[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi, Any programmers here? If so I was wondering if its possible
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: ruby-on-rails.jpg (27 KB, 700x526) Image search: [Google]
ruby-on-rails.jpg
27 KB, 700x526
Hi, Any programmers here? If so I was wondering if its possible to be a software engineer without a degree?
>>
nope

Engineers are an order. You need to be qualified to be able to call yourself an engineer.
>>
>>17258403
It's a fucking joke today. Go to Udacity, Udemy. And priate the fucking courses and take the fucking degrees in a less a month.
Current Java EE, Python with Django, Ruby, .Net. If you have good damn logic and understand peopple you are one of the best programmers. But if you don't understant peopple but have a good logic, you will a regular programmer. And if you don't have logic and don't understand peopple just give up. The People will give you a lot of impossible shit to do, and you have to do someway.
>>
No, you get a degree in software engineering. No one's going to hire someone who's 'self taught' if they don't have years of work experience in the field
>>
>>17258419
even if I develop a portfolio?
>>
>>17258419
>>17258410
All this faggots. Don't listen to this people they are fucking with you,
>>
>>17258414
joke? how so?
>>
Good to know.

No op, but interested in getting a real job. So I can get into a comp sci maters program with a humanities degree? Also, what programming types should I learn? As you can tell, Im completely new.
>>
>>17258425
who's going to hire you without any work experience?
>>
>>17258425
Even if you develop a portfolio. A few months of teaching yourself and 'building a portfolio' is not going to impress anyone, especially considering how anyone can look up this shit online these days.
>>
File: aaaa.png (410 KB, 3000x3000) Image search: [Google]
aaaa.png
410 KB, 3000x3000
>>17258430
Becuase I work as Software Engineering and I don't have a fucking degree. It's really fucking eaasy if you understand people and have a good damn logic.
>>
>>17258438
oh!
>>
>>17258438
what's your opinion of code academy?
>>
I was going to skip this thread, until I realized no one knows what you're talking about.

"Programmer", "software engineer" and "developer" means different things to different people.

Can you write decent programs without a degree? Absolutely, it just lakes practice, time, and some learning.

Will you build the next search massively parallel queueing system? Absolutely fucking not, you need to learn about algorithms, data structures, synchronization and whatnot.

But android/iOS apps? Web apps? Automation scripts? Sure, go for it. Some people will always employ you. My recommendation is that you start with a job search in your area to get a feel for how many
>>
>>17258429
You can't randomly call yourself an engineer. You need to be accredited and you're answerable to your order.

Oh wait, you life in some shit, third-world country don't you? It's the difference between a dietician and a nutritionist. (only the first one is legit)

OP: you can call yourself a programmer, webmaster, w/e, but you cannot be a software engineer without a degree.
>>
>>17258437
>>17258435
even for entry level positions?
>>
Yes. Professional software developer here without a degree.

Although I did lie about a degree to get this job, there a lot of people without one and I was freelancing before making decent money with no degree. You need to have experience/something to show/be able to talk about shit + basic algo knowledge.

SV likes to think of itself as a meritocracy.
>>
>>17258450
If you don't even have a qualification to show that you know the basics of what you're doing, just a measly 'portfolio' you scraped together in a couple of months, how in the world do you plan to land an entry level position?
>>
>>17258447
oh, I didn't know the difference between those three terms. thanks for the clarification.
>>
Is it possible? Sure. Is it easy? No. You're going to need to build up one hell of a portfolio, and it will need to demonstrate more than just coding skill. But it CAN be done. Are you prepared?
>>
File: NAXlxRb.png (114 KB, 694x670) Image search: [Google]
NAXlxRb.png
114 KB, 694x670
>>17258437
Everyone can do Stupids app and web pages. But EE and SE aplications is the real fucking deal in the field.
>>17258448
You have a point in there. For peopple call you engineer you need to be accredited, that is fucking right. I work in a Company of USA and a Company in India, and my underlings are engineers. But you can kick the ass of any engineer of software, because for doing a software EE or SE. You need to have a good logic and understanding the user request.
>>
>>17258448
there's no accreditation system for "software engineers" retard. it's a title on par on with developer, programmer, analyst, etc.
>>
>>17258459
makes sense, so would you suggest I continue school and develop a portfolio in the mean time as well?
>>
>>17258475
Yes, definitely. School will give you the legitimacy you need, and a portfolio may help set you apart from everyone else who's bought into the STEM meme
>>
>>17258466
I believe I am.
>>
>>17258473
http://www.abet.org/

two seconds in google
>>
>>17258477
would you recommend computer science or computer engineering?
>>
>>17258478
No you're not. It literally requires spending more time on gaining experience and working up your portfolio than a degree would take.
>>
>>17258486
I don't know much about this area (I do know that you're going to have a LOT more trouble finding a decent job if you're self taught than if you have a degree). But from what I've seen from the people around me, it depends on what you like, really. Either can land you a good job
>>
You're going to get hostile responses from people who went to school OP. If they say "no" it invalidates their very expensive piece of paper.

But to answer your question: yes, you can. You need to try harder though. You need to Google.
>>
>>17258486
Both will get you more or less the same kind of job.
If you have both choices, computer science will be more focused on theory (finite state machines, regular grammars, shit like that)
>>
>>17258497
I'm >>17258419. I don't even study STEM, I have nothing to be bitter about here. It's just common sense that, if you don't have a ton of work experience, a degree is going to prove to an employer that you somewhat know what you're doing.
>>
>>17258498
how important is theory in the profession?
>>
>>17258501
Well your statement is objectively wrong. People who are self-taught get hired. It does narrow your options with large corporations but among startups it doesn't matter. You just need something to show, demonstrate that you have knowledge, and are sociable.

Creating some apps/sites, contributing to OSS..

And there are a ton of less prestigious/well-paying programming jobs that you can get if you're personable, just like any other job.
>>
>>17258516
>You just need something to show, demonstrate that you have knowledge, and are sociable.
Uh yeah, that's the work experience. It's like you didn't even read what I said.
>>
>>17258523
experience != work experience
>>
Everyone here who is saying you don't need a degree and you can just teach yourself and build up a portfolio is forgetting that a degree shows more than the fact that you can code in several languages. A degree also shows
>time management
>the ability to meet deadlines
>teamwork
>dedication to finishing something
>that you can follow instructions
>the ability to do *something* full time (even better if you work part time while studying)
>the ability to manage stress
etc.
>>
>Software engineer
No
>"Programmer"
Yes

>>17258414
It's only a joke if you think programming skills only equate to code monkey status.
>>
>>17258620
Good points.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.