[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Parents divorcing after a bankrupcy and I've nowhere to go
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: xv6tWpAJj0E.jpg (703 B, 32x32) Image search: [Google]
xv6tWpAJj0E.jpg
703 B, 32x32
So this story has a lot of layers so I'll try to cut through them as swiftly as possible.

I'm a long term unemployed 28 year old male with a useless STEM degree. I live with my folks because I lack the means to do otherwise.

They've (and by extension I've) just gotten through a nasty bankruptcy and saving are essentially zero. Thought we were through the worst of it but now Mom is pushing for a divorce (they've been in a loveless cohabitation marriage for decades because they had nowhere else to go).

I loathe both my parents passionately, they are both horrible emotionally abusive manipulators that severely fucked up both my life and the lives of my siblings. The only reason I can even tolerate living with them is that there's enough physical separation within the house to keep my sanity.

If the divorce goes through whoever "gets" the house likely won't be able to keep it, and thus will be forced into temporary housing because again, they have no money at all.

Point is if they get a divorce, I have nowhere to live anymore. Has anyone ever been in a situation like this before and if so is there anything I can do? I can't force people to be in a marriage they hate, but there's no one in my life I can turn to for housing.
>>
>>17273480
>I'm a long term unemployed 28 year old male
Stopped reading there. Stop being a manchild, get a job and move the fuck out.
>>
>>17273489
Hey man it's not for lack of trying. I apply to tons of shit but the unemployment around here is obscene and I've got nothing to lift my application above the hordes of applicants.
>>
>>17273503
Where do you live? East coast? West Coast?
>>
>>17273548
East coast, Rhode Island specifically. Most of my applications are in Massachusetts though because RI is a jobs graveyard.
>>
>>17273554
Do you have any plans in the event you become homeless?
>>
>>17273586
I have a few hundred dollars in physical cash, I "have" a car but it's technically in my parents name so it'd likely get fucked over in the divorce proceedings.

I don't really have any plan for this because the threat of it pretty much came out of nowhere. Always been one of those empty threats in the past because the debt forced my folks to suffer together rather than suffer apart.

I've got a therapist but beyond that no one out there really cares, I have a grandmother who might put me up but I think that's where my mother will probably end up so that's a no go.

I haven't the slightest where things would progress from there but it wouldn't be anything good.
>>
>>17273600
My only suggestion is to move to the nearest homeless shelter in Massachusetts in the event you get kicked out, like in Boston.
>>
>>17273480
27 year old with useless STEM degree here. Been working at a grocery store for the past two years and just got promoted to manager. Even though it's increased my poverty levels, being on my own has helped tremendously.

I would first, above anything, get a McJob. I know it seems like an endless trap of rejection but if you walk into places and act normal eventually someone will hire you. Having your own income stream, however meager, will help your state of mind and independence a lot. Moreover, it will lessen your parents' control over you; if you want to keep staying with one of them you can claim to be paying your way and helping them out with expenses. For the same reasons, you really need to find your own place. I know you lack the means right now, which is why this is priority #2, but don't overlook roommate arrangements on craigslist etc; a lot of people are in a shitty boat for housing right now through no fault of their own, but having your own place will insulate you substantially from your parents' bullshit. If you can pull in $1200/month and pay $500/month for rent, you're already better off than you were, even though that's poverty tier.

Apologies if you already knew these things, I'm just trying to relay what worked for me and took me a while to learn.
>>
>>17273768
Even McJobs require you to reply online. Plus you have to go through their bullshit personality quiz section.
>>
Find the nearest library, use their internet for everything. Find the nearest homeless shelter & check yourself in before it's too late. Expect to lose the car & secure a bike on Craigslist. Also learn the bus system. Get a McJob - preferably one that doesn't hesitate to give you free food as a perk. Work overtime as much as possible. Save money.
>>
>>17273480
So get a job at McDonalds or stacking shelves at Walmart or loading trucks or sweeping streets. We're not talking about a career suitable for a STEM graduate. We're talking about a job, something to keep you alive.

(And how much did supporting you contribute to the bankruptcy?)
>>
>>17273480
>has education
>blames everyone else on their failure
>lets them dictate your life

Seriously, what the fuck.

For starters, get the fuck over it. You need to take responsibility for your own life. No one other than you has caused you to be a failure. In fact, your parents are currently keep your from being homeless and you're blaming them for it?

Get a fucking job and get an apartment. There are so many low-income housing you can apply for that would allow you to get by with practically no money at all. Like apartments that cost only $300 a month.

Stop waiting for other people to fix your fucking life. You're sitting around just waiting for your parents to make a decision. You have no one to turn to? Really? That's your fucking go to thought process? "Someone please help poor little me. Someone take care of me."

You have yourself to turn to. Man the fuck up. You are not too good to work at mcdonalds.

Odds are you won't learn anything from this and just end up latching onto someone else. Then you'll be in this situation in another couple years asking the same question "Who will take care of me?"
>>
>>17273838
What? What do those things have anything to with... fucking anything?

are you OP?
>>
File: 1464907272882.jpg (25 KB, 216x395) Image search: [Google]
1464907272882.jpg
25 KB, 216x395
>>17273480
This is the best advice I can give you, friend
>>
>>17274085
He's just worried walking into places will just deny him and tell him to apply online

I am too, I have had it done to me
>>
>>17274124
Free internet @ Libraries. Being told to apply online isn't denial. I went to a job fair and was told to apply to a job online. Despite that, I got hired and have been working for them for nearly 8 years now.
>>
>>17274128
will you be a fake reference for me
>>
>>17274153
I'd rather stay anon, anon :) Have your more successful friends or ex-coworkers be your references. Few employers bother to call them.
>>
>>17274124
How is that denial? They are just telling you how to apply. It's the opposite of denial.

As for needing a way to go online that is a non-issue as well. A lot of these places have computer available for you to use to apply online. Or to simply apply to the store. Places like Target, Kmart, and Walmart have them.

Personality tests are not bullshit. No one wants to hire a psychopath. They aren't exactly that hard or confusing either. If you find a personality test as an issue... christ. Just answer the way they want someone to.
>>
>>17274283
It's a easy way to deny people. Have them apply online and when it's more than enough people you need just reject all applications. There are simply too many people seeking jobs and too few actual openings in comparison.
>>
>OP has a degree in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)
>OP doesn't want to apply for jobs using technology
>>
What useless STEM degrees are you guys talking about??
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.