[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Quick question Somebody backed up into my car in a parking lot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 850R.jpg (200 KB, 900x641) Image search: [Google]
850R.jpg
200 KB, 900x641
Quick question

Somebody backed up into my car in a parking lot and did a bit of damage to it. Their insurance will cover it, no big deal. But it's an old car and I just want to pocket the money.

I took the car down to a body shop and they quoted the damage at about $2500. Then I took it to the insurance company's shop and they said they'd only quote me for $1200, and said if the shop I went to needed more they would give it to them.

Is there any way for me to get more money out of their insurance company if I don't plan on getting the car fixed?
>>
File: 1439568482353.jpg (15 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
1439568482353.jpg
15 KB, 450x450
Gonna bump this once and go answer some other threads
>>
Your only recourse is probably to shop around for a more expensive place or something

otherwise no unless you want to get into lawyers and shit
>>
>>17257518
The insurance co won't give you any more than the book value of the car. They're probably classing it as "fair" condition. You might be able to convince them to upgrade it to "good" and get a little more out of them. And since the car is for their purposes totalled, you should get the check directly, to spend as you wish.
>>
>>17257525
They aren't classifying the car as totalled, though. They're giving me the estimate repair cost from the accident. The only problem is I know it would cost more if I took it to a shop, but I don't want to go to a shop - I just want all the money I can get to spend on buying a better car.
>>
Play bully.

It's not your insurance, it's your enemies, of course they don't want to pay up. Get your shop quote, and get your amount for the damage done to your vehicle.
>>
>>17257526
>I just want all the money I can get to spend on buying a better car.
If your car is not totalled, they'll be resistant. You can try asking for a cash settlement, but they may or may not be willing, and you'll get less money.
>>
>>17257538
>>17257544
I tried this over the phone but I really can't argue when they say they will cover any additional costs to the shop. Problem is, I'm not taking it to a shop.

Would it be a bad idea to just say I want the money for myself?
>>
>>17257563
Yeah, if you play too hard, they'll write a check restricted on how it can be cashed. What you could do, is a little on the illegal side.. But you could find a template or make yourself a shop ticket from a fake shop with a number/address you could be found at, and put in detail the work required for the accident damages, and the amount it's going to cost. It'll be quite a bit of research on parts cost, and job labor hours mixed with your own shop costs. But, has highest potential pay out if you are just that unhappy with what they offered.
>>
>>17257577
I was considering this and ran it by the insurance guys that I might consider taking it to a "friend"

They told me the only way they could give out supplemental funding was if the person was a registered mechanic. Seeing as I'm not one, I don't think I could get a check written in my name with the extra cash I'm looking for.
>>
>>17257577
This is a very bad idea. Insurance fraud carries steep penalties that would dwarf any money OP could possibly get.
>>
If you lawyer up, they take about 1/3. For the sum of money you're talking about, I don't thik it would be worth it.

The insurance beaurocracy is a hard nut to crack. They have lawyers on retainer, so playing hardball is no big deal to them.

I don't think you're likely to get more than what they offered.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.