[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT. Teacher is asking me to repeat the exam
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: Mom2.png (3 MB, 1409x1593) Image search: [Google]
Mom2.png
3 MB, 1409x1593
I failed a course at college and I had to do an exam to which I did study HOWEVER I did not understood much of what I studied because I didn't go to class most of the semester.

My hope was that maybe, just maybe, it would be easy enough for me to get a problem or two done.

When I entered the classroom, I realized I was the only one that didn't pass the course. I had gotten word that the professor decided to give a shitload of points at the end and most ended up passing (literally everybody except me).

I sat down, tried to do it, did some things here and there until I felt comfortable and delivered it, I was unsure if what I did was right but whatever who cares, from that moment I was already coming to terms with repeating the course next semester.

To my surprise I received an email from the Professor at midnight saying something along the words

>Somebody opened my car at a store tonight and took my briefcase with your exam. Could you please repeat it one of these days?

I am unsure on how to answer to this, really. But what I am more unsure of is if what hes saying is true or if this is his way of letting me know ''You are an idiot and did terrible in this easy as shit assignment. So I made up this to give you a second chance''. But why would he do that? If he wanted me to pass the course he would just give me the minimum score needed without needing me to come and repeat the exam.

Anyhow, how should I respond, I am severely autistic and dont know how to sound polite

''Thats a shame, I can repeat the exam any day you are available''

Something like that?

Please fucking respond
>>
>>17256886
>Dear Professor SoAndSo,

I am sorry to hear that your car was rifled through, I would be happy to take the exam at your earliest convenience. Please let me know when you are available.

Sincerely,

Anon
>>
yes, that's fine.
>>
Because JUST your exam script was taken in the briefcase, right?
>>
>>17256901

Hey I am just paranoid and autistic man!
>>
>>17256886
You shouldn't tell him that you'll take it asap, tell him you're going to be out of town for a week or something since the semester is over, buckle down and crunch for that shit. Taking it again tomorrow or whatever, you will be just as unprepared and fail again. Seize this opportunity.
>>
>>17256930

I did thought of that and, honestly, I am too introverted to ask for that much and he did say that it had to be one of these days (as in this week), that gives 3 days.

I dont think no amount of crunching can save this ship. I am actually kind of pissed because when I got out of the exam today I at least could say ''Well I tried, probably failed, but now I can move on to other things'' but here I go again.
>>
>>17256933
If the exam was today or yesterday, it might be a little harder to ask for time, but if this was your last exam/end of semester, you can definitely claim you had vacation plans. The thing is, you have the upper hand here - an email stating that he lost your exam before grading it. He can't turn around and fail you for asking for a little time. Does "one of these days" mean something specific in your native tongue? To me that does not sound like a 3 day ultimatum. Also, if he really is trying to throw you a lifeline, I can't imagine what he expects to improve in 1-2 days, unless he plans to administer a much easier exam or maybe the same exact one, hoping that you can at least look up the answers in the meantime.
>>
>>17256945

Yeah the exam was today. And the direct traduction of what he said is ''any day on this week?''

Its just all weird desu.
>>
>>17256967
I dunno then, I would at least try to say that you headed back to your hometown after the exam, can you come take the test on monday. that way at least you have 5 days, if you focus you should be able to at least get the minimum needed grade. If he insists that you need to do it by friday, do your best I guess, 3 days is still something. Definitely don't reply telling him you're ready whenever he likes, since that could be tomorrow.
>>
>I am unsure on how to answer to this, really. But what I am more unsure of is if what hes saying is true or if this is his way of letting me know ''You are an idiot and did terrible in this easy as shit assignment. So I made up this to give you a second chance''.

Yep.

At the beginning of post-secondary, all the profs talk about how you're an adult now and responsible for your own shit and how they don't give a shit because they have their own lives etc etc etc

But I have found that, at the end of the day, they are still human and want their students to succeed. Of course, every prof is different, and it depends on the circumstances. But it really sounds like this guy just doesn't want to have to fail you, so he's giving you another chance.

Don't waste it.

>But why would he do that? If he wanted me to pass the course he would just give me the minimum score needed without needing me to come and repeat the exam.

I would think that it has to do with the fact that they are accountable for the marks and can't just make shit up out of nowhere without some risk. I mean, I don't think the faculty would check every paper they mark, but it has always seemed to me like profs can't just wave a magic wand and give you marks from nowhere. I remember last time I handed in a paper late, even after discussing it with my prof and having the penalty mitigated, she still wanted me to send her an email pretty much telling her what we already discussed, as if she required some record of it in case she was questioned. I don't know how the system works, but it seems like they are under some scrutiny.

But why would he do that? If he wanted me to pass the course he would just give me the minimum score needed without needing me to come and repeat the exam.
>>
Teacher chiming in.

You need a lot of evidence to fail a student. The grades all semester long need to be documented, it needs to be shown that you reached out to that student, and that you did everything in your power to help them pass.

Your teacher doesn't want to deal with that.

And if you fail after a 3rd try, then that's evidence enough.
>>
>>17256999
No offense, but that sounds like bullshit - I'm sure it's true in compulsory education, but for universities, if your grades = failing that's that. It may differ from country to country.
>>
>>17256999
>it needs to be shown that you reached out to that student, and that you did everything in your power to help them pass.
I've never heard of that in my life. I agree with >>17257018, it's not the teacher's responsibility to ensure that every student passes if the student can't be fucked putting in the effort.
>>
>>17256999

Are you a grade-school teacher? This sounds like it'd be true of K-12, but not university.

Pretty sure there's no obligation for a prof to "reach out" to a student in post-secondary. All the proof they need is "look at how shitty they did."
>>
>>17256886
He looks like a too kind professor, let me guess, he's young? He's giving you a second chance.
>>
>>17256886
>Didn't go to class
>Failed

Is it remotely possible that there is a connection of some sort between those two facts?
>>
>>17257092

Yeah tell me about it.

>>17257082

Not that young. Dudes kind of weird tho.

I dont know about second chance, I am pretty sure I got one problem out of two. Thats enough for him to determine that I fucked up and call it a day.
>>
>>17257095
if he lost the test a few hours ago and thinks you'll retake it tomorrow, there's a good chance it will be the same exact exam - he won't have time to prepare another. Do you think you can look up the answers, talk to other students, etc. to pass the test?
>>
>>17257102

I doubt it anon.

Theres two possibilities here.

If his briefcase was stolen, then I will just do the exam and it will be like nothing happened.

If it was like I supposed it was in the OP, then I will do the exam, probably fail it, and walk out of there embarrassed because of it. Dude will probably be pissed because he wasted his time again.
>>
>>17257150
do you really think he had time to create a totally different test between midnight and now? I feel like you have a pretty good chance to take the exact same test, with the order of questions rearranged at most
>>
>>17256886
Didn't see anyone ask...but what subject is it?
>>
>>17257360

I have no idea, probably already has all the variations in his laptop and just prints whatever hes going to apply.

He told me exam will be today, again, at the same hour.

>>17257365

A course on Compressible Flow.
>>
well you lucked out, send a reply for make-up test and study it. he might even use the same questions to ensure that you succeed
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.