[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If I am in a foreign country and have run out of money, can I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1387450660079.gif (2 MB, 350x190) Image search: [Google]
1387450660079.gif
2 MB, 350x190
If I am in a foreign country and have run out of money, can I go to am embassy and get a flight to my home country?

I've got enough for another week of food if I sleep rough which gives me time to get the flight sorted
>>
>>17263658
US foreign service officer here, no.
>>
>>17263662

I have a UK passport, sorry should have said that.
>>
>>17263658
>Got the Internet.
>Not contacting the bank of mom and dad.
>Wants a free hand out so if parents don't worry.
>>
>>17263658
Probably not, whatever your country. The most you're likely to get is assistance in contacting someone back home who could lend you the money for a ticket.
>>
>buying your return ticket out there.

What travel blog gave you that gem of advice?
>>
>>17263667

Or maybe its because my mum couldn't afford to and my dad wouldn't help. Maybe I've already asked?

>>17263668

Okay, thanks for that. I'll go tomorrow and just ask what they can do I guess.
>>
>2016
>not having globally supported credit cards
>>
>>17263687
Hey. Numbnuts. Not every country hands out credit cards like candy. In some places, it's actually very fucking hard to get cleared for a credit card.

Not sure if UK is one of those places, but lighten up ffs. OP must have a reason for not having one.
>>
No, embassies do not do that. At most they can assist you in contacting your parents or friends back home.

How did you manage to get into that kind of situation anyway? No flight booked back home?
>>
>>17263696
OP sure sounds like someone who plans everything well and I'm sure the situation is 100% not his fault.
>>
>>17263702
Well I can't fault that logic, but it is also an unfair assumption to say he is stupid for not having a credit card. Where I currently live, you need to have a good history of purchases and a good income before your banks going to even consider issuing a credit card.

It is perfectly understandable that you might not be able to take a credit card when you travel. But not taking other forms of backup is pretty dumb (travellers checks, a compatible bank card, cash, just something for security).
>>
>>17263658
Commit a crime, get deported.
Yay!
>>
>>17263664
For what it's worth it, the embassy of my country (Netherlands) explicit state on the website they will not provide money.
I imagine it's the same for the UK.
>>
>>17263664
They don't care. Embassies are for drumming up business and investment.
>>
>>17263664
>I have a UK passport, sorry should have said that.
The only time the Foriegn Office will cover the cost of your flight is if you've died and are being repatriated or if you've been arrested and are undergoing extradition. Even then it's not actually "free" - in the first case they'll give your next of kin a bill for the cost, and the second case they'll charge you for it.

Having said that, you should still go anyway. If there's anything at all that can be done, they're the blokes who will know about it. There are charities that exist for this kind of thing, so you might get lucky.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.