuck girls and find girls who you'd consider fucking anyways
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.