[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm 22 and I still play video games a lot during my free
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: H5GMB_Gameplay_Truth1.jpg (593 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
H5GMB_Gameplay_Truth1.jpg
593 KB, 1920x1080
I'm 22 and I still play video games a lot during my free time. I tried to quit a while ago, but when I started dating a girl that plays, I started again.

I believe I use it as a way to cope. I don't have any real life friends, and even if I did I would rather just play games with my online ones (with the exception of my gf)

It also makes it hard because I was majoring in Computer Science (which I now switched to Information Systems) and all of my classmates seemed like man children.

This behaviour wasn't a big deal when I was 15, but I am getting older now and I feel that it may be hurting my chances of getting motivated in life.

I also don't want to be known as that guy who never grows up.
>>
File: 413514042.jpg (103 KB, 650x433) Image search: [Google]
413514042.jpg
103 KB, 650x433
>>17267939
>>
File: 1466118606462-g.jpg (54 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1466118606462-g.jpg
54 KB, 500x375
>>17267939
Video games aren't immature. I know fifty year olds who play nothing but doom, quake, and ut. Use in moderation anon.
Treat vidya like tv or movies. Don't overindulge all your time but use in moderation. It's all entertainment so treat it as such.
>>
Hello, OP. I'm 27 myself. What kind of games do you play? Some of that shit can turn to motivation in real world jobs.
>>
>>17267965
>Hello, OP. I'm 27 myself. What kind of games do you play? Some of that shit can turn to motivation in real world jobs.

When I was younger it was Halo, AoE, Command and conquer, and other games.

When Halo 3 came out I exclusively played that until 2010.

Then that turned into a LoL obsession for 5 years.

Now I play Rocket League and Halo again. Its more casual, but I feel like I am slowly going back to my old ways.
>>
I don't think video games are inherently a bad thing. However you are right to be concerned about any activity which makes you feel like a way to cope. What do you think you are coping with? What could you change about your life that would make you feel like you are not coping anymore? If you did have friends and a healthy social life then is there a possibility you would feel less guilty about playing video games? Then the problem is not strictly about video games, the problem is about your lack of effort toward socializing. Socializing is scary but it is worth the effort in the long term.
>>
>>17267973
I see. Socializing is a huge part of life. Believe me. Do you have a job right now? Even being slightly competent with electronics is a huge advantage
>>
You have bigger issues than games if you blame all your problems on them
>>
>>17267939

As long as you're not allowing it to affect your studies/work/relationship then its not in any way a problem
>>
>>17268002
>>>17267973 (You)
>I see. Socializing is a huge part of life. Believe me. Do you have a job right now? Even being slightly competent with electronics is a huge advantage

Yes I do, in working full time over the summer.

And I do force myself to socialize a bit, but I just feel really annoyed with it after a while.
>>
>>17268112

You just sound like an introvert and thats fine, do what you want man, its your life, fuck what other people think. No mature adult thinks playing video games in your free time is childish, its just another form of entertainment.
>>
Seriously, dude. I'm 39 and still play vidya and watch animu. And no, I'm not one of those fat neckbeard virgin NEETs living in the basement. I'm a normal guy with a job and gf and all.

As long as you don't get so obsessed with vidya that it takes away all your free time, you're fine. You can never be too old for it.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.